Tottenham vs. Cardiff - 06/10/18

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Talking about "winning ugly", knocking out dour 1-0s when needed, I said to my niece that it worked fine for Liverpool in the 70s and early 80s. She rightly replied that you don't have to go back nearly that far, it won Chelsea the league the season before last.

Anyone who bemoans winning without playing in the mythical Tottenham way is both living in cloud cuckoo land and pre-accepting failure. There isn't a club on earth in any moment in time that considers their major honours in any way tainted when they haven't managed to scale the lofty peaks of 70s Brazil footballing purity

Last edited:
Talking about "winning ugly", knocking out dour 1-0s when needed, I said to my niece that it worked fine for Liverpool in the 70s and early 80s. She rightly replied that you don't have to go back nearly that far, it won Chelsea the league the season before last.

Anyone who bemoan winning without playing in the mythical Tottenham way is both living in cloud cuckoo land and pre-accepting failure. There isn't a club on earth in any moment in time that considers their major honours in any way tainted when they haven't managed to scale the loft peaks of 70s Brazil footballing purity

Even Leicester just lumped it long to Vardy every game and nobody knew how to stop it...

Seen a few reports of Poch saying he is surprised Wembley was half full and the press are running with that. But I am sure that the club said Cardiff would be a reduced capacity game anyway way back ? Something to do with the event size cap ?

Yeah but don't let the truth get in the way of a lazy media thrashing.

He just hacked at him. Only because it was cynical doesn't mean it is in anyway more palatable. If anything it makes it worse. It was reckless in the extreme from a distinctly average championship player.
It was Cynical, it was "reckless". Which means it was a yellow card.
The Laws of the game are:
"Reckless" means that the player has made a move with complete disregard for danger to, or consequences for, his opponent.
Unsporting behaviour (Reckless Tackle): Commits a technical foul to impede a promising attack.

It's a Red Card if he his action was judged to be "Serious Foul Play" or "Violent Conduct". No way in hell was that either of those two descriptions, which included two-footed tackles, stamping, going over the top of the ball, being out of control etc....

"Palatable" isn't in the laws of the game.

Just saw it on GOS, I guess Dean was thinking it was more malicious than it actually was, or maybe it’s because Lucas had smashed it 10 yards in front and had a through run on goal...

*shrugs*

The guy who sits in front of me ( Abbey Yid Abbey Yid will know who I mean) towards the end of the game was saying sarcastically, "go on Tottenham, fuck it all up, throw the three points away" as we were passing the ball around the back- with no danger. He kept saying it. He then left on 89 minutes, not even waiting to see the inevitable mistake which led to their equaliser, saying "I've had enough" and then "they should pay me to come".

It was Cynical, it was "reckless". Which means it was a yellow card.
The Laws of the game are:
"Reckless" means that the player has made a move with complete disregard for danger to, or consequences for, his opponent.
Unsporting behaviour (Reckless Tackle): Commits a technical foul to impede a promising attack.

It's a Red Card if he his action was judged to be "Serious Foul Play" or "Violent Conduct". No way in hell was that either of those two descriptions, which included two-footed tackles, stamping, going over the top of the ball, being out of control etc....

"Palatable" isn't in the laws of the game.
It was violent conduct, serious misconduct, it was reckless and it was cynical. Even Cardiff fans think it was a red card.

"Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made."

"A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play."

Seems to be exactly within the definitions. He either didn't challenge for the ball and used excessive force, or if he did, it was excessive force.

Last edited:

I can't stand this odious twat. But he's right about the sending off, he's right that Kane's reaction probably helped the ref make his call (I don't think it was a Red Card in any way).

BUT - He's completely out of order for his words, total lack of class. He's only doing this because he's deflecting his utter shambles at picking up just 2 points from 8 games. It's always someone else's fault with this twat, always blames the ref, the lino, the oppo players and the oppo managers. They had two meaningful attempts on our goal all game, they are shit. They are shit because of him, his management, his inability to put out a side that can compete on the pitch.

I also loved Kane's reaction, that is exactly what you want from your Captain, it was a stand-up and applaud moment. It also led to other players coming over too, this is what our players have to do to win games. I want a team full of players snarling, snidey hard bastards.

I can't stand this odious twat. But he's right about the sending off, he's right that Kane's reaction probably helped the ref make his call (I don't think it was a Red Card in any way).

BUT - He's completely out of order for his words, total lack of class. He's only doing this because he's deflecting his utter shambles at picking up just 2 points from 8 games. It's always someone else's fault with this twat, always blames the ref, the lino, the oppo players and the oppo managers. They had two meaningful attempts on our goal all game, they are shit. They are shit because of him, his management, his inability to put out a side that can compete on the pitch.

I also loved Kane's reaction, that is exactly what you want from your Captain, it was a stand-up and applaud moment. It also led to other players coming over too, this is what our players have to do to win games. I want a team full of players snarling, snidey hard bastards.

I disagree about the card, but hey ho.

It was violent conduct, it was reckless and it was cynical. Even Cardiff fans think it was a red card.

"Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made."

Seems to be exactly within the definition.
Mate that wasn't violent conduct. It was the very definition of a "reckless tackle" (as copied and pasted in my post) which means it was yellow. "Reckless" tackles are not Red Cards, they are Yellow Cards.

Go to FIFA's website for their definition of "violent conduct", they have some pretty powerpoints, of studs up challenges into the shins of players etc. That wasn't excessive force or brutality against Lucas. It was Reckless.

Here are some pretty powerpoint's from FIFA explaining the two: https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/7. law 12_miscounduct_557.pdf

Leicester's most common scoreline (I'm guessing here) towards the end of "that" season must have been 1-0.

And Jeez did I get fed up of crowing Gooners singing 1-0 to the Arse

Citeh last season was a complete aberration

Leicester's most common scoreline (I'm guessing here) towards the end of "that" season must have been 1-0.

And Jeez did I get fed up of crowing Gooners singing 1-0 to the Arse

Citeh last season was a complete aberration
There may be others (Utd for example) but I can honestly only think of 2 teams that have been truly scintillating to watch whilst winning the League. Chelsea in 2005 and City last year. I put Utd in brackets because despite winning numerous titles and some of them were won by a good margin, points wise, I don't ever recall them being sexy, silky team, "Fergie Time" was a real thing.

Mate that wasn't violent conduct. It was the very definition of a "reckless tackle" (as copied and pasted in my post) which means it was yellow. "Reckless" tackles are not Red Cards, they are Yellow Cards.

Go to FIFA's website for their definition of "violent conduct", they have some pretty powerpoints, of studs up challenges into the shins of players etc. That wasn't excessive force or brutality against Lucas. It was Reckless.

Here are some pretty powerpoint's from FIFA explaining the two: https://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/7. law 12_miscounduct_557.pdf
I read those surprisingly amateur slides and am even more convinced. See...
“Using excessive force” means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent. He didn't need to hack Lucas, he could have tripped him, pulled his shirt etc...

You do realise the two pictures are not the only examples of red cards that can be given?

Edit: I do now realise the slides are 14 years old hence the poor quality.

The guy who sits in front of me ( Abbey Yid Abbey Yid will know who I mean) towards the end of the game was saying sarcastically, "go on Tottenham, fuck it all up, throw the three points away" as we were passing the ball around the back- with no danger. He kept saying it. He then left on 89 minutes, not even waiting to see the inevitable mistake which led to their equaliser, saying "I've had enough" and then "they should pay me to come".
Should fuck him off to the Arse!

I read those surprisingly amateur slides and am even more convinced. See...
“Using excessive force” means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent. He didn't need to hack Lucas, he could have tripped him, pulled his shirt etc...

You do realise the two pictures are not the only examples of red cards that can be given?
There is no excessive force. He's side on to Lucas. It doesn't matter what he could have or should have done, he was "Reckless" and the definition of "Reckless" means that the player has made a move with complete disregard for danger to, or consequences for, his opponent. This highlighted bit isn't my words, they are the words used to describe what is seen as "Reckless" by FIFA. They also perfectly fit the description of the action of the Cardiff player.

Referee surrounded by 15 white shirts? No wonder he’s peeved if we had 15 players and they only had 10 I’d been annoyed as well.

Anyone who bemoans winning without playing in the mythical Tottenham way is both living in cloud cuckoo land and pre-accepting failure. There isn't a club on earth in any moment in time that considers their major honours in any way tainted when they haven't managed to scale the lofty peaks of 70s Brazil footballing purity
Totally agree winning whether dour or spectacular is for me the most important thing performance comes second or that is what I tell the Mrs anyway.

Back
Top Bottom