Fan Activism for charity thread. Tottenham Versus Brighton Nov 1st pay per view.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

will you pay the PPV charge

• yes

Votes: 19 17.3%
  • no (inc streamers)

Votes: 91 82.7%

• Total voters
I'll put this on here again.

If you register with smile.amazon.co.uk (or your local equivalent) and do any amazon shopping through that address, amazon donate 0.5% of your order values to the charity you choose on their list.

No idea if the Tottenham Foodbank is on there, but I chose CALM (same as my PPV donation).
Its worth doing either way, and if the foodbank aint on there, maybe someone can point them to it to register

Although I was intending to buy, I'm now going to stream. I actually streamed the UFC this evening and it was picture perfect. I recently upgraded my broadband to Virgin Media and it's running at 200mb.

If you've got really fast broadband, streaming is a no brainer IMO.

Although I was intending to buy, I'm now going to stream. I actually streamed the UFC this evening and it was picture perfect. I recently upgraded my broadband to Virgin Media and it's running at 200mb.

I think it's more to do with the host than the broadband speed you have. I suspect your UFC stream would have been perfect at 5 mb/s. I think you only need more than that if you want a decent frame rate at 720/1080/4k. And again that will depend on whats being served up to you.

Generally the highest bit rate you'll get on a dodgy stream is 4000Kbps which is 4Mbps. So with nothing else going on on your 200Mbps connection you ought to be able to stream somewhere in the region of 50 of those streams at the same time.

As a comparison, Netflix requires about 17Kbps for their 4K transmissions. So again, according to my maths, without overhead and anything else happening on your connection, you should be able to watch 11 4K Netflix streams simultaneously on a 200 Mbps service.

But yeah, you're right, streams are generally fine, if you can find a good one.

I think it's more to do with the host than the broadband speed you have. I suspect your UFC stream would have been perfect at 5 mb/s. I think you only need more than that if you want a decent frame rate at 720/1080/4k. And again that will depend on whats being served up to you.

Generally the highest bit rate you'll get on a dodgy stream is 4000Kbps which is 4Mbps. So with nothing else going on on your 200Mbps connection you ought to be able to stream somewhere in the region of 50 of those streams at the same time.

As a comparison, Netflix requires about 17Kbps for their 4K transmissions. So again, according to my maths, without overhead and anything else happening on your connection, you should be able to watch 11 4K Netflix streams simultaneously on a 200 Mbps service.

But yeah, you're right, streams are generally fine, if you can find a good one.

Yep, it was 4000 kbps but I've had broadband in the past with Sky which ran at around 7/8 mbps and it's never been as good. There always used to be some buffering but with Virgin's M200, it's flawless.

If it wasn't for my family members, I'd probably cancel Sky and BT, but my dad sometimes watches the sports and he's not very tech savvy.

Streaming for PPV events is going to be my approach.

Do not bloody buy this game even if you have the money, these basteds shouldn't get away with it

Even your standard Broadband with 40meg Down is perfect for streaming , I have even managed to stream when out and about using 4G!

Sky Sports and BT Sport 'want to scrap Premier League's controversial pay-per-view scheme charging fans £14.95-a-match after fans complain about the pricey service'

Yes I know only Paper speculation but maybe the protests are getting somewhere. Not seen any announcements re PPV for November.

Sky Sports and BT Sport 'want to scrap Premier League's controversial pay-per-view scheme charging fans £14.95-a-match after fans complain about the pricey service'

Yes I know only Paper speculation but maybe the protests are getting somewhere. Not seen any announcements re PPV for November.
The annoying is that unless they agree to do it cheaper there will be no legal way of watching and the clubs won’t make a penny.

You know when the tv companies don’t want to make any money out of it that it’s not a good idea!

You know when the tv companies don’t want to make any money out of it that it’s not a good idea!
They were never going to make any money out of these PPV matches. Everything over their costs would go to the clubs via the PL. All they saw was the bad publicity from the £15 fee that they weren’t even getting.

They were never going to make any money out of these PPV matches. Everything over their costs would go to the clubs via the PL. All they saw was the bad publicity from the £15 fee that they weren’t even getting.
The clubs are using COVID as a way to further agendas they have had for years.
If they were broke I could understand or were giving it to the lower league teams, except they aren’t - spending this transfer window was only down 10% on last year.

So apparently they're going to push on at 14.99 despite the boycotts.....

Fuck 'em.... Stream ahoy, me'hearties!

Back
Top Bottom