Tottenham v Anderlecht at The Lane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would put Savages' opinion on football at about the same level he was as a player!

Headless chicken!

Fantastic win. Fantastic winner from Moose. Great to see the lad back in the team and brimming with confidence. Poch really is making this transformation look easy but he's had to work his bollocks off to get this team to where it is.

One comment that has been grinding at me since I heard it though.

Steve McManaman during half time analysis on BT Sport -

"Anderlecht have really pressed Spurs well in the first half and created a couple of good chances from it. To be honest it's something we tend to associate more with Liverpool"

Right. Ok.

Two things Steve.

One - No it isn't.

and Two - if you're looking for a good example of team pressing, THEY'RE PLAYING IN LILYWHITE RIGHT IN FUCKIN FRONT OF YOU.

"Pressing...something we tend to associate with Liverpool"

Klopp really has blinded these morons hasn't he.

:nawty:

To be fair mate Liverpool were playing the high pressing game long before us under Rodgers, not just recently under Klopp. When they had Suarez, sturridge and Sterling up top with Henderson behind it worked perfectly because they were all willing and quick. They walloped a lot of teams with the tactic, the game often over after only 20 minutes, including us.

Sometimes spurs press well, sometimes we don't press much at all, at least not enough for Poch I'm sure. The first 10 minutes last night we didn't press at all. I think Anderlect pressed us hard all game and almost reaped the benefits. Just my opinion but I think there are other teams out there that press better than us at the moment. And yes, the Klopp bandwagon is seriously annoying.

Although I agree with the premise...

Robbie Savage's opinion is invalid. Much like Merson's.

Merson's is biased bollocks, however I don't think Savage is quite as bad as him yet... Either way, it's all about a bunch of cunts cunting each other off for being cunts, so I don't care.

:freundgoal:

I hate to agree with John Terry, but what he said about Savage was spot on.
Yet Jose won fuck all as a footballer. The man he idolises wasn't a footballer of any repute. Savage is 1000x the player Jose Mourinho is really.
Luckily Mourinho had won something in the 2 team league before he come to Chavs otherwise nobody would have bothered to take Mourinho seriously
Plus Porto had their fair share of luck on the way to the CL final. If Man U had not tried to defend the 2-2 draw and Porto score in 90min & lesser teams taking out bigger guns like real madrid, chelsea, Woolwich, juventus.
They had their fare share of luck with the draw after that.

Last edited:
Didn't get a chance to post during the match but the "Moussa Dembele - He's one of your own!" chant was most amusing last night. Although it would have been even better if he'd ever actually played for Anderlecht.

Kane really looked out of sorts for the entirity of the 2nd half from where I was sitting. I'm sure he'll be bang up for the NLD but hope he's got the legs for it.

Sometimes spurs press well, sometimes we don't press much at all, at least not enough for Poch I'm sure. The first 10 minutes last night we didn't press at all. I think Anderlect pressed us hard all game and almost reaped the benefits. Just my opinion but I think there are other teams out there that press better than us at the moment. And yes, the Klopp bandwagon is seriously annoying.

The stats show we consistently run further and make more tackles than other teams, and that the intensity of our running is up with the highest as well. Last night we were just conserving energy for Woolwich, and rightly so.

Tottenham in the Premier League under Pochettino (and rank)
2014-15
Average per game 2015-16

21.4 (2) Tackles 24.2 (1)

114.1km (2) Distance covered 16.54km (2)

514.7 (3) Sprints 539.9 (2)

The stats show we consistently run further and make more tackles than other teams, and that the intensity of our running is up with the highest as well. Last night we were just conserving energy for Woolwich, and rightly so.

Tottenham in the Premier League under Pochettino (and rank)
2014-15
Average per game 2015-16

21.4 (2) Tackles 24.2 (1)

114.1km (2) Distance covered 16.54km (2)

514.7 (3) Sprints 539.9 (2)

running around a lot and making tackles doesn't always equate to intelligent pressing high up the pitch. all stats should be taken with a pinch of salt. i don't dispute our superior fitness however.

I believe The Belgian side was better than expected. strong up front and a disciplined back. Spurs were on the back foot for most of the game, but we're able to get the quality when needed.

Seems the tide turned the second Son got on the pitch.

Moose = unreal

In there last 30 odd league games they have been beaten 6 times. They also haven't lost in the league for 10 games, since August, 2nd in their league and full of confidence.
I thought we didn't play too badly first half, except for the nervy start. In fact isn't it a sign of a decent team that can grind out results when not at their best? - If that statement is worthy enough for Man U, Chavs, City and Liverpool then it's worthy for us.
If Davies had scored second half just before they equalised we may have gone on and won the game more comfortably.
As it was I can only remember Lloris having to make a couple of saves early first and second half. In fact both keepers were not really called into action much.
I thought we could have won the game at theirs but for missed chances. They scored against the run of play and grew in confidence.
They were probably the more fresher having last played on Sunday.
I'd say over the two legs it's probably about fair.
Anyway, they were much better than in 1984 when the played the offside trap ad nauseam.:dierno:

Yet Jose won fuck all as a footballer. The man he idolises wasn't a footballer of any repute. Savage is 1000x the player Jose Mourinho is really.
Luckily Mourinho had won something in the 2 team league before he come to Chavs otherwise nobody would have bothered to take Mourinho seriously
Plus Porto had their fair share of luck on the way to the CL final. If Man U had not tried to defend the 2-2 draw and Porto score in 90min & lesser teams taking out bigger guns like real madrid, chelsea, Woolwich, juventus.
They had their fare share of luck with the draw after that.
Funny how that seems to have passed an intellectual like Terry, by.
Or the fact that Mourinho is a very good manager when the odds are stacked in his favour, yet when he was with Real Madrid, his magic touch seemed to have deserted him.

I get the feeling that basically the guy is getting "found out" and his "charismatic leader" mantle is starting to fade.

Back
Top Bottom