Tottenham Vs Brighton, Sunday 1st Nov - 7:15pm (Live on PPV).

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We looked good for the first 15 minutes. Then they were all over us through the second half. We woke up sometime after they scored their goal. We hit the post twice and looked like scoring. Then Bale came on and the rest is history. Overall we had a lot stronger chances but our offense never really got out of second gear and there was a missing link between defense and attack, even with Ndombele in there. In the end it still could have been a comfortable win if we had put away chances and the ref hadn’t gifted them a goal.
It seems like this Son Kane Lamela from 3 doesn’t work most times.

It can be useful to see the quality of chances in a game.
Absolutely.
. Two teams might each have 10 shots and 4 on target,
I've always thought that there should be a 3rd category of shot -

On Target;
Off Target;
Hit the Woodwork

As it stands, the post/bar shots count as off target. Well so would a Zokora "effort" that goes straight out of the stadium. Or a Steffen Freund special

:freundgoal:

I only watched MoTD highlights and up till then I'd been relying on the, ahem, "opinions" on the Match Thread.

Going 1-0 up against a relegation possibilty should be meat and drink to us. Force them to come out of their shell and mercilessly hit them on the break with Son's pace, Harry's guile and finishing, Lamela shithousery whatever.

How come it didn't happen? By all means sit back if that's the tactic, but why didn't it lead to a 3-0 score by HT?

It seems like this Son Kane Lamela from 3 doesn’t work most times.
Hard to blame Lamela yesterday, it's as much what went on behind him. Dier must have whacked about 10 balls upfield that had no clear intention, surrendering possession for long periods. Sissoko is effective at parts of the game but didn't offer himself as a short passing option. Ndombele too far forward to receive the ball as often as you'd like him to. Thought Bergwijn contributed nicely to our first half performance against WH, some fluent interplay around the halfway line that Lamela doesn't really do. We've lots to work out yet, but good to see positive results in spite of that.

Lamela continues to prove that he has a worthy place in our squad. His effort is great, he likes to give a bit of needle, and also has enough skill to create an opening where there shouldn't have been one.
I will continue to defend The Hoover

I have heard some shit on here but that is right up there with the biggest load of bollox I have heard , unless it was sarcastic?
They outplayed us with a team where not one player would take a place in our starting eleven. If they had our quality up top, with players like Son, Kane, Ndombele they would have beaten us.

They outplayed us with a team where not one player would take a place in our starting eleven. If they had our quality up top, with players like Son, Kane, Ndombele they would have beaten us.

Changing players about will change the dynamic of their whole performances tho'...

Saying they missed a finisher would be one thing (except they created no chances)..... Swapping out 3 or four of their players for our best makes them a completely different team.

We saw the same movie when they played Utd & Chavski... Troubled them plenty until the final 3rd.

Last edited:
And yet they didn't even trouble Hugo and the only goal they scored should have been disallowed, we also hit the post twice, so this abysmal team that apparently got outplayed could have easily won 4-0 but at the worst it should have been 2-0 if the ref wasn't corrupt, if this is what getting outplayed feels like i hope every team outplays us from now on! :harrysmile:

Changing players about will change the dynamic of their whole performances tho'...

Saying they missed a finisher would be one thing (except they created no chances)..... Swapping out 3 or four of their players for our best makes them a completely different team.

We saw the same movie when they played Utd & Chavski... Troubled them plenty until the final 3rd.
but they play nice football, it doesn't matter that they dont score apparently! It's all about the nice free flowing football, i wonder if Jose also knew they play this nice football but struggle to create any opportunities so he just let them do there thing knowing Hugo wouldn't be troubled and chances are we'll score ? And people say he is past it:mourbringit:

And yet they didn't even trouble Hugo and the only goal they scored should have been disallowed, we also hit the post twice, so this abysmal team that apparently got outplayed could have easily won 4-0 but at the worst it should have been 2-0 if the ref wasn't corrupt, if this is what getting outplayed feels like i hope every team outplays us from now on! :harrysmile:
As I said, they don't have the players, still they outplayed us, they would have beaten is with higher quality attackers. All I'm saying is that with the same players, our players, Potters team would beat Mourinhos team. Ok, I may have said that we'd win the league with Potter (thats maybe a bit provocative). We can argue about this forever. It will however probably not lead anywhere. I believe, you don't. We will never know if Mourinho isn't fired tomorrow and replaced by Potter. Also. I'd prefer us playing Potters football over Morinhos football.

Sissoko is a paradox. So good adding teeth in the middle and busting up attacks. But he is so detrimental to the attack and games like these vs Brighton where a player with significantly more technical ability would be the better choice for me.

It was a foul on Hojbjerg which the Ref missed. The only defence is that the game had gone on too long from the foul. Neither VAR or the Ref are using that defence so it had to be disallowed.
It is decisions and incidents like this and the Doherty hand around the neck and Dier handball that although they went in our favour are very worrying. We only had 43% possession at home to Brighton and had that been higher maybe we would not have such worries. Looking back at the match thread, posters were worried. Yes we kept them to 6 shots only 2 on target but we need to keep them in their own half for longer periods.
Had there been fans in the stadium I expect the Brighton fans would have sung 'You are supposed to be at home' which ironically might have stirred our players up.
Pleased with 3 points but it is going to be a long old season with matches like that.

I appreciate the effort with Sissoko and I do appreciate that he helps cover a lot of ground as a midfielder. HOWEVER, it’s hard to get away with having a midfielder who wants nothing to do with the ball, especially with so many teams looking to press. He has a place in the squad certainly, but should not be in our best 11.

As I said, they don't have the players, still they outplayed us, they would have beaten is with higher quality attackers. All I'm saying is that with the same players, our players, Potters team would beat Mourinhos team. Ok, I may have said that we'd win the league with Potter (thats maybe a bit provocative). We can argue about this forever. It will however probably not lead anywhere. I believe, you don't. We will never know if Mourinho isn't fired tomorrow and replaced by Potter. Also. I'd prefer us playing Potters football over Morinhos football.
As others have said , I don’t class a team with 1 shot on target to have outplayed another team who could have easily scored 4, outplayed is like when we played United or Southampton or Newcastle even, Regardless of the players he has at his disposal surely he should be able to at least test the keepers after all they are a premiership team? I just think it’s strange how some people would prefer a young inexperienced manager over someone who has been proven to win at every club he has been at

I only watched MoTD highlights and up till then I'd been relying on the, ahem, "opinions" on the Match Thread.

Going 1-0 up against a relegation possibilty should be meat and drink to us. Force them to come out of their shell and mercilessly hit them on the break with Son's pace, Harry's guile and finishing, Lamela shithousery whatever.

How come it didn't happen? By all means sit back if that's the tactic, but why didn't it lead to a 3-0 score by HT?

Only two central midfielders and one of them can’t receive or pass the ball.

Back
Top Bottom