Tottenham Vs Newcastle - Sunday 27th Sept, 2pm KO.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

While I get what you're saying, I'm not really interested in xG stats, which can be flaky, here.

How many times in the past 6 seasons have we had 15+ shots and managed only 1 goal or fewer? Not dug into it, but it seems a fucking ton. And there is zero doubt looking at the PL tables that all too often whats stood between us and the top clubs isn't goals conceded near as often as the fact that we just don't score frequently enough.

This is what's led to so many dropped points. We didn't crack 70 goals the year we dropped the title to Leicester. We were prolific the year we ran second to Chelsea. But since we've been 20+ goals behind the eventual champions. If we're going to win the league we're going to have to stop dropping points in matches where we have 2 dozen shots...we need to make a habit of scoring the 2nd and 3rd goals and securing 3 points.

If its all to do with the opposing keeper standing on their head, then why do opposition keepers put in such performances so much more often against us than Liverpool, City, or Chelsea? We're wasteful. Too often our shot quality is lacking - just getting it on the frame isn't enough. Anyone saying otherwise is in denial.

Agree. The crux is that good coaching strategy leads to good chances at scoring. Finishing those chances comes down to the players. Seems to me we get plenty of those chances, or at least today we did. We need a couple more players with assassin mentality.
Frustrating

I can't believe Newcastle have fucked us at home again through shit reffing and the rules.

You lot may not have gotten over the decision today.

But I still haven't gotten over the decision not to award us a penalty when Lascelles rugby tackled Kane last season.

You need to stop trying to be the tough guy on an Internet forum. Your clearly still too mad to have a meaningful interaction with.

I recall you were being the 'tough guy on the Internet' until it was pointed out you were talking total bollocks. If that upsets you, i suggest you stick to knitting or whatever else it is you do with your time. It's a forum, don't dish out what you can't take back.

Apart from jump less high and don't be so aggressive in challenges what meaningful suggestion did you provide? Please be sure to let Jose, Eric Dier and the club know i'm sure they'll be keen to hear from an Internet expert like yourself.

So based on the farce at the end of this game, Mourinho should get the forwards to practice shooting at the defenders' arms now to win the games? I didn't know becoming "cunts" has now turned to "cheats". Such f'up decision.

What did Bielsa do? This was the point I was was trying to make earlier. Talk is cheap. Have some balls and tell your players to kick it out. Refs and prem will soon get the message. Bruce was lipservice and means sweet fuck all after the incident. Takes a proper spine to not take the decision. Anyone thinking otherwise is deluded

I never said my solution was to not jump with Caroll. I just made a suggestion that after it was obvious it was a tactic of theirs to go for a hand ball. Maybe as the ball was not too close to goal is to jump with arms lower. I understand this is not ideal and it’s hard to jump like this but maybe it was less of a risk. That was just my suggestion, I never said it was perfect solution. It may be wrong, I also get how hard it would be to perform. But I don’t want this to keep happening and the rules are not getting better. So fuckn kill me with your mate for suggesting that.

Jump with arms lower... Sort of like ballet dancers do? Maybe a pirouhette or 2 at the same time?
Stop digging mate seriously just shut the fuck up and go and have a lie down.

I recall you were being the 'tough guy on the Internet' until it was pointed out you were talking total bollocks. If that upsets you, i suggest you stick to knitting or whatever else it is you do with your time. It's a forum, don't dish out what you can't take back.

Apart from jump less high and don't be so aggressive in challenges what meaningful suggestion did you provide? Please be sure to let Jose, Eric Dier and the club know i'm sure they'll be keen to hear from an Internet expert like yourself.
No you threw out the insults first. Feel free to PM me and we can try and have a logical conversation. My only suggestions were to try and be a bit more cautious with arms as it was further out from goal and slightly less dangerous to of lost the header, plus they kept appealing for hand balls. Maybe it’s a shit suggestion. I am just so over us always losing through reasons like this. The Pogba penalty is another. I’m not saying Dier is at fault I’m just saying what can we do so it doesn’t happen next time. As it’s this late after the game it’s great ur passionate and cool to disagree with me and debate. Let’s leave it it like that. Did you see the Vardy penalties? It’s only getting worse.

Having calmed down (well not really) I watched the game again this morning with a more sober perspective - it was by far our best performance for a very long time.

If you ignore goals, and I know you can't, we dominated every aspect of that game - Winks and Hojbjerg showed a glimpse of what they could become, Doherty took a big step forward in his fitness and acclimatisation, the front three created numerous chances and the back four allowed just one shot on goal.

By far Newcastle's best player was Darlow - three world class saves in one match MoM by a country mile.

Stats don't mean bugger all when the score is 1-1 but on most days these stats would have spelt 5-0

Possession 66 - 34
Shots 23-6
On Target 12-1
Passes 640 - 319
Saves made ZERO - 11

When luck and VAR are not on your side blaming the players or the manager is just being a complete dick, sadly this forum has more than its fair share.
"i rather not win than playing shite football" How does it feel ? i'd say 10 x worse feeling than winning
by playing shitty football
Hojbjerg and Winks played really well instead i think whole team played really well, Newcastle really created nothing ,which is why it's awful to see us drawing instead

Jump with arms lower... Sort of like ballet dancers do? Maybe a pirouhette or 2 at the same time?
Stop digging mate seriously just shut the fuck up and go and have a lie down.
Stop trying to be a tough keyboard warrior. Your not a mobster buddy. Why don’t we keep jumping with the elbow like Shearer? Jumping with hands low is very difficult, in fact it’s dangerous to our players jumping with arms low. However we don’t want to keep losing like this. Have you seen the Vardy penalties? The rules are a disgrace now but we need to try and do something. Now find someone else to bully who has a different opinion to you. Tough guy

overall an excellent team performance. Players were hungry and chasing down balls, the passing was quick and creative. Everyone seemed to know what their job was out there. Newcastle keeper had a blinder of a game, otherwise we would have buried it 6 feet under by the end of the first half.

Shit decision with VAR punished us but if we continue to play with the cohesiveness we showed today, the points will flow.

COYS

I was really enjoying the way we were playing all game. Solid everywhere on the pitch. When we kept getting chances after chances and woodwork as well as the saves, I knew they would score to equalize. It was one of those days. I just knew that they would get some kind of a call before time runs out. The fact that it was 5 mins added, I knew we wouldn’t walk away with all 3 points.

I am optimistic and seeing how we worked as a team throughout the game. I felt bad for Dier and Hugo. They all played a solid and clean game.

My reading of this is that it would only be if the arm was in an unnatural position and I don’t see how Dier’s were
Except for the above offences, it is not an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm:

• directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot)
  • directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close
  • if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger
  • when a player falls and the hand/arm is between the body and the ground to support the body, but not extended laterally or vertically away from the body

Surely it shouldn't be a penalty then considering Carroll was extremely close. This rule was meant to be brought in to remove ambiguity, yet 'a player who is close' is an extremely ambiguous sentence. How close is close?

Except for the above offences, it is not an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm:

• directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot)
  • directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close
  • if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger
  • when a player falls and the hand/arm is between the body and the ground to support the body, but not extended laterally or vertically away from the body

Surely it shouldn't be a penalty then considering Carroll was extremely close. This rule was meant to be brought in to remove ambiguity, yet 'a player who is close' is an extremely ambiguous sentence. How close is close?

Please. Your facts are nothing more than emotive over-reacting. It isn't as if this happened to Doc last week against Soton. :pochcmon:

My reading of this is that it would only be if the arm was in an unnatural position and I don’t see how Dier’s were
This.

it’s an unnatural position if he’s just standing there defending. But he’s in the air FFS. there’s nothing unnatural about using your arms to balance yourself while your feet are off the effing ground.

Back
Top Bottom