Unpopular football opinions

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Giggs is the most overrated player in PL history. I see so many people say hes the greatest PL player of all time. He was never the best player when he was at man utd at any point. He was a good player surrounded by world class talent his whole career.

He was a very very good player, but nowhere near the greatest PL player of all time.

His attitude to playing for Wales was also a disgrace (I mean compare his attitude to Bale's when it comes to Wales).

But worse than that, he's an enormous wanker and a disgusting human being. I would not piss on him if he was on fire.

Missed the first 5 games of that season as well. Unreal player, surely the greatest striker of his generation.

The only argument against would be longevity .. he only really popped up at the top level late. But at Liverpool/Barcelona there wasn't a CF out there who could touch him. Absolute force of nature, some of the goals he scored were a fucking joke.

The only argument against would be longevity .. he only really popped up at the top level late. But at Liverpool/Barcelona there wasn't a CF out there who could touch him. Absolute force of nature, some of the goals he scored were a fucking joke.
Couldn't have been that great. Mega mind Tim Sherwood didn't think he could play alongside VDV.

:sherwoodlol:

While the bribery and sportswashing is abhorrent, parts of having the World Cup in Qatar are overplayed. The main one I'm thinking about is disrupting of the seasons, every part of the world should get the opportunity to host a World Cup at some point and if that means moving around the Euro seasons by a couple weeks so that it's played in the right conditions once every four years so be it. I also hate when Europeans say 'having a world cup in winter sucks', erm the other half of the world has it in winter every time. The Middle East should have gotten a World Cup eventually, just in the right manner and once their blatant human rights issues are eradicated, (I think that will happen eventually). I also think they should go back to switching each World Cup to a new continent every time, it's the world game every place should get the chance to host it equally.
They bid and won the bid for a summer WC, the move to winter is hand in hand with the corrupt bid.

He was a very very good player, but nowhere near the greatest PL player of all time.

His attitude to playing for Wales was also a disgrace (I mean compare his attitude to Bale's when it comes to Wales).

But worse than that, he's an enormous wanker and a disgusting human being. I would not piss on him if he was on fire.
Also he cost England a World Cup by selfishly playing for Wales instead of England because "oo0ooo I'm Welsh"

Sol Campbell before Sol Campbell was Sol Campbell.

I want my Smiths crisps back.

5248b5812c9b4673f9224b5452b0db7f.jpg

Giggs (private life aside) was a magnificent player, not the greatest but incredibly consistent (at a really high level) and reliable. He also scored that goal against the scum.

They bid and won the bid for a summer WC, the move to winter is hand in hand with the corrupt bid.
I agree with that, that’s sort of what I mean. The corruption is wrong but if they bid and said ‘we want it to be in November’ everyone would have lost it. I don’t think it matters that much.

Mr. Octopus put it correctly. Too selfish and doesn't uplift the players around him.

As for better players. Messi, Pele, R9, Zidane, Cruyff, Maradona, Best, Beckenbauer, Greaves, Garrincha, Puskas, Platini, Van Basten.

Maybe top 20 was harsh. But I don't think he is in the goat conversation.

Mr. Octopus put it correctly. Too selfish and doesn't uplift the players around him.

As for better players. Messi, Pele, R9, Zidane, Cruyff, Maradona, Best, Beckenbauer, Greaves, Garrincha, Puskas, Platini, Van Basten.

Maybe top 20 was harsh. But I don't think he is in the goat conversation.

I think the best players of all time is a flawed argument unless you have a time machine and went back to when football firs started, impossible to collate a list of players as you're guaranteed to miss out a load you didn't see IMO

Last edited:
That Payet season was unreal, tbf. Bale’s season before he left also ridiculous. De Bruyne had one season where he was next level brilliant too, can’t quite remember which it was.

Honourable mentions to Van Djik’s first full season + Alisson last season, keepers/defenders tend to go unmentioned in these discussions.
While i agree on their contribution theres no way alison and van djik are underated. The media have blown them up to such a proportion that they possibly are nearly overated

While i agree on their contribution theres no way alison and van djik are underated. The media have blown them up to such a proportion that they possibly are nearly overated

Oh that post in particular was just players who have had the best PL seasons. Wasn’t saying they were underrated.

Back
Top Bottom