Unpopular opinion but IMO, Son, Lucas and Kane can’t play in 3-4-3

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

These 3 players don’t fit into Conte 3-4-3
system.

Conte system requires a “Fox in the box” or a “target man” that attacks crosses or tidy up loose balls. Kane is not such a player.

Son thrives when playing out wide and running at players. But Conte system requires him to cut inside and makes runs, pass well and connect with team mates. The widest players are the wingbacks, and not Son.

Lucas’s asset is dribbling but he can’t pass well. But in Conte system, the transition from defence to attack requires quick passing and making runs into space. Lucas is not such a player.

I believe we have to either get rid of Lucas and play 3-5-2 with Kane and Son thriving on an “Eriksen” type of passes or we revert to another formation where Son and Lucas can flourish on the wings…

Agree and it gives another body in the centre where we get bypassed against good sides. We had 3 midfielders vs Liverpool and played well

343 ok vs the junk

I don't think there are any perfect ways to play with our current squad. Liverpool have an ordinary selection of CMs but they have world class full-backs that terrify all opponents. Chelsea have quality in both areas as do City. We have ordinary CMs as well as ordinary full-backs, there is no obvious solution.

We have to work hard, be solid and be clinical. That's all we can expect from this group of players. Find a way to win the games while we try to improve the squad.

Wish we had a transfer window coming up soon where we can buy some players who actually suited this system

Oh wait...

Doesn't suit Son at all. Hopefully we'll go 3-5-2 soon, think it'll suit us a bit more, and maybe gives you more leeway in playing Traore (or even Bergwijn, Lucas, Gil) as your rwb.

Doesn't suit Son at all. Hopefully we'll go 3-5-2 soon, think it'll suit us a bit more, and maybe gives you more leeway in playing Traore (or even Bergwijn, Lucas, Gil) as your rwb.
Having Romero and Dier in the 3 also helps as the RWB will be receiving better service

Don't agree.

Ultimately the problem is always form.

Right now Son is average and Kane in what I honestly think is akin to conscious incompetence. He kind of knows or seems to be playing like he isn't sure he can be a top striker again. No system can overcome that and it's massively problematic

I get the point but in their heyday Kane and Son would be running riot.

I think you will be right but not bevause the three can't play the way Conte may want but because they aren't playing well enough.

It's why so called big teams need proper options.

I think there’s an element of truth to this.

For me the problem lies in the fact that the only one of the three with any craft is there one that in this system is being asked to stay up front. Issue is that if that player were to drop deeper and play at number 10, one of the other two is a good goalscorer but very streaky while the other has shown nothing to suggest he can ever give more than the occasional purple patch or magic moment.

This is compounded by the fact that we’re slow getting the ball forward anyway so between the three of them by the time they have the ball there’s very little to work with.

Our similar formation under Pochettino has Eriksen in the side either at CM when Dembele was injured or, preferably, right of Kane with Dele doing what we’re asking of Son now. Problem is, in the middle neither Højbjerg or Skipp are about to pull an Eriksen, while the player’s we’d hope could have to this point been subject failures. To compound this, while Reggy and Sess are decent on the left, Doherty is Doherty and Emerson just doesn’t have the pace to do what Walker used to do (Walker, who has a brain fart in him and very little end product, used to carry the ball 60/70 yards several times a match leaving the front 3 with far more space to play with).

So, you replace a genius like Eriksen with an entertaining but largely ineffective Lucas, and a bullet train like Walker with Emerson Wan Bissaka, and you’re suddenly very predictable. Going even further, none of our centre backs can create an attack the way Vertonghen and Alderweireid could.

It’s why Traore actually makes sense. He’s as close as we’ll find to doing what Walker could do and, while he may not be as good defensively, with three centre backs and a fairly solid midfield that’s less of an issue. If we could compound that with upgrading on Lucas by signing a real playmaker (as I’ve accepted that we’re unlikely to sign a playmaking CM any time soon), our attack is looking far healthier.

I think there’s an element of truth to this.

For me the problem lies in the fact that the only one of the three with any craft is there one that in this system is being asked to stay up front. Issue is that if that player were to drop deeper and play at number 10, one of the other two is a good goalscorer but very streaky while the other has shown nothing to suggest he can ever give more than the occasional purple patch or magic moment.

This is compounded by the fact that we’re slow getting the ball forward anyway so between the three of them by the time they have the ball there’s very little to work with.

Our similar formation under Pochettino has Eriksen in the side either at CM when Dembele was injured or, preferably, right of Kane with Dele doing what we’re asking of Son now. Problem is, in the middle neither Højbjerg or Skipp are about to pull an Eriksen, while the player’s we’d hope could have to this point been subject failures. To compound this, while Reggy and Sess are decent on the left, Doherty is Doherty and Emerson just doesn’t have the pace to do what Walker used to do (Walker, who has a brain fart in him and very little end product, used to carry the ball 60/70 yards several times a match leaving the front 3 with far more space to play with).

So, you replace a genius like Eriksen with an entertaining but largely ineffective Lucas, and a bullet train like Walker with Emerson Wan Bissaka, and you’re suddenly very predictable. Going even further, none of our centre backs can create an attack the way Vertonghen and Alderweireid could.

It’s why Traore actually makes sense. He’s as close as we’ll find to doing what Walker could do and, while he may not be as good defensively, with three centre backs and a fairly solid midfield that’s less of an issue. If we could compound that with upgrading on Lucas by signing a real playmaker (as I’ve accepted that we’re unlikely to sign a playmaking CM any time soon), our attack is looking far healthier.
been saying this for a while we have three strikers who can receive the ball and nobody to pass to them and erikssen was always there to be the creator thats why we miss him so much.

I don't think it is all that unpopular many people have said that they want us to move to the 3-5-2. I imagine that Conte wants to move to his preferred 3-5-2 as well.

I don't think it is all that unpopular many people have said that they want us to move to the 3-5-2. I imagine that Conte wants to move to his preferred 3-5-2 as well.
Doesn’t have much choice now as our single striker approach hits home

Lucas: Playing some of his best football both now and when Jose had him as a quasi-#10 last season.
Kane: A popular consensus was that he needs to push back up into a CF role. Finally looking a bit more involved.
Son:

Dychotomy:
This past summer: "Sonny is actually better through the middle"
Current theory: "3421 keeps Sonny away from the wing where he does his best work"
Popular opinion: "Conte should go 352" (which would push Sonny into the center)"

How's that for a brain teaser??? :dier:

Back
Top Bottom