UCL Matchday 5 - Olympiacos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Gatsby

95:02
We win, we qualify.

Mourinho’s first home game, and I hope he gets the reception he deserves. We need to be as loud as we can and cheer on him and the team.

Gazzaniga
Aurier - Sanchez - Alderweireld - Davies
Dier - Winks
Lucas - Dele - Son
Kane​

No changes. Time for some consistency. Only change, if any, may be Ndombele back in.

This is a game we would have expected to win at the start of the campaign. There's no reason to perceive it any differently now. Looking forward to this.

I think it’ll be Rose at left back as Davies looked like he was in a bit of pain when he was leaving the field after being subbed.

Let‘s do this and take the pressure off the Bayern match, especially if Poch really ends up there :levyeyes:

Unless there are forced changes, I’d play the same team. I want Ndombele and Lo Celso to prove their capabilities but their time will come.

As for the result, 2-0. I hope we don’t underestimate them and get the job done.

I think it’ll be Rose at left back as Davies looked like he was in a bit of pain when he was leaving the field after being subbed.

Let‘s do this and take the pressure off the Bayern match, especially if Poch really ends up there :levyeyes:
If Rose starts I’d expect to see Foyth on the right being the third in the hybrid back 3 with Rose getting forward.

If Rose starts I’d expect to see Foyth on the right being the third in the hybrid back 3 with Rose getting forward.
On BT yesterday, Glenn noticed that in possession we had a de facto back three, with Davies slotting in as a centre back and Aurier getting further forward.

Defensively I think he'll stick with a back 4. So if, as you say, Rose is given licence to go further forward, that would suggest a more defensively-minded right back, maybe Foyth. Post-match, José mentioned that some internationals didn't get back till Friday, you would assume they were Lo Celso and Juanito, but they'll both be fully recovered for Tuesday night

Be nice if there was something of a celebration for all that is THFC now: the players, Poch, and the other bloke. Should be a straightforward win. I’m sure we’ll be up for it. We played very well agains Red Star so I’d expect more of the same.

For the first time in a while, I think this will be a big scoring win. 4 or 5 easily. As in the first time I'm confident of that.
Forget the away leg, we were carrying Eriksen for 90 minutes in that match, it was the first one where it became painfully obvious he was a gonner.
With no Eriksen, sensible tactics, players back to playing properly, I think we'll wipe the floor with them.

Their only point is from their home game with us, they got beaten by Red Star who we scored NINE against in 2 games.

The thought of qualifying with this game and not having to go away to Bayern (possibly led out by Poch) is motivation enough.

On BT yesterday, Glenn noticed that in possession we had a de facto back three, with Davies slotting in as a centre back and Aurier getting further forward.

Defensively I think he'll stick with a back 4. So if, as you say, Rose is given licence to go further forward, that would suggest a more defensively-minded right back, maybe Foyth. Post-match, José mentioned that some internationals didn't get back till Friday, you would assume they were Lo Celso and Juanito, but they'll both be fully recovered for Tuesday night
I think Mou’s defensive tactics will help our average backline. We have more than enough goals going forward with our front 4, and the width is now provided by the wingers (and one fullback). With a true DM, we will have more natural defensive cover, which allows more direct vertical passing between the lines.

Have the back five focused on defense, more or less, with Ndombele/Lo Celso/Winks help transition as the 8.

A win will be important for the confidence of the team and the atmosphere in the stadium but a draw should be enough to qualify. Bayern look like they are back to just roll over the opposition (3.0 up yesterday after 35min) they should win easily against red star

Looking forward to this.

CL is the main thing for me this season. Going to really enjoy it and make the most of it.

Might be a season or two until we're back so we should go absolutely all in.

Question is whether Rose has still got it going forward.

If we are going to have a roaming LB or RB, depending on the game, it could actually suit Sess - he gets to move forward in possession but has to drop into a 4 when we're not. If we had a situation where he could overlap with Son and they learn to cover one another, would make us a real threat.

I actually quite like the idea of trying Sess and Foyth in a very similar role to what we saw yesterday. Foyth will do what Davies did yesterday, stay in the back three when we are pressed up, and Sess could bomb forward like Aurier was.

Maybe Sess is still a bit too green but would be fun to see/try. Maybe something like...

Foyth-Sanchez-Toby-Sessegnon
----------Dier-Ndombele----------
--------Lo Celso-Dele-Son--------
----------------Kane-----------------

Maybe that's more changes than people would like to see but I really think that could end up being our best XI by the end of the year.

Looking forward to this.

CL is the main thing for me this season. Going to really enjoy it and make the most of it.

Might be a season or two until we're back so we should go absolutely all in.
Love this thinking.

It can sometimes get lost that the race for top 4 is all about making it so we can participate in the tournament and build great memories.

Olympiacos only have 1 point and really we should win or else our chances in the next round are poor. I think it is more important to keep the same side for Saturday and with MU the following week it might be a bit much to play the same 11 in all 4 games. This is the easiest and I would make a few changes Rose, Foyth, Ndombele all coming in and maybe switch Son to the right and play Sess instead of Moura. Would like to see Lo Celso at some stage.

Back
Top Bottom