Unpopular football opinions

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As the title suggests, I'll start it off

I think the Bundesliga is the shitest & least competitive in the top 5 leagues

They get youth players that tear the league up, in the last 10 year's 2 teams have won the league, the last time was 10 years ago

Ligue 1 has had 3 teams in the last 10 years, PSG, Lille & Monaco and have a more physical league

Italy is super competitive these days, 3 different winners in the last 3 years

La Liga has also 3 winners in the last 10 years

They get youth players that tear the league up, in the last 10 year's 2 teams have won the league, the last time was 10 years ago

Ligue 1 has had 3 teams in the last 10 years, PSG, Lille & Monaco and have a more physical league

See Jadon Sancho for details.

My number one pet peeve about modern football is professional fouling. It breaks the flow of matches, favors the defensive side over the attacking, and robs us of some memorable break-away goals. A yellow card is too soft a penalty for it imho.

A red card would be too much. Also because it'll make for too many judgement calls from the ref, given how big an impact a red card has (and it'll make VAR even more of a hellscape). Instead introduce an orange card, which is a sending off for, say, 15 minutes (and with less than 10 minutes to go, then two players off).To be clear for fouls, where the player is breaking up a promising counter without having any chance of getting to the ball, be it pulling back the opposition player or sweeping their legs.

The negative would be player safety as I could easily see players stretching extra hard in a dangerous to get near the ball, while knowing full well they're ever only getting the man. Still, I'd take that, and trust the refs to make the right calls in those spots.

I don't even think this is unpopular? I feel like everyone has always known the Bundesliga was a one horse dumpster fire. If Bayern wasn't so good, it'd struggle to keep pace with the Eredivisie.

That's why when the Germans were all "we can't join the ESL" everyone else in the ESL group was like "ooooookay?"

Always been a shit league. That's why so many yanks have played there throughout the years and their TV rights go for a pittance.

I like the Bundesliga. Lots of teams who play entertaining stuff, and over the last decade the likes of Leipzig and Dortmund have had good European runs, and Frankfurt won the EL this season. Definitely not competitive though, the issue is that Bayern are just too good. Lille & Monaco wouldn't have won a league against them either.

They're a mixed bag in terms of player exports. The likes of Son, Aubameyang, Gundogan, De Bruyne, Sane did well in England. Think it gets a bad rap in this regard as all signings carry risk, but the fast paced, attacking style can flatter some creative/wide players in terms of their numbers.

Pau Torres will probably look very average in the Premier League.
He looks pretty average in La Liga/CL too tbh. Unlike say Romero where his talent was just undeniable, Pau Torres must be quite low key good, cos when I watched Villareal, my eyes were never drawn to him.

Taking the knee has set race relations in football back 20 years and is divisive, not inclusive as it should have been (just link arms standing or clap FFS). Excessive virtual signalling makes you look silly when bringing it into Sport. Southgate needs to concentrate on why he’s struggling rather than whine about the poor penalties in the Euro final that we’re the result of shit technique.

Taking the knee has set race relations in football back 20 years and is divisive, not inclusive as it should have been (just link arms standing or clap FFS). Excessive virtual signalling makes you look silly when bringing it into Sport. Southgate needs to concentrate on why he’s struggling rather than whine about the poor penalties in the Euro final that we’re the result of shit technique.

Plus watching the TV on my knees at my age is fucking torture.

My number one pet peeve about modern football is professional fouling. It breaks the flow of matches, favors the defensive side over the attacking, and robs us of some memorable break-away goals. A yellow card is too soft a penalty for it imho.

A red card would be too much. Also because it'll make for too many judgement calls from the ref, given how big an impact a red card has (and it'll make VAR even more of a hellscape). Instead introduce an orange card, which is a sending off for, say, 15 minutes (and with less than 10 minutes to go, then two players off).To be clear for fouls, where the player is breaking up a promising counter without having any chance of getting to the ball, be it pulling back the opposition player or sweeping their legs.

The negative would be player safety as I could easily see players stretching extra hard in a dangerous to get near the ball, while knowing full well they're ever only getting the man. Still, I'd take that, and trust the refs to make the right calls in those spots.
To sort of expand on this topic,

I think that football could implement a system similar to the one in basketball for fouls. Where a player can take 5 "regular" fouls, and gets sent off on the sixth. Right now refs can seemingly decide themselves how many fouls a player can commit before seeing a yellow, or even a red. So setting a set number could probably do some good in combatting the really cynical foulers.

Still keep yellows and straight reds around for the more meaty and nasty of fouls.

My pet peeve is players rolling around in agony and when they go off the pitch there's fuck all wrong with them.

Introduce a rule where anyone needing treatment has to stay off the pitch for a minimum of 5 minutes.

Think some people are missing the point of this thread, most of the pet peeves are things most people agree with.
My unpopular opinions are:
1. Nuno did a sterling job.
2. Winks should start every game
3. Tanguy should be given another chance.

Joking Just Kidding GIF
just joking GIF

Sarcastic Fran Healy GIF by Travis

My pet peeve is players rolling around in agony and when they go off the pitch there's fuck all wrong with them.

Introduce a rule where anyone needing treatment has to stay off the pitch for a minimum of 5 minutes.

Yeh; saw way too much 'tactical agony' being used to break up play last season.... It's getting more and more prevalent too.

Back
Top Bottom