Tottenham vs Burnley: Revenge of the Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are you sure 5 people constitutes a statistical sample?

Sorry, I'm sleep deprived, sleepless, feverish, high on multiple antibiotics and fucking bored.
I recon I've spoken with 25 or 30 people in circumference arround me (never did that at the Lane) and apart from 5 people in my row all bar a couple (from Park Lane upper) are new STH's.

Finally found this that I saw after the game, not sure what end this is though, but clearly audible boos at the end

Well that looked like fun. I have to agree with Legacy Lilywhite Legacy Lilywhite though - that shit wasn't tolerated in the Park Lane going back. The newer fans are some of the worst offenders. I've had to speak to a few people in the queue for the Park Lane in recent years - we're no longer a collective - even if we ever were, but it felt like it when I was a kid.

Booing at this point in the season is all a bit...well, Woolwich.
We hardly hit the ground at a sprint last season ffs. Was it 5 points after 3 games? Get behind the team. I'll be there for the Swansea game & cant fucking wait. Just those pesky internationals & the little issue of the bin dippers kid brothers beforehand.

Ok not a popular opinion but I was livid watching that and I understand the boos.

The game is over, they were supported on the pitch and will be next week.

It wasn't good enough, and people have paid lots of money and made lots of effort and are already frustrated at Wembley after 2 games.

Modern football is a two way thing. It's not only "new" fans, there is also a new generation of footballers who seem to only care about who will pay them "what I'm worth", but will never die for the shirt. Because it's the paycheck that drives them.

We know for a fact there is an element of it at the club, and personally speaking, I don't trust any of them in terms of loving it here and this family thing that seemed so strong just a few months back. It sad.

Players need to show their talent and desire for 90 minutes. Sorry, but this money issue for me has taken away the right to play shit.

I'd rather the fans booed once than went on twitter and chatted shit directly.

You didn't think there was any loyalty in football now then. The Perrymans and Gerrard's are long gone. We won't see that like again. If the TV companies didn't dish out so much £ the players couldn't demand s figure. Incidentally, Spurs weren't on TV Sunday so why the 4pm ko?

You didn't think there was any loyalty in football now then. The Perrymans and Gerrard's are long gone. We won't see that like again. If the TV companies didn't dish out so much £ the players couldn't demand s figure. Incidentally, Spurs weren't on TV Sunday so why the 4pm ko?
Agree apart from Gerard who handed in a transfer request to get a pay rise

Hopefully Kane will stick around! Give them something to stay for, and they'll stay.

We were on late because of the rugby the day before

Ok not a popular opinion but I was livid watching that and I understand the boos.

It wasn't good enough, and people have paid lots of money and made lots of effort and are already frustrated at Wembley after 2 games.

Modern football is a two way thing. It's not only "new" fans, there is also a new generation of footballers who seem to only care about who will pay them "what I'm worth", but will never die for the shirt. Because it's the paycheck that drives them.

We know for a fact there is an element of it at the club, and personally speaking, I don't trust any of them in terms of loving it here and this family thing that seemed so strong just a few months back. It sad.

Players need to show their talent and desire for 90 minutes. Sorry, but this money issue for me has taken away the right to play shit.

I suspect a lot of this is to do with the transfer window and the fact it spills out into the beginning of the new season. Our need for doing late business probably doesn't help much. All this money swilling around and who's worth what gets into the players heads. Cutting the window short to tie in with the new season can't come too soon imo.

Perryman was a one off even then. The vast majority of players will play for more than 2 or 3 clubs I expect. I don't know what the actual average would be though?

Look at Graham Roberts and Micky Hazard. Both played for Chelsea but love Spurs, so I don't see that as loyalty or disloyalty, as much as those guys having a love for our football club and probably the memories they had from their playing time at the club and the friendships they made.

Another way to look at it - was it their choice to leave? Or the club being disloyal to them?

there was a widespread boo at the final whistle, think more through disappointment at the result. It wasn't sustained and no chants or anything like that it did take me back a bit though.
That was my impression too. The booing was fairly widespread but very short-lived, but as brumspur brumspur says I think it was a result of a last minute equalizer that everyone could see coming. Not sinister but shocking nonetheless.

Yep, I sort of agree with Sammy - and disagree with all the self-righteous "support the shirt crap".

I didn't actually boo, but I was fuckin livid at their incompetence. I don't think there's any other word for it from highly paid professionals.

They are 5 minutes from winning a game, against a not-very-good side, who are bound to have a rush for it at the end, and they behave like bloody headless chickens. If that was schoolboys playing they'd deserve a bollocking.

I think they need to be told that, by Poch obviously. But I can imagine him in the dressing room saying "hear that? that's what our fans thought of you at the end".

Maybe we're expecting too much in this new era - for sure, I've never cared so much about winning against Burnley as I do now, but that's only because those 2 points could make the difference between 4th and 5th. Surely our players feel the same? And, if they do, I want them to close a game out - you know, like professionals would do.

Does anyone know why Dele looked so glum after scoring? I must've missed something.

I think it was because he'd been getting frustrated before that. Lots of arm waving and shouting at team mates. Not much was coming off for him, including the fact that his goal was a rebound from his first shot being blocked on the line. He's like a kid in the playground who just wants to prove he's better then the rest.

White Hart Lane was the same though. A row of 8 directly behind me was empty for past two years, only had people in them for no more than 2 games per season. Same in every single stand at every single game (including derbies). On a percentage basis I'd bet the figures are close take Burnley yesterday against Burnley at The Lane. Last season they must have been 500 seats not taken against Woolwich! Appreciate my eye test could be way off here. But nothing new about ST's be that at Wembley or WHL I feel, at Wembley it's amplified because of that hideous Bobby Moore club that sit behind the dugouts.
There was definitely a higher proportion of empty seats at Wembley than at any league game at the Lane.

On Sunday there were loads of empty seats near me. At the Lane there's only ever been the odd one or two. Where we sit at Wembley was where the sun was shining very brightly, I had a fever on Sunday and was not feeling too well, after 10 mins I moved to get out the sun and took up a seat in the back row so I could be in the shade. As the first half went on loads of people did the same. There were lots of seats to choose from, even in the shade.

I accept that it's possible that the only difference is that at the Lane, people were able to sell their seats when they didn't go. There were clearly still been people who bought one without intention of going very much. But I personally reckon there's more people doing that now.

After being quite good against Chelsea, the atmosphere (around me, at least) was awful. Most of the people who were getting it going against Chelsea were either not there or not trying so hard.

As well as loads of empty seats and general apathy, there were crying children, people talking throughout the game about unrelated things, and I saw someone listening to the whole game on the radio and reading commentary from some website on his phone, before leaving 10 minutes before the end.

I conclude that home support is dead in the Premier League except for the big games. Same to varying degrees at every club. It was pretty shit at the Lane in the Paxton too, though this was worse.

There was definitely a higher proportion of empty seats at Wembley than at any league game at the Lane.

On Sunday there were loads of empty seats near me. At the Lane there's only ever been the odd one or two. Where we sit at Wembley was where the sun was shining very brightly, I had a fever on Sunday and was not feeling too well, after 10 mins I moved to get out the sun and took up a seat in the back row so I could be in the shade. As the first half went on loads of people did the same. There were lots of seats to choose from, even in the shade.

I accept that it's possible that the only difference is that at the Lane, people were able to sell their seats when they didn't go. There were clearly still been people who bought one without intention of going very much. But I personally reckon there's more people doing that now.
Sure I fully accept that. Point really is there are loads complaining about Wembley, be that atmosphere, empty seats etc. All completely valid but I don't recall a sellout at the Lane, I don't recall a bouncing Lane against Burnley.

The truth is no one will really know true numbers and each individual experience is probably different. But there is no denying people moaned, didn't sing, were negative, booed, told people to sit down, told to be quite, didn't show up, sold ST's for profit at The Lane. There are threads and threads on the topic(s) in here.

Everything is magnified at Wembley. All the same problems, same complaints etc. I was one of a handful of people who sung at the Lane where I used to sit and I was surrounded by moaning cunts. However, my own personal experience at Wembley so far has been highly positive, sat with a good bunch of fans, who all sing and the vast majority I've met so far are new STH's, really refreshing.

After being quite good against Chelsea, the atmosphere (around me, at least) was awful. Most of the people who were getting it going against Chelsea were either not there or not trying so hard.

As well as loads of empty seats and general apathy, there were crying children, people talking throughout the game about unrelated things, and I saw someone listening to the whole game on the radio and reading commentary from some website on his phone, before leaving 10 minutes before the end.

I conclude that home support is dead in the Premier League except for the big games. Same to varying degrees at every club. It was pretty shit at the Lane in the Paxton too, though this was worse.

Yeah that seems about right really. Not having a big time home advantage will cost Spurs points this year. no doubt about it.

Ok we drew, at home against Burnley-we could've done better but why the long face?

200.gif

Back
Top Bottom