Tottenham v Bournemouth. Boxing Day 3pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Finished the game on VOD. Second half thoughts:

Kane's goal was delightful and the assist from Christian was lovely. And Son's second was such a comedy of errors.

Dominant from the end to the start. I do agree with mouse mouse that we need to tighten up the backline. But I also agree with another poster that pointed out that we don't have an out and out shield in front of the backline to steady the flow. The closest we have is Sissoko this season and while he is doing a good job, he is obviously mainly a box to box guy. If we could get an out and out DM in to partner with Moose and Winks that would certainly steady the ship a bit

Oh completly. Defending should be started as high up the pitch as possible. Our deep midfield is our weakest area by far.
This is how City and Pool get their GD. Slaughter the minnows. We need to be ruthless.

I agree, our defending has been meh, but these teams have put up similar performances against all the title contenders.

Yeah I agree. It seemed like we hadn't smashed anyone to bits for ages. But I prefer a 5-0 to a 6-2.

Anyone who looks at a result like that without watching the game and the narrative will be that one team where absolutely dominant. But reality is that If the losing team had put anyway the chances they where allowed to have then the game would have finished with a tighter scoreline.

Just a reminder that we've got no squad depth.... It's amazing that we're even able to fill the subs bench with our injuries :pochlol:

Our front line is now ridiculous. It's no good marking any of them, you never know who's going to score!

And that's kind of where I am getting at - that we probably need to plan for life after Eriksen.

Most likely we already are at it.
Well ... if we get £80m for him, that's two new players in at £50m and £30m ...

Oh sorry.... Levy just had a word

If we get £90m for him, that's two new players in at £27m and £11m... ..

:levylol:

So whilst I am thoroughly loving us having our usual high flying Christmas period and I think it's great how prolific we are regardless of which forward players are starting (great for GD!). I do feel that we have a slight sense of flattrack bully about us.

Bournemouth, Everton and further back Leicester and Southampton games. If the opposition had been more clinical then these games would have been less one sided.

You can say that about most games I guess but tldr: we need to defend better. A stable back 4 would help.
You say that, but of those teams we ''flat track bullied'' Everton have just scored 5, Leicester have just beat Chelsea and City and Southampton have won every game since....

2007/2008 Season, that year we finished on 46 points, this season we've surpassed that at the half way point.

We've also got to 48 points having only playing 8 of the 19 games at home, having made no signings, no home ground and a manager seemingly on their way to another club. It defies all the odds.

EDIT - we're on 45 points - ignore this paragraph for a couple of games :dembelelol:

Yesterday was odd, Bournemouth had 2 very good chances early on but the moment we scored the deflection from Eriksen I thought we'd win. Some have said it before but this was the strangest 5-0 win I have seen, maybe I'm still not accustomed to seeing us comfortably win, but I think they made it easy for us, they allowed us a lot of time on the ball, we had huge swathes of possession and could run the game at 3rd gear, especially in the second half when we'd effectively sealed it.

When we have another 3 games in the space of 7 days, this was a gift, had they have come at us more aggressively or converted one of the early chances we'd have been in for a real battle. This time I think we conserved our energy and came out without any injuries, which is just what we need at the minute.

Also we managed to a clean sheet with Foyth & KWP at the back, KWP had a cracker though supplying the first 3 goals, perhaps maybe the pass to Eriksen was textbook or the cut back to Moura simple but the work he did to dispossess Charlie Daniels to supply Son was tenacious and if he can keep getting in dangerous positions and providing key passes then he will be going up the pecking order and soon.

We are on great form, we have Dele, Jan, Dembele, Wanyama and Dier are all out injured, which means we have players to come back. Not sure we're quite ready to top the league but if you were told we're 2nd and picked up this tally at the start of the season and in all the cup competitions you'd started in, I think most would would nod and say 'I'll take that'!

Wolves are next and no pushovers but we are at least going in with momentum and no more injuries so it's just a case of keeping us moving in the right direction.

Last edited:
Not feeling the sentiment that in the PL, since the goons, we’ve played 5 won 5, scored 17, conceded 3.....(3 clean sheets)

.....but if the oppo scored more we’d have struggled.

First World problem that one if you ask me

You say that, but of those teams we ''flat track bullied'' Everton have just scored 5, Leicester have just beat Chelsea and City and Southampton have won every game since....

They obviously pulled their socks up after getting rinsed by us.

But seriously. FTB probably not the right term. But just wanted to reflect that we are letting teams have plenty of chances against us probably down to the DM issue. Sides with more quality will score goals. Reminds me of the Redknapp days. Outscoring the opposition to win.

They obviously pulled their socks up after getting rinsed by us.

But seriously. FTB probably not the right term. But just wanted to reflect that we are letting teams have plenty of chances against us probably down to the DM issue. Sides with more quality will score goals. Reminds me of the Redknapp days. Outscoring the opposition to win.
But maybe it's part of the plan, if we give teams the impression we can be got at, it might make them more open in turn...although 11 goals in two games has fucked that now...

Total domination. We controlled every aspect of the game.
KWP with an exceptional game. Son seems to be in the form of his life right now.
It's amazing that City slipped up again but we took our chance, moved ahead of them, and kept pace with Pool. Great outcome in every way for us today.
I think we genuinely can do 90 points this season, and maybe even more...
Well done Spurs!

What a picture...
5169.jpg

But maybe it's part of the plan, if we give teams the impression we can be got at, it might make them more open in turn...although 11 goals in two games has fucked that now...

What the Emery tactic? Lure them In and have confidence you can win the game in the second half, using the bench if required?

Problem with that tactic is that you will eventually come unstuck. I would rather we were consistantly solid at the back as we have been in the past. Then I wouldn't shit myself every time the opposition had the ball in our half.

Oh completly. Defending should be started as high up the pitch as possible. Our deep midfield is our weakest area by far.

Yeah I agree. It seemed like we hadn't smashed anyone to bits for ages. But I prefer a 5-0 to a 6-2.

Anyone who looks at a result like that without watching the game and the narrative will be that one team where absolutely dominant. But reality is that If the losing team had put anyway the chances they where allowed to have then the game would have finished with a tighter scoreline.

Cool.... Considering we missed chances too, let's call it 10-2 (B) and 11-3 (E) then. :freund:

Back
Top Bottom