Tottenham v Newcastle (Sunday 25 August 16.30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The cl final make me question pochettino with regards to team selection re playing kane. Today the tactics were appalling. What do they work on in training during the week or are they just allowed to play fifa and wank each other off while they post on social media.

Seriously, I've got tickets to Woolwich next week. If we play like today we will get abused.

If we lose to one of the worst teams in the PL, does that mean we're one of the worst teams? Philosophical question.
Not bad Aristotle. But I think I can top that. If we are reliant on VAR to win, is VAR our most important player?

Levy will never leave, not unless the club is sold by Joe.
Can't he be levered out in some way? A vote of no confidence by the supporters? There must be some mechanism by which our displeasure is made clear. Demos at the ground. I remember it happening at Spam either last season or the one before.

Wow, where do I begin. What a disappointed considering last weeks results and playing Arse next; really could have done with a win.

Need to sort out the Eriksen situation ASAP. I would prefer him to stay as he makes this team tick.

Winks and Sissoko is our worst midfield partnering. Way too negative in their ball distribution and provide next to no creativity. We need one of them though and my preference is Winks.

I don’t think the Kane/Moura striking duo is working.

Sanchez needs to step it up. He’s been at the club for a while now and he has a lot of potential but he keeps getting caught out on crosses.

It’s got the stage where essentially all teams outside of the top six come to us, park the bus and hope for a goal on the counter.....it’s working. We need to change tactics.

These slow starts are killing us. It’s only when we go a goal down that we wake up. We got to start taking more risks and up the creativity against the likes of Newcastle. Our gameplay was extremely boring and straight forward. Stop spending 4/5 seconds on the ball and get that ball to someone in 2 seconds. Always looking for a through pass and it’s not there.

Provided Eriksen is here next weekend, himself, Vertoghen and Ndombele need to start and I would personally like to see a 4-3-3 with Son/Kane/Moura up front and Eriksen/Winks/Ndombele in midfield.

Lots of stuff to work on but it’s only August and I’m still hopeful. Would prefer to iron out these kinks now and have a strong second half to the season. Having watched Man City and Liverpool over the last 2/3 weeks, I don’t see anyone touching them. We should be aiming for third, unless what I’ve seen in the last three weeks dramatically changes, quarters of the champions league and a domestic cup win.

After today's performance all I will say is that I hope you are right and I sincerely respect your unfailing optimism my friend. :thumbup: Please forgive me however if I cannot share your views.

Got to agree with you on that one.

I dont want to keep hearing how raw Sanchez is and that he's a talent etc. The lad cost £40 million and looks an absolutely clown at times - he's often out of position and shoved around like a rag doll.

I will hold my hands up now and say I'll be really surprised if he becomes a top talent. I hope he does but I just dont see it, he's just seems to lack the judement and capability to make the right decision
You might have a point. However, I said exactly the same things about Sissoko. I was adamant, upset and disappointed. I could not see him taking it up a level. 6 months later, I had to publicly apologise. He's not top 1%, but he's definitely raised his game. Sanchez will reach his peak in the next few years, let's just hope it's a steep summit!

:dierpochhug:

I can see where you're coming from. Kane is certainly looking for it - but it's a penalty.

When Lascelles hits the floor, his arm takes Kanes feet.

Promisingly, Lo Celso made that chance.

That Lo Celso pass was the best pass of the game (Eriksen's to Sissoko wasn't bad either), and I've changed my mind several times, you are right about the arm, but the trouble is, I think Kane is already leaning in looking for the pen, and bottom line, when we are looking at it and struggling to call it, there's no way (PL)VAR is going to correct it, and to be honest, I'm, not totally sure it should, still. If it had, I think it's one of those that either call wouldn't be an injustice.

Bottom line, I think Kane should have made better of that chance, I really don't think he had to go over.

Problem was conceding the first goal. Yes we should do better with 80% possession, but once they got ahead they were always going to fight tooth and nail until the end.
Problem for me was our all too familar slow, ponderous shit start, which was compounded by the goal.

It infuriates how we come out the blocks at home against relegation fodder with such a casual, we'll score eventually attitude.

No, fucking swarm on em like Liverpool for 30 mins, fast, press, one-two touch, etc, get the goal or two and their gameplan is fucked. Do we ever do this? Do we fuck.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

This will be controversial I'm sure but I think we need to freshen it up, and that means saying goodbye to Potch.

Its not an easy decision, but I just don't see us progressing any further under him, in fact we are going backwards.
How many PL games did we lose last season? More than ten wasn't it? Can anybody honestly see us not repeating that this season?
He got out of jail against Villa on opening day when Eriksen came on and changed the game and he hasn't learned from that as he's picked a poor team and formation today, where we were crying out for Eriksen to unlock them.

I think the heartbreak of the CL final is weighing on the players minds, and players refusing to sign contracts, Which is why I just think we need some new ideas, and we can only achieve that with a new manager.

If we keep Potch we know what we are getting, we are probably good enough for a top 4 birth, unlikely to push on and actually win anything though.

Time to gamble on a change? I think so
Good first post, mate. Keep it up.

If only there was a Fekir in this game eh?
Yeah, he would have been the exact type of player to actually take a bit of responsibility in this instance. No argument there my friend. The problem with him is that he does it everytime and give-and-go-to-hells get old very quickly. But he would have been an asset today as he at least can reliably hit a ball.

Llorente would have helped to since we are so fucking cross happy. But Rondon would have won it for us.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

This will be controversial I'm sure but I think we need to freshen it up, and that means saying goodbye to Potch.

Its not an easy decision, but I just don't see us progressing any further under him, in fact we are going backwards.
How many PL games did we lose last season? More than ten wasn't it? Can anybody honestly see us not repeating that this season?
He got out of jail against Villa on opening day when Eriksen came on and changed the game and he hasn't learned from that as he's picked a poor team and formation today, where we were crying out for Eriksen to unlock them.

I think the heartbreak of the CL final is weighing on the players minds, and players refusing to sign contracts, Which is why I just think we need some new ideas, and we can only achieve that with a new manager.

If we keep Potch we know what we are getting, we are probably good enough for a top 4 birth, unlikely to push on and actually win anything though.

Time to gamble on a change? I think so

Great first post but who is this Potch guy ?? :thumbdown: :thumbdown: 😎

If Eriksen leaves, we are fucked in our current situation, make no mistake.

Even if he does stay we might be fucked in our current situation given our form since the end of last season.

Even worse if Vertonghen stays benched.
Is Lo Celso not Eriksen’s replacement and we’ve got him for what 5years?

I’ve been in the “see you Chris, if you want to leave then mind the door on the back of your head” camp up until today. But from the middle of the Paxton lower today it was painfully obvious we need him. We created absolutely fuck all until he came on. Is he really the only midfielder we’ve got who can see a pass?
Delli is another. Sorely missed today

Back
Top Bottom