Tottenham Hotspur vs Southampton | Wednesday 9 Feb | 19:45 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Skipp too obv, but again without 2 bonafide WC MFs, I maintain we need 3 CMs.

......We can't just stumble along like a dysfunctional mess the moment we are missing just 1 of Skipp or B'cur. It needs to be coached as a functioning unit with interchangeable parts.... It's not like a Conte MF demands mercurial talent and KDB-level creativity; just solid footballers with a good head on their shoulders. These shouldn't be painfully difficult to find!

Again I suggest; throw Kulu in there; he's a big lad with work-rate and can handle the ball.... Let's see what he's got.

A proper CM and RWB are the two absolute priorities in the summer. If we fail to sign a (genuinely good) player in either position then the window will be a failure.

And I do think we will see Kulusevski in a midfield role at some point. Should be interesting.

A proper CM and RWB are the two absolute priorities in the summer. If we fail to sign a (genuinely good) player in either position then the window will be a failure.

And I do think we will see Kulusevski in a midfield role at some point. Should be interesting.

For want of a better expression, our major signing needs to be a CM... Someone that you can look at from the off and say "he'll be a game-changer; no doubt". I've been saying this ever since Jan 2020, when it was clear we needed to a monster-level-DM to properly unleash TN & GLC..... Sadly we've been side-tracked with the shit-ness of those 2 ever since. Time to finally move the fuck on.

His potential brain farts led to a number of penalties against us!

Errrrr..... Yeh. That's what I alluded to...... Funny though, the much revered Rose & Walker had a patchy track record too...

And his end product was okay but not that impressive.

Re-read your post.... You said he was more pace and athleticism than footballer.

I stand by my rebuttal. His end product was good (not elite); better than anyone we've had before or since.

Last edited:
Whenever we play a team who are a well functioning unit capable of pressing well, it's a dice rol
I thought we'd started to find solutions to this. We'd just come off a good game against Brighton, who do press well as a team.

I am hoping Southampton was a bad day, but I was also surprised Conte didn't switch to 352, as he's used this before to good effect when our MF 2 can't cope with the press.

Walker>Trippier>Aurier>Royale

KWP is better than the last 2 and on occasions the last 3 or all of them.

I wasn't for a split second saying that Serge was better than Walker, but his G&A rate (See "end product") certainly was.

However, considering how often Trippier was rinsed defensively I'd have chosen Aurier > Trippier.

I thought we'd started to find solutions to this. We'd just come off a good game against Brighton, who do press well as a team.

I am hoping Southampton was a bad day, but I was also surprised Conte didn't switch to 352, as he's used this before to good effect when our MF 2 can't cope with the press.

I don't think we'll be fully over it until we sign new players. Winks is a capable player in many ways, but Southampton physically dominated him and he doesn't have the technical ability to cope with it. Hojbjerg struggled too, and the likes of Sanchez/Emerson were just throwing possession away. Some days (like Brighton) we might find a way to deal with it, but with these players you're never going to be sure they deal with it. Southampton flew out the blocks and we never really got to grips with it.

What I'd give for prime Walker, Dembele and Toby in this team. Three signings in those positions of that type would elevate us to a totally different level.

Any chance ours can😀we dec
I’m just glad Daniel and Fabio thought RWB wasn’t a priority this January. We really showed how the right side is top notch tonight. Fuck, this loss really has me in a bad fucking moo
Davies, Winks, Royale, Hoj were very poor today. Unlucky not to at least get a point though. Defensive howlers, Emerson defensive game poor, out of position, too sloppy. Davies deary me - we miss Dier that really says something. Bad game management all in all and Southampton were up for it and it paid off. As much as I hate this Husenhutl idiot, intensity and comittment was there from them. Not matched by us only in patches in the second half. Not good enough.
tgosvis the thing why don’t have that as a minimum? We play defensive anyway but just with numbers back as we can’t actually prevent goal scoring chances. Really expect us to be at least up for the fight under conte. However that doesn’t look likely. We certainly ain’t going to play silky passing football. I really conte has to show more than this predicable football. Change tactics formation give some youngsters ago? It’s all the same even the subs are predictable. Reggae always goes off and moura two players with pace. Puts davies lb. Bloody play white in cm with skipp and Ben. Play 443. Get rid of this WB nonsense it’s not compatible with the players we have.

Guessing PEH and bentancur are starting Sunday.
Id like to see skipp white and Ben/PEH. I think PEH just needs a rocket up his arse. We know he can win the ball back much better than winks. That should be winks last game. However is a stubborn fucker and keeps playing the duff ones yet had no time for Gil dele ndombele and gio. Not saying they were pulling up any trees but at least there was some expectancy with them if they started or came off the bench. I’m really suprised conte couldn’t work on them and may be build our style around then however he plays 7/8 defensive players. I am really surprised how much of a free pass he gets playing this style. Others would have been lynched. I’d like him to coach some proper football not just relying on WBs , give the youngsters a go like i the teams do and basically just go for it games. I don’t understand why start so slow almost like arnt bothered. Only when we go down do we try to play with urgency even that is normally short lived. Just fuckiing go out and give it a go at least we’d all be happier. The best performances have Leeds 2nd half (after going behind) , pool at home and Leicester away. In those games we had some intent on our play.

Lucas also played a really important pass for the first

seems to me he was punished for not protecting Emerson, who in reality you need Iron Man and the Hulk to baby sit for him
Well kus offered bugger all! If Lucas was to come off it had to be for berg we needed to keep the pace up. However with kus we lost all momentum. He looks but I’m really not sure why we got we didn’t need him. We already Gil but someone decide to send him back and buy a player who is too slow for wide forward role in the PL. he may come good but just don’t get why we got him. Even gio ir Gil would do better in that role. Really goes to show the cluster fuck of not getting Diaz. His not big but looked class.

I hate to say this, in fact I really hate to say this but this team needs a Roy Keane as captain to drive the players on the pitch. Needs a really strong hand out there on the field of play, in the middle.
We need some one as firing the first half when soton missed chance after chance not one player was yelling to the rest to get a grip and pull their sockets up. Also no one decide to take the game by the scruff of the neck out a few challenges, try to win the ball, pass forward and move the team up at least 10 yards. We were so deep we couldn’t get out as all we could was just hit it long which went straight to them.

I went yesterday.

Essentially our defence and CMs could not cope with the press. They were much the better team and fully deserved the win.

Davies is just average and his mistake cost us. Sanchez just panics every time he is under any sort of pressure. Romero is fine on the ball but can't Defend crosses at all - it is a real worry and may cost us points with him in the team.
Winks and PEH can't cope with pressing either.
but Emerson, my word, he might be the thickest footballer I have ever seen. His positioning was almost always wrong, he can't cross, he can't defend, and he certainly can't keep the ball. It is a shame we have to stick with him. I prefer Doherty to be honest.
Lucas as well was not helping off the ball. So disappointing.

Kane was on another planet though and Betacur looked good again.
What’s happened to Lucas buzzing around and pressing? It seems to be non existent now. You could really on him being a nuisance. Does he only do that when he comes off the bench but kit when he starts?

Back
Top Bottom