Tottenham's worst manager and the manager you hated the most.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Still think he was pretty effective at time of selling and was £3 million that much? He had played nearly fifty times that season and so didn’t appear over the hill. I am not saying that he set the world alight at Villa but sometimes I think certain players are suited to certain clubs and I think Ginola was perfect for Spurs and vice versa.
Anyway I respect your opinion

I am certainly not saying you are wrong at all, and it’s only hindsight that makes me wonder if there was more to it than keeping hold of our better players. I seem to have memories of that 99/00 season being especially terrible after Christmas, can’t remember correctly but was that the season Graham was ill and we ended up with Stuart Houston as manager ?

Last edited:
In my lifetime Gross, Santini and Ramos all struck me as being particularly clueless - in their own way, all ill-advised attempts to emulate the successes of other clubs, rather than doing things our own way. That rarely pans out well.

AVB was alright at one stage but when the wheels fell off they really fell off - some of those heavy defeats are the worst I've ever seen as a Spurs fan.

Harry was good, a bit of a twat as a person (google Harry Redknapp property) but the football we played under him - admittedly with great players - was genuinely thrilling at times.

Sherwood was a funny one, a self-serving prick but quite entertaining too as he tended to shoot from the hip in interviews and post-match. Probably quite weak and not suited to us, but not quite as bad as some on here are saying either (glad we moved on though).

Reading about our past managers makes me hope desperately that Poch has turned the corner.

Sherwood not "as bad as some here are saying"?

He has done literally fuck all since leaving us and cannot get any other jobs than rent-a-quote gigs on terrible broadcasters, saying stuff you'd hear punters in pubs say. Because, as it happens, that is probably his level of football knowledge, since that was stuff he said even when managing too.

The football was absolutely car-crash football with no real plan and players hillariously out of position - e.g. Chadli and Paulinho in CM.

Top of that he was a notorious bad mouther, and the assumption that he is somehow a Spurs fan post-managment is absolutely bullshit.

Sherwood not "as bad as some here are saying"?

I guess this is aimed my post, right? No fan of tactics Tim but tbh he wouldn't get in my top 3 worst managers of my lifetime, granted we've had some shockers.

Agree with the rest of your post - he'd be top 3 for cringe factor, easily.

remember though, Jol - who I really like - also did nothing after leaving us. Breath of fresh air at the time.

Last edited:
I am certainly not saying you are wrong at all, and it’s only hindsight that makes me wonder if there was more to it than keeping hold of our better players. I seem to have memories of that 99/00 season being especially terrible after Christmas, can’t remember correctly but was that the season Graham was ill and we ended up with Stuart Houston as manager ?

It was a bit of an up and down season for Spurs admittedly. They were poor after Christmas but they got 10 points from the last fifteen with the only game lost during that period being against Man Utd when Ginola was inexplicably dropped “to give younger players a chance.”

It was an interesting article but just because Graham felt Ginola had been inconsistent that season doesn’t necessarily mean he was- maybe he had already planned to get rid of Ginola and perhaps making such comments was one way of justifying it.

Anyway you have persuaded me to dig out my highlights of the season dvd to refresh my memory!

It was a bit of an up and down season for Spurs admittedly. They were poor after Christmas but they got 10 points from the last fifteen with the only game lost during that period being against Man Utd when Ginola was inexplicably dropped “to give younger players a chance.”

It was an interesting article but just because Graham felt Ginola had been inconsistent that season doesn’t necessarily mean he was- maybe he had already planned to get rid of Ginola and perhaps making such comments was one way of justifying it.

Anyway you have persuaded me to dig out my highlights of the season dvd to refresh my memory!
Oh my - sorry fella. Did not mean for you to have to revisit those dark days via DVD. I hope you manage to get some sleep later :)

I guess this is aimed my post, right? No fan of tactics Tim but tbh he wouldn't get in my top 3 worst managers of my lifetime, granted we've had some shockers.

Agree with the rest of your post - he'd be top 3 for cringe factor, easily.

remember though, Jol - who I really like - also did nothing after leaving us. Breath of fresh air at the time.

Sorry, I can see I took that quote from your post, but I did not mean it like that.

Just my overall opinion to this thread, I guess. Heart boiling over, and all that.

Personally, I don't hate any of the managers; they all had good and bad qualities and even during the times where things weren't going so well there were things that boded well for us in the longer term. My father always said "He who never makes a mistake never learns anything" and when we have bad times we always come back stronger for the experience i.e we responded to the Ramos crisis by qualifying for the Champions' League the following season and not finishing outside the top six since. I think we need another boom and bust before we can come back as title contenders.

The 97/98 season review is available to watch on YT for those who want a refresher course on the good points of Gross's time with us:

If you want true despair, watch the 96/97 review:

I never get the hate for Sherwood. And my only conclusion is because he was english and rough around the edges. Plus cos there was a massive love in with people that loved AVB at the time and saw Sherwood with his gilet and geezer accent and nearly choked on their skinny foamy lattes.

Sherwood got us scoring again and identified some players that had become unruly under AVB. He brought back adebayor into the fold who was on fire again and let's not forget he's the man who started playing Kane to everyone's bewilderment. (everyone was obsessed with soldado.) You cant knock that at all. He pushed for youth players.to actually get played.

He wasn't perfect but I thought he did a decent job mid season under the circumstances.

For me it's AVB. I think he's a fraud and don't know how he's managed to get top jobs. I remember an article of a small club who turned him down cos they cudnt understand his jargon and pseudo intelligent bullshit.

I never get the hate for Sherwood. And my only conclusion is because he was english and rough around the edges. Plus cos there was a massive love in with people that loved AVB at the time and saw Sherwood with his gilet and geezer accent and nearly choked on their skinny foamy lattes.

Sherwood got us scoring again and identified some players that had become unruly under AVB. He brought back adebayor into the fold who was on fire again and let's not forget he's the man who started playing Kane to everyone's bewilderment. (everyone was obsessed with soldado.) You cant knock that at all. He pushed for youth players.to actually get played.

He wasn't perfect but I thought he did a decent job mid season under the circumstances.

For me it's AVB. I think he's a fraud and don't know how he's managed to get top jobs. I remember an article of a small club who turned him down cos they cudnt understand his jargon and pseudo intelligent bullshit.

For me Timmy was obnoxious and arrogant, I couldn't bring myself to 'get' him at the time and I still am not a fan. However there's something in his approach that I find admirable - wasn't afraid to play the kids and knock some senior egos, at a time when we were playing like absolutely crap too. He was a loose cannon but not a Levy 'yes man' as some predicted and as you say he did blood what turned out to be some important players.

I didn't mind AVB but I think there's something in what you say - crudely put, AVB = continental sophistication vs Tim = Essex wide boy, which speaks to some presumptions. You saw the same thing with Harry, to an extent.

He didn't appear sophisticated to me.

He talked nonsense and constantly sounded like he needed to clear his throat.

To you maybe, but others aren't so partisan. There was quite a lot of love for him at the time, IIRC.

For my part I thought AVB was alright, I wish him well enough but I think we were right to sack him when he did.

To you maybe, but others aren't so partisan. There was quite a lot of love for him at the time, IIRC.

For my part I thought AVB was alright, I wish him well enough but I think we were right to sack him when he did.

I think that love quickly disappeared once Bale was no longer there to paper over the cracks,

Back
Top Bottom