Useless Managers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree with alot of that, disagree re Silva. I think he's very good. He's also a complete bastard who'll only be interested in doing a decent job for you as long as he doesnt think there's a better one around the corner. I think he'll do a good job for Everton until a better opportunity comes along. Maybe he'll do a couple of years there. The Chavs job comes up every season or so. Goons may well have Dick for a couple of seasons. Manure may dispense with the Special One. Not saying Silva will get one of those, but imo that's how he's thinking.
You may be right, but if so he's playing with fire with that attitude. I think it's going to take a couple of extremely rough seasons for Man Utd or Woolwich (or Everton stunning everyone and becoming a consistent top four force) before they go for Silva. They're still going to be aiming for higher tier managers for a while yet. Managers who have been in the Champions League, at least. Moyes at Man Utd was an outlier and motivated by Ferguson and a delusion by their fans that they were different from other clubs and were going to recruit another Scottish guy who would be at the team for over twenty years. But Ferguson no longer has the say he once did and the fanbase is itching for success at all costs now, hence the Zidane rumours. I would bet all the hair on my head that Zidane is going nowhere near that club, though.

I guess managers who have no long-standing link to the club they're managing can't be blamed for looking for where their next step may be. Especially when the owner is likely to boot them out soon or sell up to some other load of billionaires who want one of their mates in instead. Pochettino was probably planning where his future laid after Tottenham before he became so embedded within the the team, and he himself reckons that during his first season he was one match away from being fired. Things could have been very different.

Simon Jordan's the most interesting pundit on Talkshite by a country mile. He's opinionated, and he's also run a club, so has alot of credibility.

The worst has got to be Dean Saunders. Really annoying voice too.

Good for the occasional anecdote about old-school dressing room culture etc, but he's one kool-aid drinking motherfucker and is another one that talks in slogans (Honestly I could write his 'Final Word' script for him a week in advance!). Dipper too :pochunimpressed:

Jordan: I'm sure he's a smug little asshole in real life, but considering how the game has changed (i.e. the football "business"); a perspective such as his is a breath of fresh air and potentially holds more resonance as to what happens to our teams in the long run than most of the guff reported and discussed regarding players and matches. More often than not a thoroughly good listen. Doesn't give a fuck too which is always fun (see QPR rant)...

It's a bit old now (2011), but for an insight into what a basket case club QPR are have a look at The Four Year Plan. It's on Netflix and is one of the finest football documentaries I've ever seen.
Ian Dowie came out of that looking like a complete bafoon.

This interview with Fernandes and his plan, putting in foundations for the long term blah, blah......complete and utter fraud, staggering miss-management.

They deserve all they get

Bit like birmingham, going for the play offs under a couple of seasons ago under Gary rowett, new owners binned him off to bring in a big name. Appointed Zola and since then have been staving off relegation.

Mind, rowett has hardly been a success since!!

Bit like birmingham, going for the play offs under a couple of seasons ago under Gary rowett, new owners binned him off to bring in a big name. Appointed Zola and since then have been staving off relegation.

Mind, rowett has hardly been a success since!!

A bit like Newcastle sacking Chrissy Hughton after getting them promoted
Hated them ever since

article-2429835-0007717800000258-545_634x423.jpg

Bit of an odd one but that bald fella Brian McDermott at Reading was pretty terrible

Wasn't he more of a case of:

- Coach promoted off the back of a sacking mid-season.
- Did a good enough job of it to get a run at the job (I swear he either saved them from relegation or got them promoted - Can't think which.).
- Following season, not so good.
- Sacked.

One of my best mates is Reading... They were generally supportive of him.

It's the shit old-boys club journeymen getting rich off the back of repeated failure (& the cheque-book managers) that I take issue with.

...Anyone else just needs to find their level.

Wasn't he more of a case of:

- Coach promoted off the back of a sacking mid-season.
- Did a good enough job of it to get a run at the job (I swear he either saved them from relegation or got them promoted - Can't think which.).
- Following season, not so good.
- Sacked.

One of my best mates is Reading... They were generally supportive of him.

It's the shit old-boys club journeymen getting rich off the back of repeated failure (& the cheque-book managers) that I take issue with.

...Anyone else just needs to find their level.
Yeah that's fair enough actually it's a shame he never seemed to get a second chance in the prem while as you said someone like Hughes could get relegated twice in a row and still get another job in the prem.

Yeah that's fair enough actually it's a shame he never seemed to get a second chance in the prem while as you said someone like Hughes could get relegated twice in a row and still get another job in the prem.

Reading lot will openly tell you he's not EPL-class, but he did good by them.

Was nowhere near the level of cuntishness as Ashley/Hughton scenario, but more like Mateo at the Chavs... Was never gonna last longer term.

Last edited:
Gerrard - who criticised his fringe players after Sunday's draw at Dundee - says he needs "quality" reinforcements.

"I think to compete at this level and have ambitions to go further, the players need some help," Gerrard said.

That's not helping them, that's replacing them.

Back
Top Bottom