Tottenham Vs Nottingham Forest - Sunday 7th April, 6pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tottenham will...

• Total voters
xg only matters when we lose the xg battle...

I post xG after pretty much every game, they just took another day to get the tweet out after Forest so I've only just posted it.

You're the one interpreting the meaning of the tweet. Ultimately we won 3-1 so the xG objectively doesn't matter, it's just of interest to (some) people.

I post xG after pretty much every game, they just took another day to get the tweet out after Forest so I've only just posted it.

You're the one interpreting the meaning of the tweet. Ultimately we won 3-1 so the xG objectively doesn't matter, it's just of interest to (some) people.

ok

4 Forest players in the box, 8 Spurs players in the box. 2 players loaded to the ball so short pass impossible. The only pass to the 2 open Forest players is a floated cross with plenty of time for Spurs defenders to win it in the air or at worst close the space.

I don't see why there is an issue with this screenshot?
It's easy to exploit with a decent whipped ball over to a tall forward + half-clever movement from incoming players.

It's zonal nonsense and a bundle of potential confusion.

And we will ship unnecessary goals if this is gonna be our go-to.

It's zonal nonsense and a bundle of potential confusion.
Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

There is 2 defenders within 3 feet of the ball. You can't easily whip in anything.

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

There is 2 defenders within 3 feet of the ball. You can't easily whip in anything.
The shit ball that was floated across could easily have been a much better ball from a better player (who has gained a yard) to spare men at the far post.

I don't think we're going to agree on this being a sub-optimal approach.

If our defensive record was that of scum's, I'd be much more inclined to your view.

I think we have tweaking to do.

The shit ball that was floated across could easily have been a much better ball from a better player (who has gained a yard) to spare men at the far post.

If our defensive record was that of scum's, I'd be much more inclined to your view.

We def need to improve the defensive record. The biggest tweak is personel IMO. Not having 4 FBs for half the season will make the biggest difference.

Just for some balance, how many of those goals have resulted from individual faux pas?

I can think of 2 from Udogie, off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure there are a few more.

They weren't as a result of the defensive system breaking down, so it might put a bit of a better slant on just how successful zonal marking is.

I'm sure I read a while ago, when Benitez was using it at the dippers, that stats showed it was more effective than man for man marking.

Maybe it's just another component of our play that still needs work to get it operating to it's peak efficiency? You don't bin off something, just because it doesn't work 100%, when you've only just introduced it.

Back
Top Bottom