Tottenham v Newcastle (Sunday 25 August 16.30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Having looked at that again I didn't think it was a pen either, Kane could have just stayed on his feet and got a shot off. Kane actively falls into him looking for it.

I can see where you're coming from. Kane is certainly looking for it - but it's a penalty.

When Lascelles hits the floor, his arm takes Kanes feet.

Promisingly, Lo Celso made that chance.

need to give defenses different looks up front throughout the game to keep them off balance. I'd love to see different formations and have someone other than Kane play up top for parts and pieces of the game. problem is that kane can't play anywhere else

Lo Celso's half hour was pretty disappointing, I was hoping him and Eriksen were going to be the keys to unlocking their defence. He looked like he didn't understand what he was supposed to be doing or where he was supposed to be.

Just have to hope it comes in time with work in training

I’ve been in the “see you Chris, if you want to leave then mind the door on the back of your head” camp up until today. But from the middle of the Paxton lower today it was painfully obvious we need him. We created absolutely fuck all until he came on. Is he really the only midfielder we’ve got who can see a pass?

Even Robbie Keane saying he thinks there are issues behind the scenes.

Obvious as fuck at this point tbh, the problem is, Eriksen might leave but we will be fucked without him imo.
Whoever wants to leave before next weekend should just LEAVE... a pissed off Eriksen/Vertonghen isn't worth relying on... they're toxic... they won't give their all...
If the ovation Eriksen received when he came on isn't good enough to convince him he's loved here... then he'd better leave for the white handkerchief waving Spaniards of Madrid.... 'cos that's what's gonna greet him if Real don't win the Quadruple within 15 seconds of him signing!
Sorry - he is magic you know, best manager in my lifetime. If it wasn’t for VAR we would have win today. The players are struggling to adapt to the new stadium - they need time.
...and if it wasn't for VAR we'd have lost LAST week... it's already evened itself out!

Wow, where do I begin. What a disappointed considering last weeks results and playing Arse next; really could have done with a win.

Need to sort out the Eriksen situation ASAP. I would prefer him to stay as he makes this team tick.

Winks and Sissoko is our worst midfield partnering. Way too negative in their ball distribution and provide next to no creativity. We need one of them though and my preference is Winks.

I don’t think the Kane/Moura striking duo is working.

Sanchez needs to step it up. He’s been at the club for a while now and he has a lot of potential but he keeps getting caught out on crosses.

It’s got the stage where essentially all teams outside of the top six come to us, park the bus and hope for a goal on the counter.....it’s working. We need to change tactics.

These slow starts are killing us. It’s only when we go a goal down that we wake up. We got to start taking more risks and up the creativity against the likes of Newcastle. Our gameplay was extremely boring and straight forward. Stop spending 4/5 seconds on the ball and get that ball to someone in 2 seconds. Always looking for a through pass and it’s not there.

Provided Eriksen is here next weekend, himself, Vertoghen and Ndombele need to start and I would personally like to see a 4-3-3 with Son/Kane/Moura up front and Eriksen/Winks/Ndombele in midfield.

Lots of stuff to work on but it’s only August and I’m still hopeful. Would prefer to iron out these kinks now and have a strong second half to the season. Having watched Man City and Liverpool over the last 2/3 weeks, I don’t see anyone touching them. We should be aiming for third, unless what I’ve seen in the last three weeks dramatically changes, quarters of the champions league and a domestic cup win.

Got to agree with you on that one.

I dont want to keep hearing how raw Sanchez is and that he's a talent etc. The lad cost £40 million and looks an absolutely clown at times - he's often out of position and shoved around like a rag doll.

I will hold my hands up now and say I'll be really surprised if he becomes a top talent. I hope he does but I just dont see it, he's just seems to lack the judement and capability to make the right decision
Yes. Got serious doubts about him too. Have given him lots of leeway as young and new, but I wanna see improvement and not much so far. Too vital a position for us to be nursing some guy along.

Kane Son

Eriksen Lamela Celso

Sissoko Winks

Vertonghen Sanchez Alderweireld

Lloris

People laughed at that before, I got two disagrees in fact lol! Pochettino played two players to the get round the back of a 5-4-1 Hahahaha! Fuck me lol! Playing those players today would have got three points.

Lo Celso's half hour was pretty disappointing, I was hoping him and Eriksen were going to be the keys to unlocking their defence. He looked like he didn't understand what he was supposed to be doing or where he was supposed to be.

Just have to hope it comes in time with work in training

Think him coming on for KWP hindered whatever the plan was.

Should have just stopped him from coming on if that was going to be the case but I think Pochettino got desparate.

I’ve been in the “see you Chris, if you want to leave then mind the door on the back of your head” camp up until today. But from the middle of the Paxton lower today it was painfully obvious we need him. We created absolutely fuck all until he came on. Is he really the only midfielder we’ve got who can see a pass?
He is so key & vital. Our main source of creativity. Some want to believe players like lamela can do just as well but they can't. We are way worse without him. We are buggered if he goes.

Last edited:
It feels like that, definitely, that's why I said, today felt like the beginning of the end.
Don’t know if it’s the beginning of the end just yet, but too many contracts floating about in limbo, our player of the season sitting on the bench as a result, another who started about 7 million games last season is in and out of the team like a yo-yo, new players have still to fully intrigued, the whole thing just looks horrible right now, a bad result next week, and let’s be honest Woolwich are favorite, added to the close of all transfer windows then things just might come to a head one way or the other.

I think Pochettino is playing poker here with Levy, interesting who folds first.

Back
Top Bottom