Tottenham v Dinamo Zagreb. 11th Thursday. 1st leg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Cannot see us catching Man U or Chelsea . Leicester blowing up is best bet as we play them in last match so if we can get to three po8nts behind we always have the chance of top 4.

Catching Chelsea? We are 6 points behind them with 1 game in hand. Beat Woolwich and we are 3 points off . They still have to play City, Woolwich, Leicester, Villa, West Ham and Fulham/Brighton/WestBrom fighting for their survival.

For us, we have Woolwich, Everton and Leicester. Sheffield are crap, Newcastle (no Almiron/Maximan) and Wolves/Leeds who don't have much to play for shouldn't be hard work

That was a pretty comfortable match all things considered but my biggest takeaway is the ref had an absolute shocker.

He completely lost control of the match and let us get kicked all over the pitch for 90 minutes and only bothered to find his cards late in the match. Ndombele was their obvious target and he took a ton of abuse. Refs just need to be better.

Beyond that, it's absolutely mind numbing that we didn't get a penalty. That's 10/10 a foul anywhere on the pitch. The fact that it was not even reviewed by VAR makes it even more absurd.

...put the opponent on the back foot with pressing, passing, and movement, then just do enough defensively to frustrate the opponent's few chances...and you win - it's the Spurs way - who knew?
COYS

Catching Chelsea? We are 6 points behind them with 1 game in hand. Beat Woolwich and we are 3 points off . They still have to play City, Woolwich, Leicester, Villa, West Ham and Fulham/Brighton/WestBrom fighting for their survival.

For us, we have Woolwich, Everton and Leicester. Sheffield are crap, Newcastle (no Almiron/Maximan) and Wolves/Leeds who don't have much to play for shouldn't be hard work
We still have to play Utd too.

sissoko has been very good tonight.

Was he though?!?

Cause to me it felt borderline comical to see him play next to Ndombele.
It's like Ndombele was dad who took his kid on the lap behind the steering wheel for the first time :D .

That was the literal difference between ability and output.

I wish I could just see every Sissoko involvement in the game in one video. I was so often that he
a) played rather simple pass to the teammate really uncomfortably (can remember times where Kane had to shield off Zagreb CB to controll the poor pass, same for some passes to Lamela) or behind them.
b) took the ball, looked around, realized that all options are further than 10m from him, so passed it straight to Ndombele to progress the ball
c) just passed the ball to CB / fullback behind him

And don't get me wrong. I think playing him yesterday was a right call. We absolutely need to give Hjojberg some rest and I think pairs Winks-Hjojberg + Sissoko-Ndobmele are best balanced for occasions we can't play the two together.
But here's the thing - whenever we have to rest one or the other, the difference in class is so stark. We need more than 2 players close to their (Ndombele+Hjojberg) level, if we want to do well across long season in multiple fronts.

Dinamo fan from Australia here.
This is the best Dinamo Zagreb team since 1997 where we lost 2-1 on aggregate to Atletico Madrid. We drew 0-0 at Man Utd and lost 1-2 in the return leg in the Champions League in 1999.
This is a superior team to both of those sides. We are the hardest Euro opponent you have faced in 2020/21 and it's not even close.
Posted before the game in another thread but I thought I would post it here.
Obviously a biased view but maybe we are better than we think?

I don’t care how good they are, from now on they’ll be nothing more to me than a bunch of donkey vicious cunts who deserve a thorough beating in every game they play from now til the end of time.
:angryscouser:

Anyhow, congrats, you lot were too good tonight.

Had we snagged an away goal we might have had a sniff in Zagreb. Spurs will score 1 and there is no way we score 4 so its effectively tie over, sadly.

Posted before the game in another thread but I thought I would post it here.
Obviously a biased view but maybe we are better than we think?

This Spurs side has it all really....speed, technique, squad depth and a master manager. It does not make sense to me that you are 9th in the league. Dinamo played Man City in the CL at Etihad just over a year ago and were only down 1-0 in stoppage time before conceding a second. The difference between that MC and this Spurs is negligible IMO.

I cannot see anyone beating you in the Europa league on the proviso you take it seriously and avoid injuries or suspension to key players. You certainly did that last night.

Back
Top Bottom