Fan Activism for charity thread. Tottenham Versus Brighton Nov 1st pay per view.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

will you pay the PPV charge

• yes

Votes: 19 17.3%
  • no (inc streamers)

Votes: 91 82.7%

• Total voters
I've donated 50 pounds to that Tottenham foodbank .

To be fair I don't have to pay for this game because we'll get it for free in Ireland. Much respect to anyone who wont pay.

It is only season ticket holders that are missing out on not seeing all their club's matches as the remaining fans which are the majority only have streams or MOD. Cannot understand why the pressure to put all matches on TV when they have not been on TV before July.
The decision to continue this is not with Sky/BT but the premiership clubs and if Levy can be persuaded to withdraw his furlough request then we should be putting pressure on him to join Leicester in rejecting this PPV.
Anyone know of an e-mail address we could all use to express our displease that he will see.

I’m struggling to form a position here. I am jacked off about missing games and rather than not seeing a game at all I would probably opt to pay - for example I paid for the European Games on Premier Sports.

My initial thought was that as a Season Ticket holder, who had paid a deposit this season, that perhaps the club might want to provide some form of % discount and if the game was less than £10 to view I might be ok with that in the circumstances.

I don’t do anything now except work (and jog) no pubs, restaurants, cinema or family days out....it’s fucking depressing. So £10 for 2 hours sport is not going to sting me too much and if it breaks up the day.....

I guess I could ignore the TV and revert to my Capital Gold Sport days and hit the radio, but I can’t tolerate radio when every add break involves Trusted PPE telling me to buy a face nappy for my Children....honestly commercial radio. It’s so bad I am missing Pat Sharp’s glory days, where they would constantly tell me about the big yellow building on Golders Green road.

On the other hand I am utterly tested by Sky TV and Comcast’s bullshit politics. I’m tired of being fucking preached at every time I turn the fucking Sky Q thing on.

It feels like the blue light illuminates to tell me what a rotten human being I am for something I have no control over. I’m an Irish citizen for a start, so have a fair idea about bias, not that it’s ever commented on. Anyway..... so giving them fuckers more money is something I don’t really want to be doing in the wider scheme of things

We have sky for family reasons but I look at the bill these days and think myself more foolish by the month for paying them anything. It was great when you could get an ITV Digital box from your mate for the football and the 15 minute free view at midnight, happier times.

Only the BBC offers less value to me now than Sky. I am old and can’t grasp why turning Doctor Who into Bubble from Ab Fab enhances the world in which I live ? ( apologies to young folks but if your a late 70’s birth like me you should recognise my reference )

So conclusion......

Most likely I would pay THFC directly £10-£15 to watch our games via their own club platforms, this would add some £ support to the club and is equal to the few pints I would have in the stadium. While we are locked out and locked down it’s just another piss take to contend with, but at least I will get something from it.

I would prefer some contribution towards the cost as a season ticket holder, but hey they gave me a discount on Cadbury’s World admissions (Tossers) so I don’t want to appear greedy....

Paying anything more to Sky is actually a no from me. They can fuck off sideways, Preachy cunts.

BT. Blah. I have that on my mobile. I don’t think I want to give them £15 either. Gary “no mask” Lineker might appear and ask me to contribute to Greta Thunderbirds Birthday card of sell me some crisps.

On a serious note, donating to charity, if you can afford it, is a very good thing, but I don’t think it’s necessarily ideal that it’s one thing or the other here.

If you care about a cause and can help, you should do so without having to make a stand against a corporations greed to justify it. That’s just how I see things. I know I am not “right” nor “wrong”

Peace to all - its a fucking shit show out there. Sorry for long post, hope it brings at least a smile, been a shit day.

Last edited:
I would never have paid the £15 to Sky anyway, but as a mini-protest (I have an issue with the pricing not PPV entirely) the foodbank have just received the equivalent. Thanks for making me aware of it folks!

Not complaining but never shelled out so much to different causes due to the times. I just hope my sister finally cracks, has a drink, and isn't sober this October - or else I'll be doubling that donation too!

Last edited:
Financial examples?

Person A has subscriptions to both Sky Sports and BT Sport paying £100* per month (£25 per week)

Spurs vs X is not scheduled to be shown on either tariff

Person A pays for a ticket/travel for the Spurs game vs X, paying £100*

Person A pays £125 this week to watch Spurs vs X

Person B has subscriptions to both Sky Sports and BT Sport paying £100* per month (£25 per week)

Person B buys a PPV ticket for the Spurs game vs X, paying £15

Person B pays £40 this week to watch Spurs vs X

Person C has subscriptions to both Sky Sports and BT Sport paying £100* per month (£25 per week)

Person C donates the PPV ticket price for the Spurs game vs X to charity, donating £15

Person C pays £40 this week and is unable to watch Spurs vs X

*price estimate. figures used for simplicity. actual price +/- sums quoted

Financial examples?

Person A has subscriptions to both Sky Sports and BT Sport paying £100* per month (£25 per week)

Person A pays for a ticket/travel for the Spurs game vs X, paying £100*

Person A pays £125 this week to watch Spurs vs X

Person B has subscriptions to both Sky Sports and BT Sport paying £100* per month (£25 per week)

Person B buys a PPV ticket for the Spurs game vs X, paying £15

Person B pays £40 this week to watch Spurs vs X

Person C has subscriptions to both Sky Sports and BT Sport paying £100* per month (£25 per week)

Person C donates the PPV ticket price for the Spurs game vs X to charity, donating £15

Person C pays £40 this week and is unable to watch Spurs vs X

*price estimate. figures used for simplicity. actual price +/- sums quoted
Person D is not just thinking about himself but the bigger picture.

Donates £15 to charity in protest.

Finds a stream to watch the game.

I feel for you folks over there....Anyone over there with a decent VPN and see if they can sign up a trial Optus Sport account to see if it will work for you over VPN. Then you can pay for like 7 pounds/month for PL, CL and EL.

Person D is not just thinking about himself but the bigger picture.

Donates £15 to charity in protest.

Finds a stream to watch the game.
Giving to charity is a wonderful thing in any circumstance, but stealing money from the club you support and justifying that through 'charity' is both illegal and totally thinking about yourself lol!

Giving to charity is a wonderful thing in any circumstance, but stealing money from the club you support and justifying that through 'charity' is both illegal and totally thinking about yourself lol!
If you can tell me how much of my £15 is directly going to the club then enlighten me. Like many have said already, the thought process may be different if it was Spurs we were paying.

Even then tho, the club have plenty from me. There comes a point when enough is enough. They should have voted against it like Leicester in my view.

Again, like others have said, I can afford it but it's about thinking of the people that can't, especially at this time.

It is only season ticket holders that are missing out on not seeing all their club's matches as the remaining fans which are the majority only have streams or MOD. Cannot understand why the pressure to put all matches on TV when they have not been on TV before July.
The decision to continue this is not with Sky/BT but the premiership clubs and if Levy can be persuaded to withdraw his furlough request then we should be putting pressure on him to join Leicester in rejecting this PPV.
Anyone know of an e-mail address we could all use to express our displease that he will see.
[email protected]

How is it thinking about yourself? If that was the case you would just pay the £15 for the game rather than give to charity, this is about collectively making a stand against the greed that is sky sports, and if you can’t see that then there is not much left to say.

Connected to this - our dictatorship have responded to the plebs. Another load of old toss of course But then if we “the people” are vessels of disease who can’t be allowed to mix then we must not be allowed to visit stadia either. A working group..... That will help. Jesus.

Petition: “Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels”

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels”.

Government’s response:

We will take the earliest opportunity to look again at getting spectators safely back into stadia but this must clearly be done carefully against the prevailing health conditions.
Football clubs form the bedrock of our communities and play a vital role in the local economy. Their importance has been clearly demonstrated throughout the pandemic with clubs at all levels providing incredible support to their area.
That is why the Government is committed to supporting sports clubs up and down the country, with many football clubs benefitting from the Government’s unprecedented financial support to businesses.
The Government is fully aware of the importance of getting spectators back into stadia for many sports, and the financial consequences of the decision not to allow this from 1 October. The evidence received from the Chief Medical Officer was very clear that at a time of rapidly rising infections, and when the Government was considering restrictions elsewhere, it was not the right time to undertake any further easements.
We will continue to work closely with a whole range of sports to understand the latest thinking that might allow spectators to return. This includes the creation of a new Sports Technology Innovation Working Group of sporting bodies and health experts to analyse new technologies which might support this. This will supplement the draft government guidance, and the SGSA supplementary guidance to their Green Guide, which has been internationally welcomed.
We are committed to getting spectators back into stadia as soon as it is safe to do so.
Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport
Click this link to view the response online:

Petition: Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels

This petition has over 100,000 signatures. The Petitions Committee will consider it for a debate. They can also gather further evidence and press the government for action.

The Committee is made up of 11 MPs, from political parties in government and in opposition. It is entirely independent of the Government. Find out more about the Committee: How petitions work

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

Connected to this - our dictatorship have responded to the plebs. Another load of old toss of course But then if we “the people” are vessels of disease who can’t be allowed to mix then we must not be allowed to visit stadia either. A working group..... That will help. Jesus.

Petition: “Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels”

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels”.

Government’s response:

Click this link to view the response online:

Petition: Allow football fans to attend matches at all levels

This petition has over 100,000 signatures. The Petitions Committee will consider it for a debate. They can also gather further evidence and press the government for action.

The Committee is made up of 11 MPs, from political parties in government and in opposition. It is entirely independent of the Government. Find out more about the Committee: How petitions work

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament
Says Parliament will debate the issue on 9th November. and you can watch the debate live on the Parliament YouTube channel..

You've got to imagine it'll be a lip service thing but fingers crossed.

I feel for you folks over there....Anyone over there with a decent VPN and see if they can sign up a trial Optus Sport account to see if it will work for you over VPN. Then you can pay for like 7 pounds/month for PL, CL and EL.
Has anyone tried this? I don't have a VPN subscription, but would be interested to know if this works.

I've donated the 15 quid plus the 10 voucher money to CALM which is my charity of choice through amazon smile. (In case anyone didn't know, if you do your amazon shopping through smile.amazon.co.uk , they make a donation to your chosen charity everytime you buy something)

Back
Top Bottom