Tottenham's worst manager and the manager you hated the most.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One of the many things that grated on me about Sherwood was his tendency to put himself first above anything else.
Post-match interviews where (if we'd lost) would refer to the team as 'they', yet if we won, it was 'we'. Or if the team played badly, it was because they didn't do what he told them to. Yet if we played well, it because he got his tactics spot on....unless we played well and lost, in which case he got his tactics right but the players weren't good enough to win the game.
In Sherwoods head, he was always right and would quite happily throw the team under the bus so he looked good on camera.
A self-serving twat of the highest order.

At what stage did you feel that we became mundane and boring under Francis?

I think the low point under Francis was the 96/97 injury crisis when we were reduced to playing Neale Fenn and Rory Allen up front, spent the whole season in mid-table, suffered 6-1 and 7-1 hammerings by Bolton and Newcastle and had the end of season party in January when we went out of the FA Cup to Man Utd.

For all its faults, I enjoyed the 97/98 relegation battle a lot more; at least we had something to play for and we even got Klinsmann back for a little while. Here's the 6-2 against Wimbledon for those who are interested:

There were a lot of very good games in AVB's first season. People tend to associate his reign only with the car crash of a second season.

I thought he had a rough deal at the Chavs and to a lesser extent with us but can understand the feeling towards him but still not in Graham or Gross’s League

Poorest for me was AVB. He had a good squad and produced clueless and boring football, especially towards the end.

Most hated for me was George Graham. Was so disliked that I can remember singing “The man in the raincoat and his blue and white army” because we couldn’t bear to say his name. This wasn’t just because of his Ars*nal connections but because I felt he didn’t seem to appreciate Ginola who was a genius and often the only player worth watching. He also sold or allowed him to be sold when he was still our best player

I thought he had a rough deal at the Chavs and to a lesser extent with us but can understand the feeling towards him but still not in Graham or Gross’s League

Just look at the way Chelsea's season took off the moment they got rid of AVB.

Abramovich could tell that he was a twat and acted in the club's best interests.

It's one of the clearest examples of a manager's dismissal being proven beyond any doubt to be the right decision.

I think the low point under Francis was the 96/97 injury crisis when we were reduced to playing Neale Fenn and Rory Allen up front, spent the whole season in mid-table, suffered 6-1 and 7-1 hammerings by Bolton and Newcastle and had the end of season party in January when we went out of the FA Cup to Man Utd.

For all its faults, I enjoyed the 97/98 relegation battle a lot more; at least we had something to play for and we even got Klinsmann back for a little while. Here's the 6-2 against Wimbledon for those who are interested:

The relief that day when we went 2-4 up.....not many times in life you feel that way.

just watched the highlights back. How funny to see Ginola destroying Ben Thatcher only to end up with no Ginola and Ben Thatcher playing for us two years later. Fuck sake.......

Poorest for me was AVB. He had a good squad and produced clueless and boring football, especially towards the end.

Most hated for me was George Graham......This wasn’t just because of his Ars*nal connections but because I felt he didn’t seem to appreciate Ginola who was a genius and often the only player worth watching. He also sold or allowed him to be sold when he was still our best player

I agree, flogging Ginola when it was so poor was hard to take. But being pragmatic Ginola was 33 when he was sold and had been a bit indifferent in 99/00 season. 3 million was a lot for a 33 year old winger back then. And trying to be open minded Graham did motivate Ginola to PFA & FW player of the year in 98/99 season.

I am not trying to defend Graham, I felt awful when Ginola left, but I can understand why he was sold in hindsight.

Just look at the way Chelsea's season took off the moment they got rid of AVB.

Abramovich could tell that he was a twat and acted in the club's best interests.

It's one of the clearest examples of a manager's dismissal being proven beyond any doubt to be the right decision.

But AVB was appointed by Abramovich to sort out the dressing room and to get rid of dead wood

He tried to do this and player power took over and AVB was then thrown under the bus by Abramovich who bowed to this player power lead by that cunt JT and sacked AVB

Same thing happened to Maureen at the same club a few years later and it’s now happening to us

Disgraceful imv

But AVB was appointed by Abramovich to sort out the dressing room and to get rid of dead wood

He tried to do this and player power took over and AVB was then thrown under the bus by Abramovich who bowed to this player power lead by that cunt JT and sacked AVB

Same thing happened to Maureen at the same club a few years later and it’s now happening to us

Disgraceful imv

Look at Chelsea's results under AVB, it clearly wasn't working.

Look at Chelsea's results after AVB left.

I rest my case.

As for us, it's far too early to say that player power is a factor in the recent results.

Look at Chelsea's results under AVB, it clearly wasn't working.

Look at Chelsea's results after AVB left.

I rest my case.

As for us, it's far too early to say that player power is a factor in the recent results.

That’s not the point I was making

He was shit on!!

That’s not the point I was making

He was shit on!!

He was sacked because his results were shit. Chelsea's season took off the moment he left.

You might think he was shit on but managing egos is part of modern day football management. I think his sacking was fully justified and what happened on the pitch immediately afterwards proves that.

I agree, flogging Ginola when it was so poor was hard to take. But being pragmatic Ginola was 33 when he was sold and had been a bit indifferent in 99/00 season. 3 million was a lot for a 33 year old winger back then. And trying to be open minded Graham did motivate Ginola to PFA & FW player of the year in 98/99 season.

I am not trying to defend Graham, I felt awful when Ginola left, but I can understand why he was sold in hindsight.

It was a long time ago but I still remember him as our best player. I think Graham seemed to view him as flash and didn’t seem to like him. Selling him didn’t help Graham as Spurs were worse the season after Ginola was sold and Graham was sacked. Ginola has often said since that he was very happy at Spurs and was heartbroken when sold

It was a long time ago but I still remember him as our best player. I think Graham seemed to view him as flash and didn’t seem to like him. Selling him didn’t help Graham as Spurs were worse the season after Ginola was sold and Graham was sacked. Ginola has often said since that he was very happy at Spurs and was heartbroken when sold
All true. But he was 33 and on the way down & there was a hefty fee involved.

He didn't do much at Villa either but we don't know whether that was because he was heartbroken or if he was just past it. But it was pretty clear that Graham wanted him out.

I think that was a common theme in his career. He came to us because Kenny Dalglish wanted him out of Newcastle - we got him for £2.5m while Dalglish held out for £6m for Les Ferdinand. What does that tell you?

Still think he was pretty effective at time of selling and was £3 million that much? He had played nearly fifty times that season and so didn’t appear over the hill. I am not saying that he set the world alight at Villa but sometimes I think certain players are suited to certain clubs and I think Ginola was perfect for Spurs and vice versa.
Anyway I respect your opinion

Last edited:
I remember being excited to see a new drama start up years ago: Home and Away. Thought it was going to be some gritty football affair and it turned out to be about a bunch of bell-end Australians (no offence to Australians, just the dickwits in that soap). That's how I felt about Ramos. All hope and no reward.

Back
Top Bottom