UCL - Red Star (A)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Morning Spurs supporters,

First and foremost congratulations on your victory last night, it was deserved for sure and we were completely outplayed for the full 90 minutes.

This was our heaviest defeat at home in our entire European history so it is quite a bitter pill to swallow at the moment. PSG, Napoli, Liverpool, and your dear friend Woolwich and more have been to Stadion Rajko Mitic in recent years and we have never been humiliated in this manner by 4 goal difference.

I will provide a perspective from Red Star of where things went wrong for us. Usually we are positive, attacking, and create chances at home, with zero fear. For some bizarre reason in the first half we played a completely different style yesterday, sitting back and allowing Tottenham to play their game to their own tempo.

1) Our manager got our tactics all wrong - we should have been more direct and play to our strengths and what we are used to doing.

2) Our main players had a terrible, terrible game. I have never seen Pavkov play so badly. My grandmother could have scored his one-on-one in the first half. And in the second half when we was 3 vs 2 he played some terrible pass, god knows what he was thinking. Marin is usually very influential and creative but he was not himself - I'm not sure if the early knock impacted him. Mateo Garcia was non-existant, he has been incredible all season but did nothing yesterday.

Maybe if Pavkov had scored and then it is 1-0 and it is a different game but there is no need for these thoughts because Tottenham were far and away the better team.

I was really impressed with Lo Celso in particular, he seemed to be so assured of himself on the ball and never put a foot wrong, he caused us big problems all game. Son was also very dangerous and looked threatening every time he had the ball. In my opinion, these 2 players were the most impressive Tottenham players last night, but the whole team played a great game so once more, congratulations for this!

Now, please do us a favour and beat our brothers Olympiakos (I say this with a heavy heart) to help us finish 3rd and enter the Liga Europa Last 32 :)

Cheers mate. The Pavkov effort was also a brilliant save from Gazzaniga, he made himself big and didn't commit til the last minute.

What's your relationship with Olympiakos? Hadn't heard of that.

Cheers mate. The Pavkov effort was also a brilliant save from Gazzaniga, he made himself big and didn't commit til the last minute.

What's your relationship with Olympiakos? Hadn't heard of that.

We have a long standing brotherhood with Olympiakos, since the 1980's. We are both of orthodox christian descent, and both play in Red & White. Also, the Serbian and Greek culture is very similar. Feel free to research greater details but these are the main reasons we became friends, and this friendship has grown ever since. Sometimes our supporters will attend Olympiakos matches, and they sometimes come to our matches. The link and friendship is very strong and we call ourselves "Orthodox Brothers". Spartak Moscow is also in our friendship circle, it is consisting of Red Star, Olympiakos, and Spartak Moscow. But we would consider to be closest to Olympiakos.

Here is our display before our Champions League group stage game on Match Day 2.

The TIFO was of both our club badges in unison, and the message below reads "Let today win the one in better mood - We will be brothers forever in evil and good"

EF0MZJPXUAApS4a.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyed the game last night.
Watched in the Occasional half in Palmers Green with a few mates .
Didn't realise they had such a great record at home in european competitions. Proud of last night.
We looked like we were enjoying the game. Erikson was a bit better,but still shouldn't be in the starting line up Saturday,unless needs must.

We have a long standing brotherhood with Olympiakos, since the 1980's. We are both of orthodox christian descent, and both play in Red & White. Also, the Serbian and Greek culture is very similar. Feel free to research greater details but these are the main reasons we became friends, and this friendship has grown ever since. Sometimes our supporters will attend Olympiakos matches, and they sometimes come to our matches. The link and friendship is very strong and we call ourselves "Orthodox Brothers". Spartak Moscow is also in our friendship circle, it is consisting of Red Star, Olympiakos, and Spartak Moscow. But we would consider to be closest to Olympiakos.

Here is our display before our Champions League group stage game on Match Day 2.

The TIFO was of both our club badges in unison, and the message below reads "Let today win the one in better mood - We will be brothers forever in evil and good"

EF0MZJPXUAApS4a.jpg

:vdvdive:

Ha, only kidding. That's nice and all BUT I really don't get it. I care about ONE club and one club only; Spurs.

Some I dislike, some I hate, some I'm indifferent to and some I might like a little bit but that's it.

Anyway, your team was poor over both games but I suspect you're better than what we saw. Good luck for the rest of the season!

:vdvdive:

Ha, only kidding. That's nice and all BUT I really don't get it. I care about ONE club and one club only; Spurs.

Some I dislike, some I hate, some I'm indifferent to and some I might like a little bit but that's it.

Anyway, your team was poor over both games but I suspect you're better than what we saw. Good luck for the rest of the season!

Thanks, best of luck to you too!

We were very poor, and made to look poor by Tottenham, who were very very good and a much higher class. I am hoping / confident we will do better in our remaining 2 fixtures, and hope to secure the 3rd place.

Back to your points about not understanding club friendships, it is more common than you may think. I can give you some examples.

Blues Brothers - Rangers/Chelsea/Linfield
Orthodox Brothers - Red Star/Spartak/Olympiakos
Partizan/PAOK/CSKA Moskva have a similar alliance
Napoli and Genoa are very close friendships.
Deportivo La Coruna / Sevilla are united in Left wing politics
Bursaspor and Ankaragucu support each other in Turkey
There are multiple alliances in Germany also.

There are many many more! Maybe it is not so common in the UK but it is quite big throughout all of Europe.

We were very poor, and made to look poor by Tottenham, who were very very good and a much higher class. I am hoping / confident we will do better in our remaining 2 fixtures, and hope to secure the 3rd place.

Back to your points about not understanding club friendships, it is more common than you may think. I can give you some examples.

There are many many more! Maybe it is not so common in the UK but it is quite big throughout all of Europe.

Yeah, as I said I don't get it.

We thought we had a good relationship with Ajax but turned out that was a load of bollocks.

You don't have to hate every other club but ultimately if we play you I hope we beat you, that's how it should be.

Comparable would be our historic links to Aberdeen (ASC) and also Ajax (F Side).

Comparable would be our historic links to Aberdeen (ASC) and also Ajax (F Side).

Yes exactly like this, I believe West Bromwich also have an alliance with a Dutch team VVV Venlo where they attend each other's fixtures. I'm sure there are many more in the UK with European teams that I do not know about.

"To this day Venlo supporters make the 712 mile round trip to cheer on the Baggies.

They also bring banners to their home games sporting the blue and white stripes and ‘WBA’ graffiti can be found around the Dutch city."

I think as an example, maybe if you are used to from a young age of not having any alliances, then the idea of an alliance or a friendship is quite strange to understand. But if you have always known of an alliance or friendship, then it is quite normal.

Trouble is with these links ,it only takes another link to break it.
As was said ,take us and Ajax.Now i and many others thought we had a good relationship with them.Then last year their young lot turned up all lairy with a load of bell ends from the wrong end of the Seven Sisters rd.
Any soft spot i had for the Dutch outfit died that night.
Red stars and Olympiakos is religious based,so probably will stand the test of time though.

Yes exactly like this, I believe West Bromwich also have an alliance with a Dutch team VVV Venlo where they attend each other's fixtures. I'm sure there are many more in the UK with European teams that I do not know about.

"To this day Venlo supporters make the 712 mile round trip to cheer on the Baggies.

They also bring banners to their home games sporting the blue and white stripes and ‘WBA’ graffiti can be found around the Dutch city."

I think as an example, maybe if you are used to from a young age of not having any alliances, then the idea of an alliance or a friendship is quite strange to understand. But if you have always known of an alliance or friendship, then it is quite normal.

Didn't know about the West Brom link. Interesting article. Cheers.

Its definitely an older supporter thing over here. Probably down to a lot of alliances being formed at a time when UK firms where more predominant.

Some links are obviously more religious or political.

Last edited:
Trouble is with these links ,it only takes another link to break it.
As was said ,take us and Ajax.
Any soft spot i had for the Dutch outfit died that night.
Red stars and Olympiakos is religious based,so probably will stand the test of time though.
I always thought our links with Ajax were tenuously 'religious' too... based on the whole Jewish thing!

I never knew why the Aberdeen link with us existed... was it summit to do with British Rail in the '70s?
I always had a soft spot for Motherwell (dunno why, maybe it's 'cos they are to the Glasgow clubs what Oldham and Tranmere are to Manchester and Merseyside respectively!) ...but never felt the need to follow Aberdeens results or fortunes in any way.

I think the links and associations are only relevant if you feel the need and desire to associate with someone else's club... which in effect, is all it really is.

I always thought our links with Ajax were tenuously 'religious' too... based on the whole Jewish thing!

I never knew why the Aberdeen link with us existed... was it summit to do with British Rail in the '70s?
I always had a soft spot for Motherwell (dunno why, maybe it's 'cos they are to the Glasgow clubs what Oldham and Tranmere are to Manchester and Merseyside respectively!) ...but never felt the need to follow Aberdeens results or fortunes in any way.

I think the links and associations are only relevant if you feel the need and desire to associate with someone else's club... which in effect, is all it really is.
The link with Aberdeen was a group of Spurs meeting with a group of theirs and getting on,and it growing.
that's what i got told anyway.

I wouldnt use the match last night as a source of possible hope. We did beat that team 5-0 with a different team too. Hopefully the next few games show us some real reasons to be positive.

The version I have been told goes as follows: A bunch of Aberdeen casuals started traveling down to London to get brand clothes that had not gotten up to Scotland yet on the regular. During those trips they developed friendships with Spurs fans and those that took to stealing the clothes rather than buying them also used the crowds at our pubs/the lane to hide from the cops. And our friendship grew from there.

No idea how correct it is, but it is the story I was told.

Back
Top Bottom