Transfers that didn't happen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The transfer to Barca was in 2019, in 2018 he was very tempted to join Spurs according to himself, but eventually decided to stay at Ajax for one more season.

I had the impression the Barca deal was in the pipeline and part of the knock-back.... It was effectively a done deal before the summer 19 window even opened.

Yeh, I remember reading those comments before.... Not doutbting we caught his interest. My initial comments were slightly facetious.

Never any prospect of him coming the following summer (after his "one more year") as Barca had already turned his head.
No of course not, het was always going to join Barca in the summer of 2019, I was talking about 2018 when a move to Barca wasn't even an issue.

Sorry but I feel that this piece is absolutely pointless.

"Yees, Spurs scouted Mbappe but nearly missed out". FFS he was 16, was playing in CL, and had played in various France youth teams. There were most likely 50+ clubs that were scouting him and 10+ that might have "considered making an offer".

I am not saying that we have not made mistakes in past. Nor would I say I have been happy of our recruiting of past 5 years. We have made mistakes and our recruiting generally has been weak. But we are most likely currently keeping tabs on hundreds of players from age 15-22. Some of them will turn out to be biggest names in the game. Others are working in post offices before turning 25. Some have medicore careers in medicore teams.

But 5 years from now you can pick out 10 from this 100 that really cut it, and say that "oh maaan, we fucked up big time". What is the point of this? It has absolutely no meaning.

Some also felt the pursuit of bigger names such as Aubameyang and before then, Mkhitaryan were partly to give off the impression that Tottenham were serious about signing elite players when, in reality, the club’s financial restrictions made completing such deals extremely unlikely.
This is all we need to know.

Peacocking around acting like we're big league but ultimately signing none of the big names.

Who was the last, fully bonafide superstar we signed?
I'm struggling. We've made a few in Berbatov, Modric, Bale, Kane, Carrick etc, but we buy players other clubs don't. We don't sign world class players from rivals and we don't beat rivals to the players they want.
I'd go back to maybe Lineker, or Klinsmann as the last widely known about top class players we signed. No one was clamouring for Klinsmann either IIRC.

This is all we need to know.

Peacocking around acting like we're big league but ultimately signing none of the big names.

Who was the last, fully bonafide superstar we signed?
I'm struggling. We've made a few in Berbatov, Modric, Bale, Kane, Carrick etc, but we buy players other clubs don't. We don't sign world class players from rivals and we don't beat rivals to the players they want.
I'd go back to maybe Lineker, or Klinsmann as the last widely known about top class players we signed. No one was clamouring for Klinsmann either IIRC.

It's not "all we need to know" at all... The part you quoted is merely one theory attributed to an undefined group or individual's thought process....

It's not fact.... It's just a conspiracy theory that happens to gel with the chosen narrative of some.

The detail of each individual scenario is what "we need to know"

"We don't sign world class players from rivals"

Rather naive and ignorant of the landscape around us to expect us to do so...

How about - all fake DD transfers planted by ENIC in the media to show fans we had 'ambition'

I'll start (in ascending order)

- Damiao
- Aguero
- Moutinho
- Isco
- Dybala

100%. It’s happened to many times to not be the case. Levy pretends to go for player A:) ( Dybala for arguments sake ) and knows full well we won’t pay the amount to sign him and it won’t get accepted. We throw it out there so it looks like we are working hard on top quality players. This is a tactic Levy has done for years and he still pulls the wool over peoples eyes. Some of us though have figured out the fraud a long time ago. What’s this summers “big” player going to be ? Another merry go round failed attempt at a signing

It's not "all we need to know" at all... The part you quoted is merely one theory attributed to an undefined group or individual's thought process....

It's not fact.... It's just a conspiracy theory that happens to gel with the chosen narrative of some.

The detail of each individual scenario is what "we need to know"

"We don't sign world class players from rivals"

Rather naive and ignorant of the landscape around us to expect us to do so...
Shameless paid ENIC bot

100%. It’s happened to many times to not be the case. Levy pretends to go for player A:) ( Dybala for arguments sake ) and knows full well we won’t pay the amount to sign him and it won’t get accepted.

Dybala has been dissected several times (see yesterday in the trf thread for the most recent time). You're chosing to ignore the circumstances surrounding any potential deal.

We throw it out there so it looks like we are working hard on top quality players. This is a tactic Levy has done for years and he still pulls the wool over peoples eyes. Some of us though have figured out the fraud a long time ago. What’s this summers “big” player going to be ? Another merry go round failed attempt at a signing

Load of old paranoid crap tbh....

Isco - Fan fiction.
Damaio? LOL...

Regardless, look how many players get rumored to United, Barca, Chavs, RM, Woolwich or wherever.... Shit loads of these so called 'links' amount to nothing..... Or are they all indulging in similar hoaxes to dupe fans too?

Hack gets wind of an enquiry into a player and the rumour-mill kicks into overdrive cos the press & ITK twats gotta get paid...... You're obviously a sucker for clickbait. Still; your froth is cute.

:dawsonlol:

Last edited:
Dybala has been dissected several times (see yesterday in the trf thread for the most recent time). You're chosing to ignore the circumstances surrounding any potential deal.

Load of old paranoid crap tbh....

Isco - Fan fiction.
Damaio? LOL...

Regardless, look how many players get rumored to United, Barca, Chavs, RM, Woolwich or wherever.... Shit loads of these so called 'links' amount to nothing..... Or are they all indulging in similar hoaxes to due fans too?

Hack get's wind of an enquiry into a player and the rumour mill kicks into overdrive cos the press & ITK twats gotta get paid...... You're obviously a sucker for clickbait. Still; your froth is cute.

:dawsonlol:
The only frothing is happening in your basement right now, few meters away from your life size Levy wank doll

Back
Top Bottom