Tottenham vs Queensh Pork Razors

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I didn't know the result and just watched MOTD. Obviously it is condensed and edited to make a game of it but, our defending looked shocking. Every little dink or lob into the box seems to cause trouble. We do tend to either miss the ball a lot or attempt to fanny around with it in critical areas. I presume we predominantly mark zonally given all the free men always in our box. Too often we seem to be in the wrong zones!

Of course we could've scored 2-3 more easily but, seems to me so could they and a better team will do that to us more often than not.

We are undoubtedly a better side than them and made it count. I am ecstatic with 6pts from 6 in 4 days given our recent, tiring and disappointing run but, the defending has to be a worry looking at most of the chances and goals conceded in the past 7 games.
Hopefully it's just general tiredness and mental fatigue causing lapses of concentration that will be improved by more rest between games from now on.

I haven't read all the thread and think there are plenty of positives that remain evident but, anybody who can't see all the defensive lapses mounting up is being blinkered. If Poch is as good as many are convinced he is then he'll see it!

Virtually every team has had problems defending at Loftus Road - Liverpool deserved to lose heavily earlier in the season and somehow scraped a win.

Armstrong doesn't belong in that list, he was a good player for us.

....Crooks (Stoke), Chivers (So'ton), Gilzean (Dundee), Archibald (Aberdeen) ... none of them came from massive clubs.
:adelol::kaboullol::eriksenlol::paulinholol::vert:
Sheer Brilliance! (Time Out)
Comedy Genius (The Guardian)
Jenny Talia Jenny Talia is the next Sarah Millican!!

Though you do have a very good point about Crooks, Chivers etc. 7Not saying we've never got a gem from lower down the leagues... but we have signed a lot of duffers too!
(mind you, hasn't everyone??)

Last edited:
Obviously Ramsey said get it up and over the back four.
That was the be all and end all of their game...hoof.
Not too mention in the 2nd half they used the sun to their advantage with the hoofing, whilst we only capitalised with the free kick.
Any back four will find it hard to defend against a constant rain of balls over the top to Zamora and Austin.
We hit the bar, they hit the bar.
Apart from that I think Green had just as much to do as Lloris did.
Before we played them they had lost 5 times at home and we 4.
We have played there 6 times in the EPL and only won once before yesterday.
Oh, and Woolwich only managed to beat them 2-1 too ( with no Ferdinand, Caulker going off injured & Sandro after an Hour and they then they bagged 2 goals) in a similar game to us, and Liverpool scraped a win 3-2.

We had a bit of luck and they did. I wish Eriksen's curler would have gone in.

What pissed me off is Ramsey claiming that they were robbed with the two penalty decisions. None were clear cut penalties. After they magnified it x 20 I still struggle to see the contact Lloris made on his 'heel' w I know that if you are hurt you do not roll around moving the part that is so severely fucked...cunt.
As for the 'handball'..you cannot be serious. They were not stone wall penalties and would have been very harsh.
The way they're both scrutinised on MOTD was tragic just to fill time. They also had to make a claim for the first goal being offside ffs and then tell you it wasn't when there was no fucking doubt anyway.
While I am at it, what is an un natural position for the arms? Some players put their arms behind the backs when defending a cross from a winger. That's not a natural position and if it hits those arms will that not be a pen all day long as the arms are in an un natural position? What about if it its fired against your hand when they are protecting your balls in a wall ? A natural position would be at you side would it not, so pena all day long?
FFS, raising your arms in the air when you jump is natural. You cannot jump otherwise. Raising your hands to protect your face when the ball is whacked at pace towards it form a yard is instinctive, both are the most natural position ever for arms.

Obviously Ramsey said get it up and over the back four.
That was the be all and end all of their game...hoof.
Not too mention in the 2nd half they used the sun to their advantage with the hoofing, whilst we only capitalised with the free kick.
Any back four will find it hard to defend against a constant rain of balls over the top to Zamora and Austin.
We hit the bar, they hit the bar.
Apart from that I think Green had just as much to do as Lloris did.
Before we played them they had lost 5 times at home and we 4.
We have played there 6 times in the EPL and only won once before yesterday.
Oh, and Woolwich only managed to beat them 2-1 too ( with no Ferdinand, Caulker going off injured & Sandro after an Hour and they then they bagged 2 goals) in a similar game to us, and Liverpool scraped a win 3-2.

We had a bit of luck and they did. I wish Eriksen's curler would have gone in.

What pissed me off is Ramsey claiming that they were robbed with the two penalty decisions. None were clear cut penalties. After they magnified it x 20 I still struggle to see the contact Lloris made on his 'heel' w I know that if you are hurt you do not roll around moving the part that is so severely fucked...cunt.
As for the 'handball'..you cannot be serious. They were not stone wall penalties and would have been very harsh.
The way they're both scrutinised on MOTD was tragic just to fill time. They also had to make a claim for the first goal being offside ffs and then tell you it wasn't when there was no fucking doubt anyway.
While I am at it, what is an un natural position for the arms? Some players put their arms behind the backs when defending a cross from a winger. That's not a natural position and if it hits those arms will that not be a pen all day long as the arms are in an un natural position? What about if it its fired against your hand when they are protecting your balls in a wall ? A natural position would be at you side would it not, so pena all day long?
FFS, raising your arms in the air when you jump is natural. You cannot jump otherwise. Raising your hands to protect your face when the ball is whacked at pace towards it form a yard is instinctive, both are the most natural position ever for arms.

Bentaleb was so close to Austin when he shot that his follow through caught him in the chest - that can't be considered deliberate hand ball

Bentaleb was so close to Austin when he shot that his follow through caught him in the chest - that can't be considered deliberate hand ball

No commentator even mentioned that.

He had his arms up because Austins shin was about to go straight through his stomach/chest. You let someone kick you in the chest and see if you wont fold your stomach in and try to parry with your elbows. Can't be any more natural, it's fucking instinct.

I think that case should never be a penalty. I could see it given for Lloris though, he touches him slightly on his foot, but honestly the guy threw himself flapping to the ground like an injured swan. Looks like a dive all day for the ref when you overdo it like that.

About time...cant believe he's behind lamela and townsend.

He instantly brings strenght, composure, quality, class and purpose to our midfield
The only trouble is he could rarely can do it for 90 mins and was always injured.
Start with him every game strong and HAVE to bring him off thenhave those recurring injuries or bring him on nice and strong when they are tiring, manage him well and improve his fitness/liabiltiy to injury?
If you look at the amount of times he has tired at 70 mins and then been missing because of injury over the years, then this season has been better for him.
He's only been injured once this season early on in September ( which is a fucking miracle) and has looked much fitter, leaner and improved his game when he does play.
I think Poch realised his fitness was an issue and he suffered a lot of injuries. He is rebuilding him obviously and being very careful with him.
He has been managed very well imo.

edit: when MP took over I thought that Dembele would probably be gone. I just could not see how he could fit in with the managers game, i.e., press/fast passing/mobility.
However, Moussa is still here so he obviously thinks he can.
It's early days yet.

Last edited:
No commentator even mentioned that.

He had his arms up because Austins shin was about to go straight through his stomach/chest. You let someone kick you in the chest and see if you wont fold your stomach in and try to parry with your elbows. Can't be any more natural, it's fucking instinct.

I think that case should never be a penalty. I could see it given for Lloris though, he touches him slightly on his foot, but honestly the guy threw himself flapping to the ground like an injured swan. Looks like a dive all day for the ref when you overdo it like that.

I've seen loads of replays of the Lloris one and still can't tell for certain that he actually touched Isla at all.

From the refs point of view Lloris jumps and commits himself - if Isla just side steps him, he has a shot at an unguarded goal.........why not just score?......the fact he didn't suggests he just slipped or rolled his ankle

One thing completely unmentioned was the possible foul on Dier before Austin hit the bar - the commentators just seemed to completely ignore that one.

One thing completely unmentioned was the possible foul on Dier before Austin hit the bar - the commentators just seemed to completely ignore that one.
Dier goes to play the ball and his leg is stopped and he gets knocked forward onto his knees from behind/LHS. Clear foul IMV
http://footyroom.com/queens-park-rangers-1-2-tottenham-hotspur-2015-03/
from 1.49 its seen clearly - and amazingly the ref had perfect sight of it.....

that save of Austins was awesome BTW, WTF was their main goal threat doing back there?

Agree! Got the same feeling... but we do have knack of going for this type of player who are 'Good at a lesser club' ....see points of reference below:
- Chris Armstrong (Palace)
- Gregorz Raziak (Derby)
- Little Lord Etherington (Peterborough)
- Jason Dozzell (Ipswich)
- Andy Sinton (Q.P.R)
- Darren Bent (Charlton)
- David Bentley (Blackburn)
- Gary Doherty (Luton Town)
- Adebayor (Arseanal/Real Madrid /Man City!) :adelol:

Armstrong doesn't belong in that list, he was a good player for us.
Crooks (Stoke), Chivers (So'ton), Gilzean (Dundee), Archibald (Aberdeen) ... none of them came from massive clubs.

Don't forget Gary Mabbutt from Bristol Rovers...

And my best ... Graham Roberts from the Weymouth .​

And my best ... Graham Roberts from the Weymouth .​
Good call!
WEYYYYYYYYYMOUTH! Imagine us ever signing anyone from Weymouth ever again, ever??!

...ah.

pg-2.png

Peter Guthrie
Personal information
Date of birth
10 October 1961 (age 53) Place of birth Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Height 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)
Playing position Goalkeeper
Senior career* Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
1986–1987
Blyth Spartans
1987–1988 Weymouth 20 (0)
1988–1989 Tottenham Hotspur 0 (0)

1988Swansea City (loan) 14 (0)
1989–1990 Barnet 18 (0)
1990–1991 Bournemouth 10 (0)
1991–1993 Sing Tao
1993–1994 Gateshead 8 (0)
1993–1994 Whitley Bay (0)
1994–1997 Hong Kong Rangers (0)
1997–2001 Happy Valley (0)
2002–2006 Bedlington Terriers (0)
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).

Because I genuinely doubt NorseYid NorseYid understands the game. I don't disagree with him for the sake of it.

He wants us to have a defensive midfielder and thinks that will stop goals raining in. I've told him several times, you can't ask your midfield to press and defend space, it's impossible.

Defence seems to be a sore spot for us right now. When you look at teams with extreame pressing systems like us and the masters of it Barcelona the defence is based on aggressive ball winning from the front, every player pushing up behind the next to deny the opposition any time.

This requires players with great tactical discipline, they need to know when to push forward to win the ball back in unison with teammates and when to fall back when the lines are broken, e.g open counter attack.

Sometimes in defensive situations I have noticed certain players trying to press when they should not have and thus leaving space in behind. I don't think our issues generally come from bad individual errors (although we have seen some recently) but mainly from the team shape not always being right and leaving us exposed so buying players won't solve the issue unless we get real quality, I think it's more experience with the system, a few years and we will get it right more often than not.

Pepe Guardiola said of his Barca 'we are a horrible team without the ball' and his Barca were far stronger defensively than us denying the opposition any time on the ball. All pressing teams are vulnerable to the counter and the ball over the top, we don't have Barca's players but we must use their example of how to solve the natural defensive issues that come with pressing and that's far more than get a nice centre back or defensive midfielder.

That's being said I wouldn't refuse Schneiderlin.

Back
Top Bottom