Tottenham (the area)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Was just wondering what it means to you all? Is it just that shithole where we happen to be based or do you see it as an integral part of the club's identity?

I know a lot of our fans don't come from London (or even the UK) let alone N17, but I see the area as a vital part of who we are. For me we are a North London club and that is more important than the type of football we play, for example. I don't think anyone is any less of a Spurs fan if they live far from Tottenham or London, but I've always felt that, despite the fact that the area has seen better days, it's our manor and it belongs just as much to us (the fans) as to local residents. Right now I am both as I have lived in Tottenham for the last 1.5 years. It's well known that there are lots of gooners here now sadly, but there are still a lot of yids who live here too, if not as much as places like Enfield. But even when I didn't live here I felt a love for the area, its pubs, streets, restaurants etc, because it's OURS. And I'd much rather have a run down area like Tottenham than play in an upper class area as in Chelski or the goons. It goes without saying I was passionately against the Stratford move and if the club had moved there my relationship with the club would have been sorely tested.

Interested to hear your opinions?

I'm of similar mind to you pg yid, I know I'll just get mocked on here because people like to talk about how shit it is but I have great fondness for the area. It's a shame that poverty has been such an issue there for a long time now. But I've always felt affinity for the area. Was from ponders end originally but actually grew up out by southend, so could easily feel no affinity for the area at all but like you said, it's ours, it's where all of our great history is. Whether it's poor or affluent makes no odds either. All London areas go through sociological change - look at Brixton now. You wouldn't recognise it from when I was a teenager. Whatever happens it will always be Tottenham, the home of Tottenham Hotspur. Plus there are worse areas in London, regardless of what people will say. They must not have been to Deptford, New Cross, and Peckham, for a start!

I am very pleased for you. Having 2 little girls schools becomes a major factor and taking
the recent riots as an example there are far better places to raise a family and give
them more opportunities .

I'm of similar mind to you pg yid, I know I'll just get mocked on here because people like to talk about how shit it is but I have great fondness for the area. It's a shame that poverty has been such an issue there for a long time now. But I've always felt affinity for the area. Was from ponders end originally but actually grew up out by southend, so could easily feel no affinity for the area at all but like you said, it's ours, it's where all of our great history is. Whether it's poor or affluent makes no odds either. All London areas go through sociological change - look at Brixton now. You wouldn't recognise it from when I was a teenager. Whatever happens it will always be Tottenham, the home of Tottenham Hotspur. Plus there are worse areas in London, regardless of what people will say. They must not have been to Deptford, New Cross, and Peckham, for a start!

Agree 100%. Similarly I was from Edmonton originally but then grew up in Palmers Green, and have lived in a few other places in London. Settled in Tottenham with my girlfriend partly because it was one of the few areas we could afford to get a mortgage, but also because of Spurs and my affinity to the area.

think you're bang on PG, I love the place. The whole "you'll get stabbed there" "it's a shithole" thing never really put me off, mainly as I've grown up in Lewisham and it's not exactly nice here. like you said i'd rather be surrounded by moody estates than nice posh houses, adds to the feel of it.

Would only venture in for the football.. Shame it's not the trendy hipster capital of Islington, but hey, football is a working class sport, supposedly followed by working class people....
Tottenham is a down trodden, working class area that has seen better days, but even the better days weren't much good!

I don't believe in things like ghosts, souls or feelings, and am of the opinion that every piece of property everywhere will benefit from an upgrade. Most of what I've sees in London, especially when it comes to housing, looks pretty horrid.

I'm also a firm believer in science, which tells us that stuff like removing graffiti and fixing broken windows in an area will reduce crime rates. People will behave better in better conditions.

I love Tottenham, as it is home to my favourite club. And because I love it I'd love to see it fixed.

Isn't there supposed to be a big plan to regenerate the whole area? Not just the new ground for us, but lots of other projects all over the area. Or is that all off?

Back
Top Bottom