Tottenham Hotspur Women

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyone know how many there ? Considering no other major football going on and £6.50 a ticket, probably people wanting to see stadium. I’d be surprised if 5k there which is bit disappointing. It’s interesting where domestic game will go now with Sky coverage and if it will really grow. Can see how it’s majorly beneficial for club could be a decent line of revenue.

Anyone know how many there ? Considering no other major football going on and £6.50 a ticket, probably people wanting to see stadium. I’d be surprised if 5k there which is bit disappointing. It’s interesting where domestic game will go now with Sky coverage and if it will really grow. Can see how it’s majorly beneficial for club could be a decent line of revenue.

4k crowd.

4k crowd.

I know it’s not PC to say. But you have to wonder if Women’s football is just a media invention. Ok England national team gets decent crowds. But for any sport to exist it needs a domestic base. Considering the amount of hype women’s football gets. Opening day in main stadium, £6.50 tickets then 4K is very poor. And I’d guess half of those came to see the stadium.

I know it’s not PC to say. But you have to wonder if Women’s football is just a media invention. Ok England national team gets decent crowds. But for any sport to exist it needs a domestic base. Considering the amount of hype women’s football gets. Opening day in main stadium, £6.50 tickets then 4K is very poor. And I’d guess half of those came to see the stadium.

It is a touchy subject for sure. I first started watching Spurs ladies in late 2012 so have seen the progression. Back then nearly all the girls were local and predominantly BAME so for all the lip service given to BLM, the ladies game has actually gone backwards. But people say the right things.

The big give away is the BBC. The way they casually dropped 'Tottenham Womens/Ladies' for instance, and just refer to them as Tottenham. Now you can see a headline like Tottenham Sign Striker etc.

PC Clickbait. But we are talking the British Bolshevik Corporation of course.

Even in America, where people go nuts for the national team and they do huge viewership numbers it’s been a struggle to get the NWSL off the ground and grow it’s popularity.

And with the exception of City, Chelsea, and Woolwich the quality of the NWSL is much better than the WSL.

Spurs don’t see to take it too seriously unfortunately, haven’t invested in the way a few of the other top clubs have which I think is a shame. It really wouldn’t cost much comparatively and would be an exciting opportunity to utilize the stadium and build our overall footballing brand.

I think we are taking it pretty seriously I mean didn’t we only turn pro last season so can’t expect to much. I’ve no idea what the new sky deal is worth, I do remember hearing a figure and it’s pitiful something like £500k per club per season. So ultimately the club ( men’s team ) is funding or it wouldn’t even exist. Like I said will be interesting if the Sky deal makes a big difference. Personally I don’t think there’s a great appetite for it, unless a new generation of kids take it on board.

The big give away is the BBC. The way they casually dropped 'Tottenham Womens/Ladies' for instance, and just refer to them as Tottenham. Now you can see a headline like Tottenham Sign Striker etc.

PC Clickbait. But we are talking the British Bolshevik Corporation of course.
In terms of stuff like the BBC website, I've always looked at it from the perspective that they're doing it to try and encourage more young girls to get in to football rather than trying to convince lifelong fans that the PC thing to do is to support both the mens and womens teams. :tanguythumb:

In terms of stuff like the BBC website, I've always looked at it from the perspective that they're doing it to try and encourage more young girls to get in to football rather than trying to convince lifelong fans that the PC thing to do is to support both the mens and womens teams. :tanguythumb:
I'd agree if it weren't for all the politically charge and emotive content. there's as much negative anti messaging as pro encouraging.

100% I've said it before I'm not interested anything simply branded "Spurs" F1 cars womens side, basketball team. Mrs Perryman nailed when she said her loyalty comes from a emotional connection that goes back to past sides. Its exactly why I couldn't just support another side. So the best bet to grow the womens game is to ignore the current support base and target young people who are fresh to the game. I've no problem with the BBC or ANY media arm trying to encourage young girls to play sport at all. I don't see some sinister Bolshi plot.

I don’t see it as anything sinister, really be great for everyone involved if it took off majorly. Wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a mixed FA competition in next 10 years. We saw start of that in olympics.

I don’t see it as anything sinister, really be great for everyone involved if it took off majorly. Wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a mixed FA competition in next 10 years. We saw start of that in olympics.
Can't see that ever happening, if we start mixed ability sports, why not let paralympic players in too. Football of any kind has zero play in Olympic competition as it is.

Just look at how the BBC and Sky describe everything in womens football as "stunning", "amazing" etc for goals or passes that are completely normal in the mens game and you'll see how they're clearly trying to overhype the womens game.

Back
Top Bottom