Tottenham v Newcastle (Sunday 25 August 16.30)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Problem was conceding the first goal. Yes we should do better with 80% possession, but once they got ahead they were always going to fight tooth and nail until the end.

Possession for possession sake frightens no one, Newcastle could get their fucking pipes and slippers out while we're going from one side to the other with the occasional pass backwards.

This is not a one off , did no one watch the final 12 PL games of last season ?

What an absolute shit show that was. It reminded me so much of the dark days when this was a regular occurrence under AVB.
I lost count of the times we were against a shit team but lost 1-0 when they put 9 or 10 behind the ball and that's what happened today.
We had enough about us to prevent that against Villa but we were clueless today. Side to side back, side to side back again, what the fuck was that all about?
Many people rave about Winks but I just don't get it and never have. He wasn't the only poor player today, no one comes out of that game with any credit.
Something doesn't seem right at the minute, in recent years our team spirit has pulled us through games like this but that team spirit seems to have gone.
No Eriksen or Jan is just stupid in my opinion. If there's a rift between Poch and a player he needs to deal with it and move on, not let it run and run while it's costing us points.

There's not a better game to put this behind us than next weekends against the South London Shit Stains but the lack of belief worries me.
They will see our lack of fight and play on it. We must come back strong from this otherwise it could take a while to get out of the slump (which we would be in if we bend over for Woolwich)

Didn't enjoy that one bit today so put this fucker right next week..
AVB is getting A LOT of references this evening.... we're we'd REALLY THAT bad

Lazy, slow, no off ball movement, no penetration. A bunch of midfielders that pass sideways to wingbacks that can’t move or cross. Never gonna succeed unless we get pacy fullbacks with the approach we play. Gonna be a long season .

I agree with the first part, disagree with the 2nd. It was very pedestrian unless a player actually had the ball at his feet. Not enough movement unless a player genuinely thought he was going to receive the ball. Today we lost the mental battle which ultimately led to the team that deserved 3 points rightly getting them.

For the life of me I don't want to see Son, Lucas & Lamela starting again. Too many eager players, not enough artfulness and Newcastle absorbed it well even if the lucky ball that occasionally drops for you evaded us today.

Luck wasn't on our side but then again we really shouldn't be relying on luck in a game like Newcastle at home.

I'd also like to know why Poch didn't throw Vertonghen on and tell Sanchez to get up top to try and win headers or knock it down. Was Davies for Rose a wise choice for the teams need or was this Mauricio insisting on showing Jan and the team who is boss? This result is hard to take but the heavy way in which we conducted ourselves was even more painful, we are better than that and have the players who are better than that. All it took to defeat us today was a brick wall and that simp,y isn't acceptable for a team like ours.

genuinely worried and depressed watching us and its not just today-we have been crap for a year now to be completely honest.
WC, injuries etc we can only blame these things for so long-that was horrific today and the first two games we were extremely fortunate to get 4 points. FOUR AMS on the pitch all game and 5 at the end and we created sweet fuck all against relegation favourites with a plodder salary stealing manager just hammered by Norwich.
No one was moving or getting into spaces in front of the defenders, all standing in a line being marked all game ffs-wtf is going on?

The sooner people forget about gaps to liverpool and city the better, we are going to be 25 points behind both again without a doubt. I really fear some shit is going down behind the scenes as a lot of you guys are thinking too.
Its going to be a long season yet again and even longer still if Eriksen goes.
Not good

I am not criticising other 'fans' but the usual piss their pants merchants that come out in force after a Spurs defeat that a very large number went missing the minute Moura got his third against ajax.
Perhaps because they were happy because the team they support was in a successful moment and there was little to be unhappy about at that moment. Pretty common sensical, no?

Do you have anything to add about the game? It seems you are 'bringing up old shit' to rationalize your anger/frustration with today's game. When the whistle blew were you mad at 'supporters' or the result? Perhaps you should focus you angst toward whichever is the answer.

Just like to post up two stats about today's game which, when you consider them in context explains the members on here complaining about sideways passing and lack of penetration. They are from the BBC Sport match report,

1) Spurs did not do anywhere near enough to pick holes in Newcastle's blanket defence until time was running out. They failed to register a single shot on goal until the 33rd minute, when Son was denied by Dubravka.

2). Tottenham had 79.8% possession, the second-highest figure for a losing side in the Premier League since those records began in 2003-04 - behind only Liverpool's 80.4% against Burnley in August 2016

Just like to post up two stats about today's game which, when you consider them in context explains the members on here complaining about sideways passing and lack of penetration. They are from the BBC Sport match report,

1) Spurs did not do anywhere near enough to pick holes in Newcastle's blanket defence until time was running out. They failed to register a single shot on goal until the 33rd minute, when Son was denied by Dubravka.

2). Tottenham had 79.8% possession, the second-highest figure for a losing side in the Premier League since those records began in 2003-04 - behind only Liverpool's 80.4% against Burnley in August 2016

That's what pissed me off most, Norwich eased 3 passed them and we didn't come close. Shocking dispaly today.

As teams performances at week 3 we can’t win the league we can’t get second

Disappointed
Left home 1 pm at chick king by 3, lovely meal then 3 Heinekens in the stadium happy as Larry. 2 hrs of BS destroyed everything , still not home but should be in 40mins
Winks and Sissoko in the mid does not work against 5-4-1, all they do back and side way Avb days
Can’t believe Ndombele injured so soon and in training ffs
Why isn’t Vert playing if he’s fit. He was first choice , what has changed?!

Last edited:
Long time lurker, first time poster.

This will be controversial I'm sure but I think we need to freshen it up, and that means saying goodbye to Potch.

Its not an easy decision, but I just don't see us progressing any further under him, in fact we are going backwards.
How many PL games did we lose last season? More than ten wasn't it? Can anybody honestly see us not repeating that this season?
He got out of jail against Villa on opening day when Eriksen came on and changed the game and he hasn't learned from that as he's picked a poor team and formation today, where we were crying out for Eriksen to unlock them.

I think the heartbreak of the CL final is weighing on the players minds, and players refusing to sign contracts, Which is why I just think we need some new ideas, and we can only achieve that with a new manager.

If we keep Potch we know what we are getting, we are probably good enough for a top 4 birth, unlikely to push on and actually win anything though.

Time to gamble on a change? I think so
Gotta say it's hard to take you seriously as anything but a WUM when your first post is saying get rid of "Potch" (sic). Before taking controversial positions it is usually a decent plan to establish your bona fides as an actual supporter lest folks view you with a jaundiced eye.

Why there is no urgency in our play?

Can’t see the point subbing Rose with Davies!

The bottom line we don’t have a second striker llorente replacement. Parrott is too young and inexperienced

Yes we were.. We had much attacking talent on the pitch but looked totally clueless and didn't know how to break down a defence that shipped 3 against Norwich.

It was horrible, truly horrible.
It truly was. The sheer inability of all them to move the ball quickly, move off the ball, take a pot shot, the list goes on was staggering. We've been pretty average for a fair few games but that was a fucking low point. Deservedly beaten at home by that lot. :pochfacepalm:

Last edited:
The infuriating thing was that we’ve seen this before. Weak sides park the bus against us for 3 years now and frustrate us for long periods of time, but we still don’t have a solid plan to break in.

It was obvious Newcastle were going to play on the break but when they did our defence was all over the shop. If their passing was better they would have picked out players in acres of space wih just the keeper to beat it was so bad.
Do that against Woolwich and they will murder us.

Other teams CREATE their own space against the bus... Apparently we don't.

Yep, the teams that create space are the teams with players that make the quick run in the box and “attack”, or run to the pass, rather than maintaining the same path hoping the pass arrives before the defender. See the Mane and Moe show.

Back
Top Bottom