Troy Parrott

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ask Leicester and Norwich fans what their impression of Kane was...

Not saying he's going to be a world-beater but give the kid a chance.
I don't really fall on either side of this view, but Kane is an extreme outlier. I don't know if Troy has Kane's mentality.

“I had a really good chat with Troy after all the stories were out there that he was maybe going to go back to Tottenham. We had a really good open chat.

“What struck me was, we have to remember Troy is only 18. He’s a young player who’s got a lot of things to learn to get to where he wants to get to in his career, and we’re here to help him. That was our commitment at the start of the season. What you’ve seen in the last couple of games is a young player recognising what he’s got to do to play regularly, what he’s got to do within those games to get chances.

“The rest will take care of itself, if his attitude is right and he does the right things. In the last two or three games you’ve seen a really strong and mature response from Troy and he’ll get his rewards, because we know he’s got the talent. I’ve been really impressed with the way he’s dealt with the recent situation.”

Troy was an unused sub in Milwall's 1-0 away win tonight. Even though both front men in a 4-4-2 were given a rest with 15 to go..

I get a feeling that it's not his talent that is in question, but his attitude?

It's a good question; he's only played 600 minutes for us across 11 matches which is a small sample size by anyone's standards. He has a huge reputation and hype though which may be difficult for him to live up to. Every away match the commentators (in Championship away matches are commentated by the home team so a new set of commentators every away match) have said Parrott's name, followed by he's a huge talent or something along those lines.

Posting photos alongside the son of an infamous Irish criminal family doesn't send out positive signals, or doesn't project the image of someone who is focused and determined to achieve.

His biggest problem at the moment, which he needs to figure out, is how to have an impact on the match from the left side of a front 3. The only side in the top leagues I can think off that play with 2 up front on a regular basis is Burnley. I feel that Parrott would find things easier in a classic 4-4-2, where we would only have to focus on trying to get in the box.

Parrott isn't experienced enough, physical enough (yet), or quick enough (to run in behind) to play upfront by himself in the Championship. Championship defenders are a lot tougher than youth football defenders. He's shown good close control at times, and able to pass the ball off, but other times will lose it.

Playing out on the left doesn't seem to be working for him either, as he's defensively suspect in closing down the lanes properly, and the other defensive side of the game. He's also not a left winger in the attacking sense, I don't think he thought he would be playing out on the left wing when he arrived, but the 3 games he has started up front we've been smashed/looked back.

His age has been cited, and to give him more time, but at this level, every youngster who had star potential tore the Championship up, Ashley Young, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Aaron Lennon, Harvey Elliot, Tammy Abraham, Fabian Delph, Kane, Townsend, Carroll, Sessegnon etc etc, All of them 17/18 years old in the Championship took the piss at times, and many matches were the stand out players. I still think he has the chances to go onto have a decent career and possible become a good Premiership striker, but he hasn't shown any star potential. The problem is for Tottenham and Parrott, is that it's no longer 96/97 and a good Premiership striker is lower than what Tottenham are aiming for.

I don't think he is 100% fit either but then that is true for nearly everyone in our side this season, it's been relentless with games every 3/4 days.
He is consistently being selected so I doubt that.
I haven't watched a single minute of him playing for Millwall but I may watch their cup game if he is selected.

He should be selected, I think a lot of rotation will happen for both sides this weekend and be more of an exhibition match rather than full on competitive. Our performance against Huddersfield were two tired teams.

Troy was an unused sub in Milwall's 1-0 away win tonight. Even though both front men in a 4-4-2 were given a rest with 15 to go..

I think that was more to do with the game situation than Parrott. We were firmly sitting back Jose Mourinho style at that point and bought on players with experience on holding on for a much needed 3 points.

Last edited:
I get a feeling that it's not his talent that is in question, but his attitude?

Totally a maturity thing. If the Millwall manager has come out and said what he said, it’s a maturity and attitude thing. Otherwise, he wouldn’t be on the bench at Millwall vs playing. There’s no doubt he has quality and talent, but if he’s not able to get playing minutes at Millwall, it’s pretty telling that he’s got stuff to work on.

Sadly, history is littered with many highly talented teens who never came close to fufilling their potential, talk less of living up to the hype.

Kid needs to get his head right and work hard on his game. The successful ones dont only have talent, but also put in the needed hard work.

Sadly, history is littered with many highly talented teens who never came close to fufilling their potential, talk less of living up to the hype.

Kid needs to get his head right and work hard on his game. The successful ones dont only have talent, but also put in the needed hard work.
History is littered with fans over rating kids from their youth teams.
Quite simply put, until they play first team football, no one knows how good they really are.

History is littered with fans over rating kids from their youth teams.
Quite simply put, until they play first team football, no one knows how good they really are.
Its not just fans, even top managers and scouts are guilty, and playing first team football is not enough.

Renato Sanches, Bojan Krkic, Royston Drenthe, Lars Ricken, Adnan Januzaj, etc

He starts in the cup game against Bristol City; it's a stronger side than I would have liked, but at least some of our main players are getting a rest.

The internet is saying Parrott is playing midfield to suit our 5-2-3 formation, but with the players we have it looks more like a 4-2-3-1 formation. Parrott will be in the 3, I feel because Bennett likes to play out on the left; Parrott will be in the AMC role and more central, and at times pushed up to be the second striker. Zohore will be our main focal point upfront, big lad with good technical ability but lazy, on loan from WBA who bought him for £10million, so he'll have some quality around him.

When we played Bristol City in the league in December, they were one of the worse teams we've played this year. We didn't even have to do much to win 2-0 in that game, they are plagued with injuries and haven't named their strongest side either.

EDIT: 20 minutes in, and we're playing as close to a 4-4-2 as I've seen in a while with Parrott alongside up top. He's been involved, in the play and we're generally on top. If he's going to open his account you feel that todays game is as good as chance as any. Would be interesting if any Spurs fans are watching to give their view on how he is doing.

Last edited:
He starts in the cup game against Bristol City; it's a stronger side than I would have liked, but at least some of our main players are getting a rest.

The internet is saying Parrott is playing midfield to suit our 5-2-3 formation, but with the players we have it looks more like a 4-2-3-1 formation. Parrott will be in the 3, I feel because Bennett likes to play out on the left; Parrott will be in the AMC role and more central, and at times pushed up to be the second striker. Zohore will be our main focal point upfront, big lad with good technical ability but lazy, on loan from WBA who bought him for £10million, so he'll have some quality around him.

When we played Bristol City in the league in December, they were one of the worse teams we've played this year. We didn't even have to do much to win 2-0 in that game, they are plagued with injuries and haven't named their strongest side either.

EDIT: 20 minutes in, and we're playing as close to a 4-4-2 as I've seen in a while with Parrott alongside up top. He's been involved, in the play and we're generally on top. If he's going to open his account you feel that todays game is as good as chance as any. Would be interesting if any Spurs fans are watching to give their view on how he is doing.
One or two nice touches but otherwise pretty average. Doesn’t seem to have much spark about him, understandable I suppose. Needs something to drop for him.

One or two nice touches but otherwise pretty average. Doesn’t seem to have much spark about him, understandable I suppose. Needs something to drop for him.

Sums up every player in our team really, we're losing 2-0, the scoreline flatters Bristol City, but at the same time we haven't created anything to justify being in front.

Average is the problem, when you get a youngster on loan from a team above you; you're expecting them to have moments of magic, Harvey Elliot (I've used him a lot in this thread) being the main example for this year at Blackburn, look on YouTube and you can see how at 17 years old, he takes the piss out of the Championship players with his ability. He looks like a future England player and will push for Liverpool next year.

If Parrott was a Millwall youngster, I would be saying that he needs to go on loan to League One/Two for more experience and then maybe when he's 21/22 he will be a prolific striker in the Championship and we could flog him to Brighton/Burnley/Palace for £10million at some point to make a profit.

He did try today and put in the effort today, he just lacks game awareness, and at times quality. He's coming off after 62 minutes with no real note of impact on the game. It comes to a point where we ask if it's a case of him needing something to drop for him or that he's out of his depth. 660 minutes of Football now for Parrott at this level; and you'd struggle to put a youtube video together lasting longer than 10 seconds showcasing his abilities.

We could have an interesting discussion whether just scoring goals at youth level is a good indicator of potential, and if all he was doing was banging in goals in the penalty box, was this because he was more physically developed than other players or because he had ability? Then the clubs need to talk about how do you develop a striker who is showing signs of being better than everyone else just because of early development?

I remember Cherno Samba scoring 90 odd goals in 30 matches at youth level because he was 6ft3 while everyone else was 5ft8/5ft9. He didn't turn out too well.

Just tactically.

They don't play great football from what I've seen.

Parrott needs the ball at his feet.
So, Norwich then?
it’s a fair call, I haven’t seen Millwall play at all this year but for players who are physically not as strong as others, the championship is a great league to grow up in.

no homesickness either, as still a London club.

Just tactically.

They don't play great football from what I've seen.

Parrott needs the ball at his feet.

I feel like this is good defence mechanism for Spurs fans that don't want to admit the truth, and would rather lay the blame elsewhere, classic human behaviour.

We finished 8th last season and missed out on play-offs due to 1 point I think? We have one of the most dangerous attackers in the league (Jed Wallace), who scored 10 goals, had 10 assists last season. Opposition fans always comment on him being one of the best players in the league and Aston Villa nearly bought him last year for £10million.

We have other strikers such as Bradshaw, Bodvarsson, Smith who are also getting chances in matches due to their game awareness to get into the positions (but not scoring them). Our team is full of Championship standard players. Bennett, Smith, Bodvarsson, Woods all have carved out long careers in the Championship. He's not playing with complete shit here.

Saying Parrott needs the ball at his feet is so simplistic, as it is to blame it on Millwall (us) being shit. It's also funny because he's probably the one player in our side at the moment who you expect to mis-control it when it does come to his feet.
Did you not watch today's game when he mis-controlled it at various times and the attack broke down? Did you not watch him pass the ball out of play under no pressure when the person he was passing to was standing 5 yards away from him in the 2nd minute leading to our attack breaking down?
Did you not see him get the ball in the box under no pressure, where he could have passed it out wide for our attacker, instead he shot on the turn not taking the optimal solution.
Did you not see him fail to see what would happen in a move, and not recognise the space to run into, hence when the pass came into that space, he was left standing still and our attack broke down?

This is professional football, the idea that the reason why Parrott isn't being successful because we aren't creating golden opportunities for him on a regular basis is amusing. I could score 15/20 goals a season if I played in a team where the ball was falling at my feet 2 times every match 8 yards from goal. His movement, awareness, build up play is the reason why he isn't getting into these positions. Not because of the players around him. Even today; a ball came in from Bradshaw into the central area, and no one was in the centre challenging for it, he didn't recognise the build up play and what was happening to make the move to the box.

The idea that he would start at Norwich is laughable. Teemu Pukki is an international striker, why would they take Parrott over him?

I feel like this is good defence mechanism for Spurs fans that don't want to admit the truth, and would rather lay the blame elsewhere, classic human behaviour.

We finished 8th last season and missed out on play-offs due to 1 point I think? We have one of the most dangerous attackers in the league (Jed Wallace), who scored 10 goals, had 10 assists last season. Opposition fans always comment on him being one of the best players in the league and Aston Villa nearly bought him last year for £10million.

We have other strikers such as Bradshaw, Bodvarsson, Smith who are also getting chances in matches due to their game awareness to get into the positions (but not scoring them).

Saying Parrott needs the ball at his feet is so simplistic, as it is to blame it on Millwall (us) being shit. It's also funny because he's probably the one player in our side at the moment who you expect to mis-control it when it does come to his feet.
Did you not watch today's game when he mis-controlled it at various times and the attack broke down? Did you not watch him pass the ball out of play under no pressure when the person he was passing to was standing 5 yards away from him in the 2nd minute leading to our attack breaking down?
Did you not see him get the ball in the box under no pressure, where he could have passed it out wide for our attacker, instead he shot on the turn not taking the optimal solution.
Did you not see him fail to see what would happen in a move, and not recognise the space to run into, hence when the pass came into that space, he was left standing still and our attack broke down?

This is professional football, the idea that the reason why Parrott isn't being successful because we aren't creating golden opportunities for him on a regular basis is amusing. I could score 15/20 goals a season if I played in a team where the ball was falling at my feet 2 times every match 8 yards from goal. His movement, awareness, build up play is the reason why he isn't getting into these positions. Not because of the players around him. Even today; a ball came in from Bradshaw into the central area, and no one was in the centre challenging for it, he didn't recognise the build up play and what was happening to make the move to the box.
There's a lot of 'last season' in that post. Which is the point.

This isn't last season.

You have to adapt and progress.

Back
Top Bottom