UCL Matchday 5 - Olympiacos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree and I'm clearly playing devil's advocate to some degree as it's really early days.

I'm on record that I'm really nervous of Jose appointment long term but conversely excited for the short term (this season). Which has me conflicted on many different levels of his appointment.

The bottom line for me is we are still a very flawed team, mainly because of our CM/DM combinations and this is what Jose needs to address if we are to get any better. It's a worry that he's singled out Dier as his man but is it good that he hooks him after 30mins???? Is he still going to select him because he's proclaimed his love for him??? Does this now mean that Sissoko plays on the right when he comes on???

I do love that the vibe is better right now, these are better working conditions for the players to operate in but all the flaws are still there and Jose could be pinning his hat on the wrong man to provide the solution. (Yes, way, way too early but I've got nothing else to base on other than the two games played).

All things I've pretty much said myself in the last few days. Wasn't my choice for manager, way to early to start sucking each other off, no manager worth a wank is going to instil anything meaningful in 3 days, and there's a fuck load of shit to straighten out on and off the pitch, and some of it major shit, like getting in a good DOF and restructuring the set up completely.

But the more I think about it, the more I think getting in someone with the strong character and emotional strength (something Poch seemed very short of lately) of Mourinho was a good choice for the mess we have in the dressing room right now, someone who can at least command the respect of a bunch of confused, disenfranchised and demotivated players.

srgKAx6.png

Just out of shot, cretinousgoat cretinousgoat looks concerned as Mick Copper leans in and asks him "you ever seen a grown man naked" at the latest TFC game meet up.

All things I've pretty much said myself in the last few days. Wasn't my choice for manager, way to early to start sucking each other off, no manager worth a wank is going to instil anything meaningful in 3 days, and there's a fuck load of shit to straighten out on and off the pitch, and some of it major shit, like getting in a good DOF and restructuring the set up completely.

But the more I think about it, the more I think getting in someone with the strong character and emotional strength (something Poch seemed very short of lately) of Mourinho was a good choice for the mess we have in the dressing room right now, someone who can at least command the respect of a bunch of confused, disenfranchised and demotivated players.
Yep agree although I'm still totally in the dark as to the specific motivation issues. Is it our experienced players Rose, Toby and Jan (Eriksen) who were causing the issues. Reading between the lines it would appear that it probably wasn't Kane or Dele and almost certainly not Lloris given his public comments on being wedded to Poch.

ASSUMING it was these three (4), is there anything wrong to say we should be not renewing these players contracts given their age (and Rose's braking the ranks TWICE) and desire of Eriksen to move? Or do we now look to them as great options for us to build from here on out?

I haven't got a fucking clue about this lot, other than we still have a central midfield that is not functioning as an elite midfield.

Yep agree although I'm still totally in the dark as to the specific motivation issues. Is it our experienced players Rose, Toby and Jan (Eriksen) who were causing the issues. Reading between the lines it would appear that it probably wasn't Kane or Dele and almost certainly not Lloris given his public comments on being wedded to Poch.

ASSUMING it was these three (4), is there anything wrong to say we should be not renewing these players contracts given their age (and Rose's braking the ranks TWICE) and desire of Eriksen to move? Or do we now look to them as great options for us to build from here on out?

I haven't got a fucking clue about this lot, other than we still have a central midfield that is not functioning as an elite midfield.

Apart from a few individual issues, Rose etc, I think there was a general demotivation of the group as a whole, which in part is understandable from a group that's been listening to the same message for 5 years - and that message has become somewhat confused and diluted the last 18 months as well.

Apart from a few individual issues, Rose etc, I think there was a general demotivation of the group as a whole, which in part is understandable from a group that's been listening to the same message for 5 years - and that message has become somewhat confused and diluted the last 18 months as well.
Hearing the same message thing is 100% what I can get on board with, especially when it is as high intensity as we have all been told (training and analysis).

I am more sceptical on actual player decent (excluding Rose) but will be interested to see in the fullness of time.

It does beg the question whether Jose is the answer though, yes he's a new voice = Tick. But everything we know about him is that he is just as in your face, just as demanding (maybe not in the form of training intensity) and if he doesn't like you you are fucked.

Maybe just short term, which is perhaps all we need from them - it won't make Rose a good footballer/defender though, he's not a miracle worker.
And this is where I’m currently at, short term. I can’t see beyond this season.
Let’s hop Sess can provide something answers, with Davies injured this position is as much as an issue as our fix required in central midfield.

Not being helped by Poch‘a comments about leaving prior to the CL final

The essential right now is to pull the squad through this season - and assuming it's the disaffected 4 who are the big problem, bringing in one of the top managers in . the world ( who is also hard nosed ) has to be the way to go as there is no way that they cannot respect him and his medal haul.

At the end of the season 3 or more will either be out of the door or have signed up for another contract ( if Spurs think we want to give them another contract )

Hopefully the change of manager and routines will be enough to take us through to CL qualification next season via Top 4 or even winning CL.

The bit I don't really know about JM is his ability to rebuild the squad for the long term - both buying good players and bringing players through from the academy.

Back
Top Bottom