Tottenham V Chelsea 12:00 Sunday 29th November

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'd rather Poch stayed out of the playground shit. He's always been very good at giving the press the bare minimum they require / deserve with standard pre packed sound bites.

I know Mourinho has had his cage rattled this season and is clearly under pressure, but it's a bit like arguing with a troll on here. We are above that.
I agree with the sentiment BUT when it comes to Mourinho I say kick the bastard when he is down. Week after week, year after year he targets opposing clubs and managers, trolling the fuck out of everyone. Now when he is fighting for his future, no other manager has shown the bottle to have a pop back, turn the screw, go for the jugular. Poch has just done that and I like it. But he has done it from a position of strength (unlike AVB's negative spiral comments) we really are a better team than them, they really only set up not to get beat and this really is the mindset of a small team.

I agree with the sentiment BUT when it comes to Mourinho I say kick the bastard when he is down. Week after week, year after year he targets opposing clubs and managers, trolling the fuck out of everyone. Now when he is fighting for his future, no other manager has shown the bottle to have a pop back, turn the screw, go for the jugular. Poch has just done that and I like it. But he has done it from a position of strength (unlike AVB's negative spiral comments) we really are a better team than them, they really only set up not to get beat and this really is the mindset of a small team.

Yeah i agree, and you are right, Jose has always been a master at using the press to do his dirty work. But as much as i hate Mourinho, i hate the gutter press in this country more, Don't give them anything to sell their fucking rags with.

Maybe i should have more confidence is Poch , he is very astute. Are we really to believe his English is still this bad after 3 years of managing in England? He's no AVB certainly, i can't imagine him allowing himself to get drawn into a slanging match with a two-bit "Scum" hack.

Last edited:
26 disagrees, must be a record on here. Never knew there were that many posters here.

I want Spurs to win trophies not get the coveted fourth you naive wankers want.

We played well against Chelsea? Are you kidding me? They weren't great and nearly scored. Our efforts were less threatening and almost all of them were comfortable saves.

You want to win titles, you don't want to be happy or content drawing against shitshows like Chelsea. They made our attack ordinary, stifled us completely, like the Spurs of old, and if they can do it, other teams can do the exact same.

We have the most draws because we can't kill teams off. Did anyone watch Qarabag? I did.

Also, we should win three in a week, not be happy with draws and because we traveled and bullshit.

I see the Poch brigade, or rather the naively optimistic fool brigade, who thinks criticism is akin to death, what the fuck are you, religious zealots, are trying to defend the non-rotation. Bloody ironic considering I have defended Europa for months, whilst some of the wankers on here are purely bandwagon sheep and continuously want to drop out of Europa for fourth and be knocked out by CL teams at the first hurdle.

There's something called realism. Some of you need to wake up to the world and not live in a bubble. Too may people on here swayed by the wind. What are you too, non-voters? Apolitical? All that crap the world serves you taste good? Must be pretty sad to only live to be naive about the hopes of a football team.

I want Spurs to win and be great, whereas some of you purely want to feel good about yourselves. Mollycoddling reality gets you a stick up the ass.

Go ahead and pat yourselves on the back. In the end, the reality is all that matters, and for your naivety, nothing changes. No one great ever became so hearing placate plaudits by sheep.

It would be easy to call up Mourinho on the 19th century football rant he made about West Ham last season about a team turning up not to play football etc.. but it wouldn't matter. He doesn't care if he's a massive hypocrite, any playground jibes between manages helps distract the press from actual performances.

If they had managed to nick a goal from a set piece or a counter attack the press today would be proclaiming the genius is back and the team have turned a corner and they're back on for the title. It's all bollocks, a draw was probably about fair but we gave it a go and crucially didn't lose. A few around me in 32 were moaning about the non existent high pressing, but with Chelsea normally sitting so far back I don't think we could press that high with any joy.

Thought Dembele was brilliant again.

I thought the match was rather predictable and am OK with a draw nothing more nothing less. Chelski knew they couldn't afford to lose this match as no doubt in the back of their mind we are probably the club they are chasing to get into the top 4 at a minimum. They couldn't afford to go 13 points back of us. Add to that clearly they are fragile, Mourinho set them up to defend and not concede. We did come up with some half chances that we really needed one to go in to change the shape of the game it.

In the end we didn't get the goal but on the flipside I do like the fact we didn't get careless and concede on the break as we have done so many times in the past. I guess you can say we may have been a bit fortunate with the HAzard chance which Hugo did brilliantly, but that was their only shot on target so we were comfortable all the while pushing them deep into their box trying to score.

As others have mentioned I choose to think of this as more of a positive that not beating Chelski at home is a bit of a disappointment. More importantly, we have to push on now with some favorable fixtures ahead. Our unbeaten streak is impressive but with the games ahead we need to make sure we get wins and not draws. IT's all there for us this year (and im not just talking this top 4 bollocks) it is quite exciting but we have to keep our feet on the ground.

26 disagrees, must be a record on here. Never knew there were that many posters here.

I want Spurs to win trophies not get the coveted fourth you naive wankers want.

We played well against Chelsea? Are you kidding me? They weren't great and nearly scored. Our efforts were less threatening and almost all of them were comfortable saves.

You want to win titles, you don't want to be happy or content drawing against shitshows like Chelsea. They made our attack ordinary, stifled us completely, like the Spurs of old, and if they can do it, other teams can do the exact same.

We have the most draws because we can't kill teams off. Did anyone watch Qarabag? I did.

Also, we should win three in a week, not be happy with draws and because we traveled and bullshit.

I see the Poch brigade, or rather the naively optimistic fool brigade, who thinks criticism is akin to death, what the fuck are you, religious zealots, are trying to defend the non-rotation. Bloody ironic considering I have defended Europa for months, whilst some of the wankers on here are purely bandwagon sheep and continuously want to drop out of Europa for fourth and be knocked out by CL teams at the first hurdle.

There's something called realism. Some of you need to wake up to the world and not live in a bubble. Too may people on here swayed by the wind. What are you too, non-voters? Apolitical? All that crap the world serves you taste good? Must be pretty sad to only live to be naive about the hopes of a football team.

I want Spurs to win and be great, whereas some of you purely want to feel good about yourselves. Mollycoddling reality gets you a stick up the ass.

Go ahead and pat yourselves on the back. In the end, the reality is all that matters, and for your naivety, nothing changes. No one great ever became so hearing placate plaudits by sheep.
you trying to get 27 disagrees or something?

Can't understand the negative views here. Poch took a big risk with the team selection at Carrier Bag. We won and came up against a chav side that set out not to lose. Take out Willian, who we found difficult to cope with, and we really had nothing to fear.
Yes we looked leggy in the second half, but they could not beat us. We won't have such a long trip again, and extended our unbeaten run.
Teams know that we are extremely difficult to beat, and cannot be bullied. There is every reason to be confident going forward. Poch wants to win every game and players want to play every game.
There is something stirring at the Lane. Believe.
I love the win every game attitude. but can they keep it up without a bit more rotation?
everyone agrees we looked tired against Chelsea.
I do think a few more should have stayed at home on Thursday.

id say well over 60% of the forum wanted him to rest a lot more. but when he didn't, suddenly well over 60% of the forum think it was the correct decision but also think it had a negative effect against Chelsea.

poch has done amazing for us. but its ok to make small criticisms of him.
doesn't mean u want him sacked.

squad rotation around busy periods/cups is one of the few things he can improve on.
last season it was pretty average and the same again this season so far....

that & the huge question mark over whether players can keep up the work rate for a whole season.
then over & over again.
we couldn't last year.

my other one was the high defensive line. but he has made changes to it & it has been working superb.
don't forget he is still young & fairly inexperienced. so he is learning all the time.

those 2 criticisms are completely overshadowed by all the good things he has done.

does anyone know managers of a similar style with (the pressing game & heavy work rate) who have stayed at 1 team for a while without the players being run in to the ground.
bielsa (who he worked under) never seems to last long.

is it sustainable?
how will we make it work?
will these young players be knackered by the time they hit 26-28?
lower or higher turnover of players than your average club?
will we rely on a few youngsters coming through every year?

how will we make it sustainable. not moaning. just generally interested in how people seeing it working out in the long term?

but u are right. we should all be enjoying the current run we are on.
a draw to Chelsea isn't a bad result at all.
personally I think we should have rested more & then we would have had a better chance to beat Chelsea.
but we may have lost on Thursday & still drawn today.

but I do think these questions will come up again when we are in the Europa knockout games.
maybe its just one of those no right or wrong situations.

Good point. There's no reason why we can't go unbeaten at home this season. This isn't just my natural bias, it's based on who we've already played.

only big test left will be Woolwich & utd.
but id be confident of at least a draw in both.

I had thought this was going to be a far harder match than some quarters had. Chelsea were bound to be far more up for this match if for no other reason than last season. The moment I saw their team I was worried.

I wonder whether, having seen Vertonghen not only take care of Giroud but also rile him, Mourinho might have dropped Costa regardless. Possibly not but the argument they've had helped them in their selection.

It was, without doubt, our most uncomfortable performance in some time. Dier looked jadded at times, and gave up possession a little too lazily at times but he wasn't alone. Son, in the first half, was quite poor. Four times he gave the ball away within 25 yards of the goal.

Rose and Walker continue to give me nightmares. It is true that both have improved but they are also guaranteed to, at least once but often more, cause all kinds of problems for ourselves. Walker was massively fortunate not to give the ball away twice when playing the ball square, both times utterly unnecessarily. Rose gives away needless free kicks by not standing his ground.

The best defenders know when to put a foot in and when to hold, neither Walker nor Rose have quite grasped this yet.

Our centre half combination and keeper are the best in the league. I don't think that is arguable.

Kane, Eriksen and Dembele really do please me. They have that thing which can't be taught (easily) and that is an understanding of where the other will be at any given time.

I'm not disappointed by a point, it would have been brilliant to have won but whilst we remain unbeaten, and hugely difficult to overcome, we will continue to push for a top four spot, and possibly more.
dier would be one we should look to start resting more. he is crucial & seems to play nearly every min.
please at least rest him against Monaco.

Back
Top Bottom