Transfers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whoa there, I think you are being a tad revionist. "Arry didn't just humbly mutter it would be an honour when pressed by pack of journos, he launched a campaign thinking the popular support would bounce the FA into picking him. I have a soft spot for "Arry but that was embarrassing for him and the club. Also I read his autobiography and it makes me very confident he wanted Eriksson wages for a part time job.

Launched a campaign.......

and you call me revisionist! :):)

The guys never been shy of self promotion and at the time he was managing a high flying "hot" team. He answered honestly when asked if he would like the job.

We only ask one thing of the people charged with the future of our club and that is candour. When we get it, we launch into hate campaigns. (Danny Rose, anyone?)

You can't have your cake and eat it, etc

The guys never been shy of self promotion and at the time he was managing a high flying "hot" team. He answered honestly when asked if he would like the job.

We only ask one thing of the people charged with the future of our club and that is candour. When we get it, we launch into hate campaigns. (Danny Rose, anyone?)

I think I’d ask for loyalty rather than candour or, as I prefer to call it, slack jawed shoulder rubbing with the media.

Happiest transfer
Ossie and Ricky, Gazza, Waddle, Lineker

Saddest transfer (out)
Hoddle, Gazza

Biggest flop
Pavlyuchenko EDIT: Meant Rebrov
Scored shit loads with Moscow, although along with the other cunt, but fucking useless for us.

One added category
Thank fuck he signed:
Martin Peters, otherwise I would have been a Spam as my older brother was Spam due to Peters, when they did the swap deal with Greaves, my brother swapped to Spurs along with him.
So I'll say it again.
THANK FUCK FOR THAT

Last edited:
I'm old enough to remember Gazza. The hottest property in English football and he chose Spurs. Snubbed the likes of United too.
Legend.
I expect someone like Mick Cooper Mick Cooper can remember signing Greavsie. The first £100,000 player in England. Be nice for him to reminisce with us how it felt at the time.
Ossie and Ricky were fuck off massive too. World cup winners in Argentina who couldn't resist the pull of the illustrious Spurs.
We blazed a trail with those two alright.
We were very brave in days gone buy. Took big risks.
Audere est Facere

I remember Greavsie signing and the late GREAT Billy Nic ensured that he wasn’t the first £100k signing so as not to put too much pressure on him
We got him for roughly £99k and was supposed to be the final piece in the jigsaw for our assault on the European Cup
Sadly not to be

What value now for Greavsie?
Our best ever striker

The first transfer I remember happening was Sheringham. Read that he was amazing in Shoot magazine I think so it was a thrill. He did not disappoint in the slightest.

Also remember he went to the top of the goal scorer charts that first season.

I remember Greavsie signing and the late GREAT Billy Nic ensured that he wasn’t the first £100k signing so as not to put too much pressure on him
We got him for roughly £99k and was supposed to be the final piece in the jigsaw for our assault on the European Cup
Sadly not to be

What value now for Greavsie?
Our best ever striker
Not much Baz, he's in a wheelchair

Happiest transfer
Ossie and Ricky, Gazza, Waddle, Lineker

Saddest transfer (out)
Hoddle, Gazza

Biggest flop
Pavlyuchenko
Scored shit loads with Moscow, although along with the other cunt, but fucking useless for us.

One added category
Thank fuck he signed:
Martin Peters, otherwise I would have been a Spam as my older brother was Spam due to Peters, when they did the swap deal with Greaves, my brother swapped to Spurs along with him.
So I'll say it again.
THANK FUCK FOR THAT
Did you mean Rebrov rather than Pav?

I guess my recollection differ from yours and I might be wrong but I recall he seemed to comment on his desire for the England job way more than was necessary, in tabloid terms it was the proverbial "Come and get me plea."

I guess my recollection differ from yours and I might be wrong but I recall he seemed to comment on his desire for the England job way more than was necessary, in tabloid terms it was the proverbial "Come and get me plea."
Oh yes, the tabloids ramped the whole thing up.
Like I say though, I'd shake his hand and thank him for putting the style and the smile back into the club

So this is a critical time in the board's life, we aren't going to sign anyone in the next 2-3 weeks and we are moving dangerously close to mass cunt offs and binning in a scale that will require UN intervention.

But nothing brings the positives from this board like nostalgia and Brady in a double-digit participant coitus, so lets reminisce:

The happiest transfer you recall:
Modric made happy, so did Ginola and Defoe but VDV takes it. it was such a surprise and I remember reading it in Teamtalk getting all excited we signed someone in that caliber just like that.

The saddest transfer you recall:
Nick Barmby. We had a decent side in 1995 and Nick looked mustard (he was also a local boy), we just needed some twicking to the defence and we could have gone to greater heights. I don't recall talks of an imminent transfer but I remember opening the Israeli TV sport teletext and seeing the announcement and just going WTF. In hindsight I think that was the herald of our demise, 1996 was still decent and I had high hopes that Armstrong will be banging them but soon after we faded away until Jol.

The 'I knew he was going to flop'
There's actually so many for us over the years. Bent, Bentley, Les, Pav...the writing was on the wall. But Giovanni two saints was the clearest for me. people we're talking about how we were getting a new Messi and I remember telling everyone he'll be serving beers at the bricklayers within 3 years.

The 'I was shocked he flopped so hard'
Paulinho. fuck me, still think he was one of the worst the wear the shirt.

The 'why did we do it?
Saha. I couldn't bear reading the news for 2 days afterwards.

The 'one that got away'
Suarez and harry thinking that he wasn't a striker

The 'it was a dire state of affairs'
losing Carr to Newcastle was sort of a low point. we were so midtable I couldn't even see hope ahead for decades

The most exiting window
2004, I think we signed dozens of players. Every day was a thrill

The most depressing window
Bale

feel free to add categories

Happies:
Lloris, VDV, Soldado, Paulinho, Sanchez

Furious:
Campbell, Sheringham, Carrick, Berbatov

Kinda Sads, but I guess it was needed:
Mason, Chadli, Paulinho, Soldado, Huddlestone, Livermore, Sandro, Gomes, Kranjcar + Corluka, Carroll, Naughton +++

Knew flop:
GKN, Chiriches

Shock flop:
Paulinho (poor management, unluck and harsh crowd), Soldado

Why?!
Nelsen and Saha

Got away:
Hazard (kinda glad he did though, the abslute bellend)

Dire staits:
Everything from early 90s to Redknapp.

Most exciting:
The Bale-exit window

Back
Top Bottom