Transfers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So this is a critical time in the board's life, we aren't going to sign anyone in the next 2-3 weeks and we are moving dangerously close to mass cunt offs and binning in a scale that will require UN intervention.

But nothing brings the positives from this board like nostalgia and Brady in a double-digit participant coitus, so lets reminisce:

The happiest transfer you recall:
Modric made happy, so did Ginola and Defoe but VDV takes it. it was such a surprise and I remember reading it in Teamtalk getting all excited we signed someone in that caliber just like that.

The saddest transfer you recall:
Nick Barmby. We had a decent side in 1995 and Nick looked mustard (he was also a local boy), we just needed some twicking to the defence and we could have gone to greater heights. I don't recall talks of an imminent transfer but I remember opening the Israeli TV sport teletext and seeing the announcement and just going WTF. In hindsight I think that was the herald of our demise, 1996 was still decent and I had high hopes that Armstrong will be banging them but soon after we faded away until Jol.

The 'I knew he was going to flop'
There's actually so many for us over the years. Bent, Bentley, Les, Pav...the writing was on the wall. But Giovanni two saints was the clearest for me. people we're talking about how we were getting a new Messi and I remember telling everyone he'll be serving beers at the bricklayers within 3 years.

The 'I was shocked he flopped so hard'
Paulinho. fuck me, still think he was one of the worst the wear the shirt.

The 'why did we do it?
Saha. I couldn't bear reading the news for 2 days afterwards.

The 'one that got away'
Suarez and harry thinking that he wasn't a striker

The 'it was a dire state of affairs'
losing Carr to Newcastle was sort of a low point. we were so midtable I couldn't even see hope ahead for decades

The most exiting window
2004, I think we signed dozens of players. Every day was a thrill

The most depressing window
Bale

feel free to add categories

Modric, Eriksen, VDV, Lamela, Aldeweireld, Kranjcar, Dembele.

Sissoko, Llorente

Adebayor,

Soldado

The 'why did we do it?
Saha and Nelsen

Bullet dodged
Benteke

The 'one that got away'
Martial, Werner, Sane, Mane, Willian, Hazard.

The most exiting window

2016 and 2017.

A missed opportunity. We were in a position of strength and needed to heavily invest in the squad to take it into the next level. Instead we signed Janssen, Wanyama, Sissoko, Nkoudou, Llorente.

What a waste

Sissoko, Llorente

Adebayor,

Soldado

The 'why did we do it?
Saha and Nelsen

Bullet dodged
Benteke

The 'one that got away'

The most exiting window

2016 and 2017.

A missed opportunity. We were in a position of strength and needed to heavily invest in the squad to take it into the next level. Instead we signed Janssen, Wanyama, Sissoko, Nkoudou, Llorente.

What a waste

Wanyama was a very important player for us last season so that's a bit harsh.

Last year's summer window we signed Sanchez, strange you didn't mention him.

Also, Adebayor in his first season was far from a flop.

As per fuckingfuckin you're talking a lot of shite!

*usual

Fucking fucking fuck.

Limited player, was not exactly going to significantly improve the team.

We needed 5/6 Sanchez type of signings over the last 2 summer windows. Not Nkoudous and Llorentes.

Said I knew he was going to flop when we signed him permanently.

Yikes

How the hell has Klinsmann not been mentioned? Nothing comes remotely close to that and I suspect nothing will ( I remember the day vividly). The internet has ruined it in many ways because that really was a total surprise.

I'm old enough to remember Gazza. The hottest property in English football and he chose Spurs. Snubbed the likes of United too.
Legend.
I expect someone like Mick Cooper Mick Cooper can remember signing Greavsie. The first £100,000 player in England. Be nice for him to reminisce with us how it felt at the time.
Ossie and Ricky were fuck off massive too. World cup winners in Argentina who couldn't resist the pull of the illustrious Spurs.
We blazed a trail with those two alright.
We were very brave in days gone buy. Took big risks.
Audere est Facere

Last edited:
Ossie & Ricky were amazing signings. World Cup winners. It’s probably my fondest memory of signings, perhaps because I was 9 years old (was it really 40 years ago?) and had been captivated by the whole World Cup. I even completed the panini sticker book. It was unbelievable when my old man came into the house with the newspaper looking more excited by the back page than by page 3.

Sissoko, Llorente

Adebayor,

Soldado

The 'why did we do it?
Saha and Nelsen

Bullet dodged
Benteke

The 'one that got away'

The most exiting window

2016 and 2017.

What a waste
I didn't think Adebayor was that bad for us....
:adeohshit:

I'm old enough to remember Gazza. The hottest property in English football and he chose Spurs. Snubbed the likes of United too.
Legend.

Do you remember that TV programme Danny Baker made about him at the time?

Van Der Vaart is another one who should of got a mention. That was some Levy magic.

As for bullet dodged: what about Berahino? Never recovered from that did he. I often wonder what he would've been like for us.

Legend.
I expect someone like Mick Cooper Mick Cooper can remember signing Greavsie. The first £100,000 player in England. Be nice for him to reminisce with us how it felt at the time.
Ossie and Ricky were fuck off massive too. World cup winners in Argentina who couldn't resist the pull of the illustrious Spurs.
Audere est Facere
Yeah , remember it like it was yesterday
I was 3

The 'it was a dire state of affairs'
Harry's head being turned by England. Saggy-chopped prick
Haha, you mean you were offended because, in his opinion, as a manager - managing your country was the pinnacle of his profession. You were outraged that he didn't tear his shirt open and carve a cockerel on his chest and pledge undying devotion to the cause!
Personally I'm just immensely grateful for him bringing back the joy of watching scintillating football at the Lane, producing a team that could compete and challenge for the top places and not be an embarrassment.
Give the guy credit for what he did for us, instead of being a small minded ingrate because the guy was candid enough to tell the truth.
Did he leave, did he get the job?
No he didn't, did he?

Haha, you mean you were offended because, in his opinion, as a manager - managing your country was the pinnacle of his profession. You were outraged that he didn't tear his shirt open and carve a cockerel on his chest and pledge undying devotion to the cause!
Personally I'm just immensely grateful for him bringing back the joy of watching scintillating football at the Lane, producing a team that could compete and challenge for the top places and not be an embarrassment.
Give the guy credit for what he did for us, instead of being a small minded ingrate because the guy was candid enough to tell the truth.
Did he leave, did he get the job?
No he didn't, did he?

Whoa there, I think you are being a tad revionist. "Arry didn't just humbly mutter it would be an honour when pressed by pack of journos, he launched a campaign thinking the popular support would bounce the FA into picking him. I have a soft spot for "Arry but that was embarrassing for him and the club. Also I read his autobiography and it makes me very confident he wanted Eriksson wages for a part time job.

How the hell has Klinsmann not been mentioned? Nothing comes remotely close to that and I suspect nothing will ( I remember the day vividly). The internet has ruined it in many ways because that really was a total surprise.

This was the big transfer. No signing since has come close to the waves signing Jürgen made.

Spurs were playing a friendly at Bristol city the night before he signed ( never been so pumped for a pre season friendly!!) Anyway rumours were going around about us signing Jürgen, after the match in the pub was telling everyone the rumours and getting the usual responses......then next day there's Alan shaking hands on the deal.

Legend.
Audere est Facere

I was also going to say Gazza. I can remember picking up the paper that morning and was so chuffed he chose us over United. It was Venables that persuaded him to come. And of course he was absolute mustard.

Back
Top Bottom