Transfer window shutting 3 weeks before rest of Europe

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I like it. Going back to having the window open after the season starts would be horrible. Some sitiuations may occur where it's disadvantages, but some where it advantageous. Overall it's a positive I think.

Its not about being poached its about having to pay higher prices for targets. The seller knows if you cant get a deal with an English club you can always sell continental.

English clubs pay a premium because of the money in our game compared to abroad so it's in both parties interest to make a deal before our window shuts - any deal made after will be for less - same from the players perspective also - higher wages in England so they will be pushing for that move.

Tbf it was us that decide to close early.

Should have just kept it at en august
I have to disagree. We were screwed around time and again by losing players to PL rivals after the season started to the point of almost accepting that we write off August and start proper in Sept. Players going on strike and handing in a transfer request during pre-season is one thing but while you have important matches to play it completely disrupts the team.
Yes we can always lose a player internationally but we have a choice whether to sell or not.
And whilst I can see where you are coming from with losing out on a player and the selling club get a second bite of the cherry to sell cheaper in Europe. I don't actually think it will be that much of an issue as the selling club want to get the most money they can. You could argue that it could actually work in our favour forcing them to sell to us and even reduce their price to guarantee the riches of a PL team in case they don't get any better offer later.

I have to disagree. We were screwed around time and again by losing players to PL rivals after the season started to the point of almost accepting that we write off August and start proper in Sept. Players going on strike and handing in a transfer request during pre-season is one thing but while you have important matches to play it completely disrupts the team.
Yes we can always lose a player internationally but we have a choice whether to sell or not.
And whilst I can see where you are coming from with losing out on a player and the selling club get a second bite of the cherry to sell cheaper in Europe. I don't actually think it will be that much of an issue as the selling club want to get the most money they can. You could argue that it could actually work in our favour forcing them to sell to us and even reduce their price to guarantee the riches of a PL team in case they don't get any better offer later.

Players can strike deadline or not.

All the big 5 (except La Liga) made a big deal of saying how they wanted the window to close earlier, then proceeded to do fuck all to bring the windows in line.

If the deadline was 31st August we would not have Sessegnon or Lo Celso as Levy would still be negotiating and they would arrive on 31st August. It is up to us to say No unless we have sufficient cover.

In theory it was a nice idea, but our arrogance that everyone would tow the line with the EPL serves to bite us all in the ass.

Staggered windows would make buying hell... Esp. for leagues that start early (i.e. ours!).

Personally, from a UK perspective, I don't see what the prob is with having a couple of weeks to tweak things as the season unfolds... Esp. seeing as pre-season always throws a few injuries up as players aren't fully fit yet. On the flipside, nothings settled yet... Especially for bigger teams that have players that may be covetted on the continent.

Consider the last 2 years a failed experiment and just go back to how things were... There's no utopia to be found here.

The fucking league starts far too early, it fucked us last season with the WC lads not getting any pre-season and then having to wait 3 fucking weeks for the CL final...

All the big 5 (except La Liga) made a big deal of saying how they wanted the window to close earlier, then proceeded to do fuck all to bring the windows in line.

All a bit Brexit innit.... The goalposts have been moved. We need to have a second referendum.

Back
Top Bottom