UCL Matchday 5 - Olympiacos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Win or draw, just make sure we qualify from here and avoid making the Bayern game crucial. Screw having an important game with Lewandowski on the other side.

Seeing some of the comments, I don’t agree with experimenting with this game. It’s Mourinho’s first home game and a win guarantees progression from the group. Just get it done, get a win under our belt and start getting some momentum under our belt. 5 games to Chelsea with a 9 point difference. Need to have the wing under our sails for that very important game and the only way to do that is to get them winning games.

COYS!

Won't get carried away. More of the same would be welcome with minimal changes, though physically we took a right battering on Sat.

LB is a worry... Rose picked up a knock as well as Ben. JV is still out too.

CM poses a question with regards to Dier + whom (winks, Nd or GLC)?

Otherwise I'd expect and hope for the same.

Win or draw, just make sure we qualify from here and avoid making the Bayern game crucial. Screw having an important game with Lewandowski on the other side.

A draw isn't enough. We need 2 points (thanks to a massively superior GD).

No
We win, we qualify.

Mourinho’s first home game, and I hope he gets the reception he deserves. We need to be as loud as we can and cheer on him and the team.

Gazzaniga
Aurier - Sanchez - Alderweireld - Davies
Dier - Winks
Lucas - Dele - Son
Kane​

No changes. Time for some consistency. Only change, if any, may be Ndombele back in.
No Gio?

Looking forward to this, and would be good to confirm our progression to the knockout stage on the night. I don't want to have to depend on getting a result in Munich (although we did OK against Barca last year).
I definitely don't want to drop down to the Europa.

Looking forward to this, and would be good to confirm our progression to the knockout stage on the night. I don't want to have to depend on getting a result in Munich (although we did OK against Barca last year).
I definitely don't want to drop down to the Europa.

Of course, I wanna progress to the knockouts, but if it comes to it I think we should be all over it.... We have players that need game time and we've enough quality to win it..... Boom; trophy & CL qualification.

Last edited:
Of course, I wanna progress to the knockouts, but if it comes to it I think we should be all over it.... We have players that need game time and we've enough quality to win it..... Boom trophy & CL qualification.
Fair enough, but I still would rather win the trophy with the Big Ears :)

A draw isn't enough. We need 2 points (thanks to a massively superior GD).

Draw is enough as long as Red Star don't beat Bayern. If everyone draws tomorrow we have a four point lead going to the last day, we're through.

We only need to win if Red Star beat Bayern at the same time.

Draw is enough as long as Red Star don't beat Bayern. If everyone draws tomorrow we have a four point lead going to the last day, we're through.

We only need to win if Red Star beat Bayern at the same time.

Ah, yeh.... Just talking based on points a available.

Smash em and get it done ourselves IMO.

Last edited:
As said previously, just win and qualify.

Olympiacos are better than red star. So will put up more of a fight so no rotation for this.

Gazza
Foyth Toby Sanchez Sess
Dier Winks
Lucas Alli Son
Kane

Is our best/easiest chance of securing Champions League football next season through the Europa league now?

Throw the next 2 games, and hope Olympiakos beat Red Star for a cushy 3rd place.

I honestly think Mourinho could get us beyond Gent / Genk - whoever the fuck it was, and do what he managed with United.

There's more chance of Olympiakos beating Red Star than there is hoping Chelsea and Leicester suddenly start dropping loads of points while we relentlessly win.

Chirpy
KWP Tanganga Wanyama Rose
Sissoko Skipp
Pochettino Lilly Sessegnon
Parrott

Ok I'm fucking around - but that would serve us better for the summer window than finishing 5th with a plucky Champions League knock out rounds exit.

For the first time in a while, I think this will be a big scoring win. 4 or 5 easily. As in the first time I'm confident of that.
Forget the away leg, we were carrying Eriksen for 90 minutes in that match, it was the first one where it became painfully obvious he was a gonner.
With no Eriksen, sensible tactics, players back to playing properly, I think we'll wipe the floor with them.

Their only point is from their home game with us, they got beaten by Red Star who we scored NINE against in 2 games.

The thought of qualifying with this game and not having to go away to Bayern (possibly led out by Poch) is motivation enough.
If Poch does end up at Bayern, I don't think he would take over until after that match. Would be so nice to get a draw at least, if only to show them the team they played before has disappeared.

Olympiacos only have 1 point and really we should win or else our chances in the next round are poor. I think it is more important to keep the same side for Saturday and with MU the following week it might be a bit much to play the same 11 in all 4 games. This is the easiest and I would make a few changes Rose, Foyth, Ndombele all coming in and maybe switch Son to the right and play Sess instead of Moura. Would like to see Lo Celso at some stage.
Any word of Nd's fitness?

People keep putting Ndombele in their starting 11....
He was definitely injured against Sheffield United and, if he wasn't ready Saturday after 2 weeks off, he definitely won't be ready tomorrow.

Strongest team possible, maybe the same, barring Davies, as on Saturday. Get some early goals, and then start rotating some players around half-time to the 60th minute.

That way, we secure qualification. That way, we can rotate big time, in the match vs. Bayern.

Back
Top Bottom