Tottenham Vs Fulham - Scott Parker returns

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nah I prefer when our front line do their jobs properly and finish the game off when given the 15 opportunities the team created

I’ll be here when we finish top 4 and lift a trophy. Your fake joy will be called out, don’t cry later.
Sammy, it feels like we have the same debate week in, week out.
The players cannot be expected to convert every single chance that comes their way.
It’s that simple!

the 15 opportunities that you mention, please list precisely which ones should have been a goal.

the blame firmly lies with Mourinho, his tactics and team line ups are horrific.

Sammy, it feels like we have the same debate week in, week out.
The players cannot be expected to convert every single chance that comes their way.
It’s that simple!

the 15 opportunities that you mention, please list precisely which ones should have been a goal.

the blame firmly lies with Mourinho, his tactics and team line ups are horrific.
Who said we should have scored 15?
Wait.....are you saying that tactics decide if a player fluffs a chance?

Are you saying we could not have possibly scored ONE more of our 15 shots because of Jose?

Here’s some quotes from between 2017-20 under Pochs tenure.
My views are consistent and not depending on being a “fanboy” of any particular manager.
I defended Poch for this too.....because it’s irrefutable.

If our tactics don’t allow us to finish the game, there would be an argument to be had.
Missing chances isn’t tactics.
You know when they won the league?
0-1 Huth at WHL..hardly a game the oppo bent over for them eh.
It was a game where Kane missed several
one on ones and we couldn’t score from some 26 shots. Sound familiar?

Why is missing sitters considered less costly than random poor passes to the oppo?

It’s like people think missing sitters isn’t costly

That’s fair enough but the manager isn’t missing sitters

People are quick to post all Son and Kane’s goals and assists every time someone criticises either, then when they fall short, apparently the tactics don’t allow them to score?

Where’s the stats now then?
3rd best partnership in PL history no?

So SPURS can't kill the game again !!
This is happening too many times

Here is my suggestion,

When they win, 100% of their salary
When they draw, 50% of their salary
When they lose, 0% of their salary

This should be drawn into their contracts.
Not just the team, but the whole squad.

This will DEFINITELY motivate them to kill the game.
Well there’s people on here who think that if we played a 3-5-2 then the exact same chances would have been taken.

It’s not how you kick the ball in a one on one that makes a difference, it’s what the numbers say on the white board in the dressing room.

Nah I prefer when our front line do their jobs properly and finish the game off when given the 15 opportunities the team created

I’ll be here when we finish top 4 and lift a trophy. Your fake joy will be called out, don’t cry later.
I back Mourinho just like you Sammy, and agree we missed some decent chances

But second half we were piss poor all over the pitch. Our tactics were poor, lumping the ball up the pitch and hoping to get lucky, no progress through midfield, he took off Winks who was having one of his better games. Hoj probably his worst this season and stayed on

We needed a goal and Lamela comes instead of Bale

You can blame Son for missing a one on one but Mourinho was at fault last night in my view, no energy or strategy to our play and bad subs

It’s fine to criticise him if he’s messed up, doesn’t mean you are a Poch shagger etc

But second half we were piss poor all over the pitch. Our tactics were poor, lumping the ball up the pitch and hoping to get lucky, no progress through midfield, he took off Winks who was having one of his better games. Hoj probably his worst this season and stayed on

You can blame Son for missing a one on one but Mourinho was at fault last night in my view, no energy or strategy to our play and bad subs

It’s fine to criticise him if he’s messed up, doesn’t mean you are a Poch shagger etc
That’s a fair analogy.
Tactics might be drab, but the simple fact is, missing chances costs games.

The tactics are not stopping us from scoring goals. If Son scores, is it tactics were good all of a sudden?
Or luck?
Or, is it just that the players did what they should have done, under the system they created those chances in..

As soon as we came out for the second half it was guaranteed that Fulham would get back into the game. We immediately let them get onto the front foot, we were lethargic. And that didn't really change for 45 mins. I'm not sure how our manager can sit there and watch that, knowing that he has the talent available in the team and on the bench to take the game to what were very limited opponents. Especially at home.

What was he seeing during the second half?

That’s a fair analogy.
Tactics might be drab, but the simple fact is, missing chances costs games.

The tactics are not stopping us from scoring goals. If Son scores, is it tactics were good all of a sudden?
Or luck?
Or, is it just that the players did what they should have done, under the system they created those chances in..
If Son scored it would be a different story obviously, and maybe you could say our tactics paid off

But this is happening far too often at the moment and it’s something Mourinho needs to adjust in his game plans. When we go 1-0 up against weak opposition we make negative subs and play with zero energy or attacking strategy apart from lumps up the pitch

This is Mourinho’s fault, and it’s ok to criticise him for it

Slept on it.. yup, still utterly depressed by yet another disappointment. I thought football was meant to be fun.. even the ups and downs.

There is no fake joy, I want Mourinho to be successful because I support Tottenham, not the man in charge. You on the other hand fail to realize that this system is not productive and we need to change it. Yes the players should have scored at least one more but that doesn’t excuse our pathetic attempt at football in the second half.

There is no fake joy, I want Mourinho to be successful because I support Tottenham, not the man in charge. You on the other hand fail to realize that this system is not productive and we need to change it. Yes the players should have scored at least one more but that doesn’t excuse our pathetic attempt at football in the second half.
If we were playing the way you wanted to, winning 1-0, missing one on one chances to kill the game, and Aurier jumped up and batted the ball with his hand in the 94th minute gave away a penalty and it was 1-1.

Would you blame:
Tactics?
Missed chances?
Aurier?

Now take Aurier out of the equation, and we are playing the way you want us to, but Kane misses an empty goal, and it finishes 1-1 instead of 2-1.
Do you blame tactics or Kane or some random defender?

Swap Kane for Sissoko missing and empty goal. Who do you blame?

Now I’m willing to bet your answers are Aurier
Random defender
Sissoko

But none will be tactics because “you liked the football”
Yet play a way you don’t like and all three of the above would be tactical fault.

Think about how stupid that is.

The only player to shine was Reggie. More players with motivation please.
Sissoko cannot go forward, Winks doesn't, Ndombelly lasts 80 mins .
Surely anyone can see that we need an athletic and talented midfielder.

The only player to shine was Reggie. More players with motivation please.
Sissoko cannot go forward, Winks doesn't, Ndombelly lasts 80 mins .
Surely anyone can see that we need an athletic and talented midfielder.

Yeah he’s a player I’d love to be able to watch at a game. My gut feeling is his intensity totally dies the second half of games. So guess just a fitness issue. But think it’s key to the team.
Not sure why jose doesn’t trust him slightly deeper in a defensive pair in midfield, like he used to play in France. He has to be better than winks and sissoko there.

Yeah, I agree with that in the main, except I'd share the blame more or less equally between the players and Mourinho.

The subs were very frustrating - I'd have liked to have seen Dele for Winks and then Bale for Ndombele. Neither Lamela nor Vini offered a damn thing really.

Still, the cricket's going very well, gonna try and focus on that to get me through the morning

Sammy you’re right about chances in this game (although I still think you were talking bollox about missed “sitters” in the Wolves game), but you surely can’t defend our approach to the game in the 2nd half?

Too deep (for like the 10th time this season) and too late to make changes.

This is a guy you told us will bring results, you have to concede recent results haven’t been good enough and a large proportion of blame lays with Jose?

Back
Top Bottom