USMNT Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I dunno, the playing style such as it is of MLS definitely emerges from the strengths and weaknesses of the circa-Aughts American-developed player. “Orange slices guys” I sometimes derisively call them.

Anyway, CONCACAF also-rans being stronger, and in turn providing stronger players to MLS is a positive feedback loop. It’s just that the US missing the World Cup is a damaging and unacceptable side effect.

Yeah, you're right that it has become the US-style of play because we didn't have the pure quality of play, so it all became about speed and physicality. It was also what was required to play in and succeed within CONCACAF.

While I do think that keeping better US players within the MLS is better for the league in general and contributes to the positive feedback loop you discussed, the reality is that the quality of the league was likely damaging the overall quality of the national team.

What’s your take on why Canada seems to be producing far more NBA, MLB, and high level soccer players than they ever did in decades past?

Canadian hockey is as loaded as it ever was, that doesn’t seem to be the reason.

I just think that youth soccer has been huge here, and much more accessible for kids than hockey. It's very expensive for hockey registration (comparatively), so when you get more kids playing, you also get the better athletes playing the game. I look at players like Alphonso Davies and think that as a kid who came to Canada as a refugee, hockey wouldn't have been an option due to cost for sure. More than that though, there is a path for those good players to rise toward being professional now.

Canada has actually produced a few really good players through the years and some of them haven't played for Canada. Owen Hargreaves for example, could've played for us and instead chose England. Even today we have Daniel Jebbison who could play for Canada and just hasn't been capped yet, and there have been others who played for Holland or elsewhere instead of the Canadian program.

I do think that MLS has helped, and overall having more opportunities for the better athletes is only going to make the national team stronger. We have a fledging Canadian Premier League here now as well, and that provides more opportunities for young, would-be professional players. The pay is not amazing (I think that the salary cap is about $1m per club), but it allows some of these young kids to play professionally and earn a little money.

"USMNT"

Cringe Wince GIF

WTF, OMG, FFS, you need a bloody enigma machine to decipher all the ridiculous acronyms in this thread. I can't wait for THMFC to play CPMFC on Sat. Fuck me.
And why is it USMNT. If they want to be really clear that its the mens team instead of womens, its more important to be clear what sport it is (as there are more sports than genders). Call it USMNTOF (of football) or be really ridiculous and say USMNTOS(of saaawwcurrr)

And why is it USMNT. If they want to be really clear that its the mens team instead of womens, its more important to be clear what sport it is (as there are more sports than genders). Call it USMNTOF (of football) or be really ridiculous and say USMNTOS(of saaawwcurrr)
Reading posts like this just makes me think MTEAABODTWJLUDOT.

For non-U.S. posters, that's an acronym commonly understood here in the U.S. and popularized during the War of 1812 and it stands for "Man the English are a bunch of dicks that won't just let us do our thing"

Reading posts like this just makes me think MTEAABODTWJLUDOT.

For non-U.S. posters, that's an acronym commonly understood here in the U.S. and popularized during the War of 1812 and it stands for "Man the English are a bunch of dicks that won't just let us do our thing"
Sounds sexist.

For whatever reason, every other US soccer broadcast presentation has taken the lesson from NBC's exemplary PL coverage that they should do something totally different, and it's always a cringeworthy disaster.

The Two Robbies deserve a lot of credit for being understated non-idiots in the way they pundit.

Back
Top Bottom