Tottenham Hotspur vs Stoke City

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

First how could you feel sorry for that little cunt of a man. They should have had at least one red card and we should have had a penalty.

Second. Tactically wooden? a couple of weeks ago everyone was whingeing about him only playing one up top. Now he is wooden for playing two up top. The poor bloke can't win with some of our support.
Lennon ran and ran and ran some more, but it was all meaningless, he kept getting forced inside where he is as useful as a chocolate tea pot. Gylfi nearly won us the game, if it wasn't for that Begovic wonder save he would have scored.

I concur. Now we are playing 4-4-2. The old mans brigade of footballing conservatives must be absolutely chuffed the way we're performing.

This is probably a game where Gylfi do should have started, he has got the psysique for the box and the shooting.

Either way, apart from a sluggish start, we did what we could.

Why does eveyone blame the strikers, and not the service they are given?
Not only that - but the pair of them had to operate inside the adventurous 5-5-0 environment that Stoke operated, before they got really jiggy and moved to 5-4-1 when Crouch came on.
What we lack is a creative ball carrying midfielder, and against Stoke we played without effective flankers and a number 8 to challenge Huth at the lineouts.
Because Adebayor missed a sitter before half time with his head, lost every aerial duel he had, and defoe wasted possession again and again with his useless long shots and terrible first touch. They weren't given great service, but they are still to blame for their terrible play. Adebayor losing every aerial duel he had is inexcusable.

Boring game. Not surprised at all at the result but still frustrated. Can't believe the save!!!
Atmosphere shit (as per usual unfortunately). I've heard a few Spurs fans had it out with each other in West upper! West fucking upper! Where I was in Park Lane lower, some cunt booed at FT, so another man went to him 'no need to boo mate'. Calm as anything, casually. The guy loses his temper starts shouting 'I'll do what I fucking want' etc. I go shout to him (like the hero I am :avblol:) 'calm the fuck down mate! You're both fucking Spurs for fuck sake'.
When the whistle went (to start the game) this couple next to me sat down. Straight away. :defoe:. They looked at me so I looked at them and shook my head and they reluctantly stood up.
Also sang 'sing up, it's a library, sing up' and 'we only sing when we're winning' it's that bad.

It picked up quite a bit in the second half; but I think eventually people realised nothing was gonna make the game any better and the ref any shitter. :avblol:
I really fucking hate Stoke singing the slow 'when the reds go marching in'.. and they aren't red, they're stripes!

Should have signed Gudjohnsen on a permanent at the end of 2010. So tired of Levy not getting the checkbook out. Could have used him to break down stoke today.

not%2Bsure%2Bif%2Bserious%2B_a3c87850b858e3bdd7d16ee8dcf5c0ea.jpeg

Stoke and Swansea have both come to the Lane and stuck 10 men behind the ball with absolutely no intention of winning the game. The aim was to get a 0-0, it worked for Stoke and damn near worked for Swansea.

They stick their defensive line so far back that our problem becomes unpicking their defence. We need a spark of magic, a defensive error or a goal from a set-piece, and once we've taken the lead it becomes much easier to stretch and exploit them because they're forced to come forward and look for the equaliser. It was the set piece last week but there was nothing doing today. Last year we would've had Rafa who was the kind of player who could've found that defence splitting pass and gotten us a goal today.

This brings me on to Defoe. He doesn't work in these kind of games. Our weird problem is that he's been too good to drop. He usually works much better away from home where teams don't stick all men on their 18 yard line in front of their own fans, or in games where there's space behind the back 4 to exploit. A front two pairing of Ade and Siggy or Dempsey is probably much more likely to crack a defence like Swansea or Stoke's, then once the game has opened up a fresh Defoe can be brought on to devastating effect. Defoe, sadly, is unlikely to take well to this (he's thrown wobblers more than once when not selected for a few games in a row). Moreover, the fans who aren't sold on AVB would massively get on his back if he dropped the red hot Defoe for the luke warm Adebayor.

I think that if we want to be a top club we have to be prepared for this sort of mentality from smaller teams. They come to WHL thinking that a point would be a great result and aren't interested in attacking at all. It's all very well blaming them for being shitcunts but we need to learn to deal with this kind of football. Early goals make a huge difference.

Both sets of fans were shit, the football was boring, it rained and I'm fucking knackered.
Shit day of football.

Stoke. Jesus. They're the most anti-football team I've ever watched, every season I leave the game frustrated as fuck. Felt sorry for Begovic, his socks were clearly shit because every time there was a dead ball he had to pull them up and, credit to him, he made sure he was thorough in doing so.

Positives I've taken from today:
1. I don't have to watch Stoke every week like those poor bastards in the away end
2. After a game I'm not going home to Stoke like those poor bastards in the away end
3. We kept a clean sheet

Why does eveyone blame the strikers, and not the service they are given?
Not only that - but the pair of them had to operate inside the adventurous 5-5-0 environment that Stoke operated, before they got really jiggy and moved to 5-4-1 when Crouch came on.
What we lack is a creative ball carrying midfielder, and against Stoke we played without effective flankers and a number 8 to challenge Huth at the lineouts.

Bale was putting ball after ball into the box and Defoe nor Ade showed much skill or desire to get on the other end. Even the ball that bale served on a silver platter, Ade hoofs it over the net...

Cue the 2nd half and Bale simply saying "what's the point" as he rolls with 25 yard shots from outside the box which might have a chance vs pointless crosses....

Personally I prefer a striker who not only can score but create opportunities as well for him n others.

Defoe n Ade fail miserably at that ...

JTW. Striker plz

Bale was putting ball after ball into the box and Defoe nor Ade showed much skill or desire to get on the other end. Even the ball that bale served on a silver platter, Ade hoofs it over the net...

Cue the 2nd half and Bale simply saying "what's the point" as he rolls with 25 yard shots from outside the box which might have a chance vs pointless crosses....

Personally I prefer a striker who not only can score but create opportunities as well for him n others.

Defoe n Ade fail miserably at that ...

JTW. Striker plz
I think we watched a different game. We already established that we see things differently.

best moment of the game for me was Dembele's tackle and then he quickly released the ball for Bale to go on a lengthy run and then superb bending cross to Adebayor... beautiful movement, just lacking a goal at the end.

Adebayor does get all over the pitch, and often will be way back defending, trying to get the ball. His movement is good, but he seems to have lost his first touch. He just isn't the prolific striker we need. What we are lacking is someone who will get 18 PL goals a season.

Defoe isn't a player to come back and get the ball. For me he is best on the break, keeping up with the likes of Bale and Lennon, or running on to balls. Or just whacking the ball from outside the box when he sees the slightest gap between defenders. He isn't a johnny on the spot to score tap ins, hassle defenders etc

Imagine this team with Berbatov and Keane in that amazing season they had... we would run tings.

There was a reason Adebayor was the price he was and why other teams weren't interested, it wasn't just his salary. He is clearly a great player, but he isn't the 20 goals a season striker that most bigs clubs desire, he is more of a playmaker. Added to this he only seems to get really fired up and playing with passion for bigger games. He had a point to prove against Woolwich and until he got sent off him and Defoe looked good together.

dPOXz.png

I'm not slagging either player off, but just saying that what I think we need is a third option, someone strong and powerful who can really hassle players in the box. Think Sandro, but as with mad dribble skills and the ability to score goals tap ins, headers and the occasional worldy, just by being strong and in the right position.

Back
Top Bottom