Tottenham v Newcastle (Sunday 25 August 16.30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He could be but that's a pretty big gamble to take on an unknown quantity mate really should be rotated with Eriksen for a few seasons but looks like we won't have that luxery because of the contract situation and us not signing a replacement sooner.
Yeah agree but Eriksen grew with us he was a gamble as well! But yes I know Lo Celso ain’t gonna get as long a period to settle in as Eriksen got.

An educated Welshman. No wonder you moved to Ireland. The home of Swift, Wilde, Thomas, Behan and countless others. I almost went to Trinity, Dublin.

Ahhh Oscar Wilde, a true genius and my second favourite person of all time. My number one is perhaps a strange choice but having read everything there is available on him and watched all of his films first prize has to go to W.C Fields.

So, after today a fitting quote from Wilde :thumbdown: Yes, simply has to be this one :
38v2is.jpg

If we lose to one of the worst teams in the PL, does that mean we're one of the worst teams? Philosophical question.

The PL is the best league because the shit teams can beat the good ones. Which is why I knew we were fucked when people started saying we will spank them 5-0.

That's not how football works. You have to play with a plan, intensity and make good decisions.

Not rock up and expect to win.
I also think they look fucked fitness wise, made worse by a hot day today.

This is the reason I think Vertonghen is not getting picked because he probably told poch and he now is trying to prove a point.

Unimaginative, listless, no penetration, lacking in any sense of urgency - just poor - extremely poor. That was Spurs today. It's so frustrating to see them pass the ball sideways for 100 minutes.

I'm sorry, but that was rubbish. Nobody played well. Nobody.

And we've got bloody woolich next week.

Turn on other supporters to vent your anger at the teams poor loss. Classic.
It's amazing that they don't see it. And their displaced anger is significantly more pathetic and immature than the folks venting at the thing that is actually frustrating them.

The PL is the best league because the shit teams can beat the good ones. Which is why I knew we were fucked when people started saying we will spank them 5-0.

That's not how football works. You have to play with a plan, intensity and make good decisions.

Not rock up and expect to win.
I also think they look fucked fitness wise, made worse by a hot day today.

This is the reason I think Vertonghen is not getting picked because he probably told poch and he now is trying to prove a point.

Good teams fail to beat poor teams in every league.

It's bullshit stats like this that Poch is obsessed with.

Football has changed.

I've been to many coaching courses that harp on about possession. Even Sunday league games I hear people say things they've heard some pundit say.

It's not often now you get a game worth 50/50 possession and both teams going at it. Teams are happy to either do without the ball and play on the counter. But that's what you have to do in this age based on the resources you have.

We can't just sit back and hope teams like Brighton, Newcastle, Burnley etc. will attack us in numbers, so we can hit them on the counter.

We are regarded a top team, so they will take the one point they've got from the off

Got to agree with you on that one.

I dont want to keep hearing how raw Sanchez is and that he's a talent etc. The lad cost £40 million and looks an absolutely clown at times - he's often out of position and shoved around like a rag doll.

I will hold my hands up now and say I'll be really surprised if he becomes a top talent. I hope he does but I just dont see it, he's just seems to lack the judement and capability to make the right decision
hes never in the right position EVER. see him coming out to the right wing late in the game following an attacker when fucking sissoko and rose were both fucking there I was roaring at the screen-stupid fucking cunt.
Nowhere for the goal, never backs up his cb partner and gets into physical battles when he should be getting into fucking goalside position to defend!
Hes fucking rubbish

Ooops that'll be me then. I truly did think we would give them a right hammering today and never expected the team to come out in such a 'conceited' attitude. As you quite rightly say in these sort of situations you have to come out of the blocks at express pace, apply the pressure immediately and get that early goal. Make them then have to chase the game and exploit the openings that will surely come. I envisaged fifteen minutes in 1-0 up and quietly dissect them with another two classy finishes 3-0. Go in for a cuppa and a suck of an orange with job done. Take it relatively easy second half but still find time to hit the net another couple of times just for fun. Final score 5-0...

Still sitting down (by the bar now though 🍺) completely baffled and bemused by what actually transpired. I promise to never mention a 5-0 thrashing again my friend :thumbup:

I'm only wearing the lucky stuff that actually works today.

So, if you see someone trying to get in wearing just a filthy pair of Y-fronts (no socks), don't be a stranger, say hello.
Well, the lucky filthy Y-fronts didn't work. In fact they seemed to have the opposite effect. So I'm going starkers to the Southampton game, just in case.

What an absolute shit show that was. It reminded me so much of the dark days when this was a regular occurrence under AVB.
I lost count of the times we were against a shit team but lost 1-0 when they put 9 or 10 behind the ball and that's what happened today.
We had enough about us to prevent that against Villa but we were clueless today. Side to side back, side to side back again, what the fuck was that all about?
Many people rave about Winks but I just don't get it and never have. He wasn't the only poor player today, no one comes out of that game with any credit.
Something doesn't seem right at the minute, in recent years our team spirit has pulled us through games like this but that team spirit seems to have gone.
No Eriksen or Jan is just stupid in my opinion. If there's a rift between Poch and a player he needs to deal with it and move on, not let it run and run while it's costing us points.

There's not a better game to put this behind us than next weekends against the South London Shit Stains but the lack of belief worries me.
They will see our lack of fight and play on it. We must come back strong from this otherwise it could take a while to get out of the slump (which we would be in if we bend over for Woolwich)

Didn't enjoy that one bit today so put this fucker right next week..

Ooops that'll be me then. I truly did think we would give them a right hammering today and never expected the team to come out in such a 'conceited' attitude. As you quite rightly say in these sort of situations you have to come out of the blocks at express pace, apply the pressure immediately and get that early goal. Make them then have to chase the game and exploit the openings that will surely come. I envisaged fifteen minutes in 1-0 up and quietly dissect them with another two classy finishes 3-0. Go in for a cuppa and a suck of an orange with job done. Take it relatively easy second half but still find time to hit the net another couple of times just for fun. Final score 5-0...

Still sitting down (by the bar now though 🍺) completely baffled and bemused by what actually transpired. I promise to never mention a 5-0 thrashing again my friend :thumbup:
fear not, we had a good start last season, we were raved about and seen by many as title contenders, we faded towards the latter end of the season so hopefully we have a bad start this season but it all comes good in the end. I don't want to believe anything else. That CL Final has had a worse effect than anyone realises. Onwards and upwards

Back
Top Bottom