Transfer Bargain Bucket: Players with contract expiring in 2021/22

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Celtic have some interesting players with contracts expiring next year.

Odsonne Edouard (centre-forward, 23 years old)
Kristoffer Ajer (centre-back, 22 years old. right footed but plays on the left as well)
Ryan Christie (attacking midfielder, 26 years old, 5 goals and 14 assists so far this season in all competitions).

All quality players. I think we have been linked with Ajer previously as well. And with Celtic just having lost the league title and looking in need of a rebuild themselves it could be worth having a look. Also. They might not help our homegrown numbers. But we shouldn't have to worry about them (Christie obviously excluded) needing a work permit since they already are in the UK.

Kristoffer Ajer (centre-back, 22 years old. right footed but plays on the left as well)
Ryan Christie (attacking midfielder, 26 years old, 5 goals and 14 assists so far this season in all competitions).

All quality players. I think we have been linked with Ajer previously as well. And with Celtic just having lost the league title and looking in need of a rebuild themselves it could be worth having a look. Also. They might not help our homegrown numbers. But we shouldn't have to worry about them (Christie obviously excluded) needing a work permit since they already are in the UK.
I'd normally be open to Celtic players, but why did they do so badly this year? Got totally trounced by Rangers in the league.

Perhaps give him a 2 year contract while waiting for a serious RB proposition to emerge. We're in danger of losing Aurier for nothing.

Aurier's a problem. He's wanted out the last 2 summers, and had he moved last summer I'd have been delighted as he's always had that 'clusterfuck' waiting to happen - and I'm sure club went for Doherty early as AC Milan were keen on Doherty but its rumoured they had short arms and deep pockets when it came to paying a fee.

Aurier seems to have upped his game this season, so footballing wise I'd be perfectly happy for him to be here next season given the number of other changes we need to make. But will he sign a one or two year extension ? If not, as you say, we probably need to move him on to avoid losing him for free.

Vazquez on a 2 year contract would probably be a decent deal for us at the right price -but don't know if a player would go for it as at the end aged 32 might be challenging to get another contract.

Haven't seen him this season but good stats for Tavernier. £8m.

This guy has 11 goals and 9 assists playing at RB! Even for SPL that's pretty impressive.

With contract running out in 2022, this should definitely be considered by Levy. Have added him into my table.

This guy has 11 goals and 9 assists playing at RB! Even for SPL that's pretty impressive.

With contract running out in 2022, this should definitely be considered by Levy. Have added him into my table.

At 29 I think we need to be looking at the position longer term.

Maybe if we are bringing in two new RB's and he is brought in with another guy but all this does is punt the RB decision down another year and we need to look at having an option or at least potential option for the next 5-10 years.

Quite like Christie but not sure he could make the step up to a top 4 PL team. Probably more suited to a Southampton or Brighton type move.

Edouard is very good. Would be a good Kane understudy and could contribute in a wide role too.

Ajer is decent but wouldn't say an upgrade on the likes of Dier, Rodon or Sanchez. Maybe if we sell two CB's and get a top class one in plus someone like Ajer it might work.

Ousmane Dembele is in great form, and his contract expires in 2022.

However, the new Barca president is elected today, and they will likely prioritise his contract renewal urgently. One to watch out for.

We dont need another medical student

Good point, he's played around 60% of his games at RB this season. I will add him to the table as a RB option.

I just watched him play at RW for Real a few times in the CL and assumed he'd still be playing there.
Do you know if this is just a temporary measure because they have a RB injury problem, or has he been in this position in recent years?
Carvajal has been absent and they dont have another RB, so Vasquez has been deputizing

Quite like Christie but not sure he could make the step up to a top 4 PL team. Probably more suited to a Southampton or Brighton type move.

Edouard is very good. Would be a good Kane understudy and could contribute in a wide role too.

Ajer is decent but wouldn't say an upgrade on the likes of Dier, Rodon or Sanchez. Maybe if we sell two CB's and get a top class one in plus someone like Ajer it might work.
I quite like all these players so I would be willing to take the gamble on all of them if possible.

I see it more as improving the squad, rather than the first 11. Christie could easily work as a backup AM/Europa League starter for us.
We're going into rebuild mode so we have to be willing to gamble on players that can grow into it.

Have added Edouard and Ajer to the table 👍
Christie's stats are a bit mediocre given gap between SPL and PL.

I don’t think we can afford Pope given COVID still impacting gate receipts. I rate Seny Dieng (QPR never seem to get top fees for their players) as the GK prospect but he is contracted until 2024. Pope helps the home grown quote so would be great, but expect Burnley will ask £40M for him
If no actual money is going to be spent on a new keeper I hope we sign lloris for another 2-3 seasons contract this summer. While it'd be great to sign a sexy young keeper, we aren't going to do that. This at least saves us from a potentially calamitous trip into Levy's bargainville.

Back
Top Bottom