VAR

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has VAR Ruined Football?

• Total voters
I didn’t want to piss and moan in a perfectly good game thread, so I thought I’d go here.

VAR is garbage. I’m convinced that Richarlison is onside and that’s one of the dumbest calls we’ve seen. But im also flabbergasted that they gave a penalty for the Kulusevski handball. Like one week we have a clear shout for a handball where a player cuts a pass out for a scoring chance and they review this and decide it’s not intentional, so no penalty. This week it’s a penalty, but clearly not intentional.

And using this for offsides has just been so stupid since day one. I don’t know if it should a rolling video they have to use, and no-freeze frame, or what the solution is at this point. I’d settle for the officials making a call, making mistakes and just eliminating VAR though. It’s not like it’s fixing anything.

Honestly, it’s a complete disgrace. Just farcical.
The worst part of VAR is not being able to celebrate a goal properly for the fear of them intervening . Surely that’s what football should be all about

It is the death of the sport and must be eliminated root-and-branch.

Come back when an offside can be alerted to the referee instantly via wristwatch a la goal line technology. The tech is not at a place yet where it doesn't make a mockery of the game.
I get what you are saying but offside should not be decided by inches.
The whole point of offside is to deter "goal hanging"
The rule was not introduced to rule out goals by centimetres.

Cant believe that pen decision looking again, zero contact. Southampton player flying in like a clown
And it's not overturned.

Thinking back to last week, I've seen stills of that richarlison goal and he's clearly onside, behind the play, level at the very worse but var rules it out .

Something very corrupt going on in this League, not sure if it will ever get exposed unfortunately

That should never, ever have been given as offside. But worse than that, it should not have taken 3 fucking minutes to find a slither of hope for the corrupt bastards to give it off. They should have a first glance rule with absolutely no lines. Lino didn't flag it don't forget. He hasn't made a clear and obvious mistake, award the goal.

It’s a disgrace. I think there should be a time limit because like you say three minutes clearly means they are looking for something specific. They should also only watch the replay at real speed. None of this slow mo or freeze frame crap. The technology isn’t good enough for that so watch it at the same speed as everyone else and decide on that. If it’s not clearly offside then give the benefit to the attacker.
Also refs and VAR should be miked up. We should be able to hear the discussions that are taking place.

The inconsistencies of decision making haven't been removed from the game. Take the Saints Penalty at the weekend, some refs give that, others don't. Some clubs get those all the time, others don't.

You might see one ref allow the first 4-5 heavy challenges in a game go unopposed, another ref might book the first one.

VAR hasn't fixed shit.

All VAR has done is brought us the wonderful offside rules where you can be offside by quarter of an inch. So much so its not even visible to the naked eye. but we have to rely on officials deploying a series of lines. Sometimes they draw the lines over and over and the decision can take several minutes, sometimes you see a goal scored and immediatley think "that looked way offside" and you don't even get the lines, which leads people to come up with some bizarre conspiracy theories.

But the elephant in the room is its sucked out all the spontaneouty of celebrating a goal which was the single best thing in football.

VAR is pointless if you can't get to 100% consistency across officials and clubs.

Scrap it

Honestly the officiating in general is a joke

I won't be convinced that this league ain't rigged now. VAR has made is so obvious now everything is checked when they simply don't want to give a decision

The PL is fast becoming like the WWE imo "mistake" after "mistake" every week goals ruled out for no reason and goals and decisions obviously incorrect allowed to stand.

The pen decision today is perhaps the worst I've ever seen multiple camera positions showed no contact don't even send the ref over

Fucking corrupt load of shit and I'm seriously considering turning away from the PL. Every week it's just ref controversy

Vardy diving and winning pens all season shows what a disaster VAR has been
That second penalty yesterday was just ridiculous. The fact that they didn't even question the initial call is just ridiculous. Sanchez didn't even put in a challenge! They should have pulled that one back and booked Vardy for simulation.

It's just remarkable. I thought VAR would at least be useful in discouraging simulation, but how wrong I was.

Bump.
VAR needs to be binned off.

VAR-decided-not-to-give-a-penalty-against-Rodri-1572516.jpg

The problem was the same before VAR as it is after VAR

Referees are absolutely awful. They have a massive chip on their shoulder, they have bias, they make errors, put all that together and you get bad match officials.

It doesn't matter if you have a video replay system, you still have corrupt idiots looking at it.

At best, we have indivuals with an agenda. At worst, this is organised corruption.

The trouble with VAR is that the people viewing it and making decisions are the same lot of useless cunts who run around on the pitch with a whistle up their arse

Exactly. The guy who fucked up in the palace brighton game is the same guy who was the ref in our game on new years day against Villa and was utterly useless that day. Some of them are just terrible officials.

We want to see more goals, not ones disallowed because the attacker's little toe nail is off side.
If the officials on the pitch aren't up to the job, then get officials trained up properly so that they are.
I appreciate that the game is fast and there's cameras everywhere, so every decision is analysed to death. How about a ref in each half? Anything has to better than VAR.
VAR has significantly reduced my enjoyment and interest in football. I don't think it's something I will ever learn to live with.

It's ruined the sport.

I didn’t want to piss and moan in a perfectly good game thread, so I thought I’d go here.

VAR is garbage. I’m convinced that Richarlison is onside and that’s one of the dumbest calls we’ve seen. But im also flabbergasted that they gave a penalty for the Kulusevski handball. Like one week we have a clear shout for a handball where a player cuts a pass out for a scoring chance and they review this and decide it’s not intentional, so no penalty. This week it’s a penalty, but clearly not intentional.

And using this for offsides has just been so stupid since day one. I don’t know if it should a rolling video they have to use, and no-freeze frame, or what the solution is at this point. I’d settle for the officials making a call, making mistakes and just eliminating VAR though. It’s not like it’s fixing anything.

Honestly, it’s a complete disgrace. Just farcical.

That should never, ever have been given as offside. But worse than that, it should not have taken 3 fucking minutes to find a slither of hope for the corrupt bastards to give it off. They should have a first glance rule with absolutely no lines. Lino didn't flag it don't forget. He hasn't made a clear and obvious mistake, award the goal.

Nothing will change with VAR until they have to document the reasons why some of these questionable decisions are made.

Whether it is incompetence or corruption, they just hide behind silence. Media such as MOTD and SKY just seem to let is slide and I don't get why, any managers that speak out are slapped with fines. It is becoming worse and worse, lack of consistency and I really do believe the tech is not there yet. Low res footage which in no way can pick up the point a ball is struck, when looking for a offside. If the video shows the ball as moving, it is too late. That could be 20,30 or 40 frames, you just cant make calls on such tight decisions with those levels of error.

After each game, there should be a review written of each VAR decision and how they came to the result they did. Explaining the penalty against us and the non-check (may be they did) of the handball that lead up to their 2nd goal, would be interesting. I guess the problem for them then is that it will be easier to pick up on inconstancies from game to game, maybe even within the same game.

I know being at a game and having to endure these decisions is not entertainment at all. Richys disallowed goal last week is an example. It took far too long and the margins were so tight it was ridiculous. It seemed their only agenda was to check and check and check until they could disallow it..

Last edited:
VAR only works if it is transparent.

Unfortunately it has done the opposite as we now have decisions being made selectively in a room somewhere with zero accountability.

They choose when to check and whether or not to show the video information to the audience.

It's actually made things worse as there is no consistency

Back
Top Bottom