VAR

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has VAR Ruined Football?

• Total voters
If VAR was at the Boro game, it’s quite possible that both the Kane disallowed goal and the Boro winner would be reversed. Terrible that the FA have allowed a competition to have it in some matches but not in others - games are literally not being played under the same conditions 😵‍💫

I get what you are saying but offside should not be decided by inches.
The whole point of offside is to deter "goal hanging"
The rule was not introduced to rule out goals by centimetres.
I absolutely agree, any technological imposition of the offside rule is not justly imposing the intent of the law (nevermind some technical notion of "precision") if there is not a significant margin for human judgment imposed.

And by the way, all of this is mediated by the television presentation of the game, which carries on with the the scientifically false notion that these questions can be accurately discerned by a freeze-frame image.

This all flows from a forgetting of the reality that the game is an entertainment product for which the fans are the patrons. Start from a firm grounding there and the right answers reveal themselves very clearly.

I want to know why City didn't have that penalty overturned yesterday. Grealish is a diving, leg trailing cunt. The same tactic got Romero a second yellow the other week.

People thought it would stop diving but its encouraged it, ref blows and let's var decide and any contact on var justifies refs decision.

It's shit and always will be imo
Ref's do less now. They just meander around the pitch waiting for the voice in the earpeice.
Slows the game down to a crawl, lowers the standard of onfield refs and sucks the life out of it for us fans.

I dont think games should be played on Saturdays (7th Day Adventists and Jews) or Sundays (Christians).

10am Wednesday morning should keep everyone happy.

I dont think games should be played on Saturdays (7th Day Adventists and Jews) or Sundays (Christians).

10am Wednesday morning should keep everyone happy.

CL games in NZ kick off around 9am. So when we go out to a shit Milan team without a shot on goal you get the rest of the day to reflect on what you just witnessed.

It's great.

I know we wouldn’t have got to the CL final without it, and we would t have won yesterday , but it’s quite clear the people using this arnt capable… the technology is fine , it just doesn’t suit this game. It’s ruining the game.

Just scrap it and just leave goal line technology only .

Had a look for a threat about VAR specifically but didn't see anything.

Merge with another thread if I've missed it but this is about VAR across the board not just in our matches.

Yesterday against Leicester the ref didn't give the first penalty to Leicester despite looking right at it and it being blatant. VAR took 1-2 minutes to stop play and award it. Similar to the City one a few years ago. This is unacceptable. What if a player gets his leg broken in the dead space between the incident and the penalty.
Then the ref immediately blew for a penalty for the 2nd one when it wasn't a penalty in a month of fucking Sundays. Yet VAR didn't over rule it. Hmm.
Then a Leicester player pushes the ball out for a corner with his arm depriving Moura a potential tap in, VAR doesn't even check it.
Kane handles in the build up to a goal, goal given. Can't complain but had it been disallowed, can't see any complaints.

Then we go to the Leeds and the Villa matches. Kane has a fantastic goal ruled out for offside using an image that obscures the ball completely when it was played but they can tell he was a mm offside? Let's not forget either the frame rate is so poor they have no idea when a ball is kicked but they're making offside calls on mm margins. Fuck sake stop it.

Against Villa in contrast, the linesman incorrect flagged Son offside, uphold by the referee when Son was in acres of space to score. Also flagged Bale offside when he wasn't and we should have had a corner.

The introduction of VAR was meant to make the game fairer but it's got worse than ever. The on field officials don't know what they're doing and the VAR plebs are the same bunch of idiots.

I'd like to use this thread to highlight all the ludicrous decisions going forward.
I'd also love to the fans to be given a voice with VAR as it hasn't worked and it's spoiled the game beyond anything I could have imagined. I can no longer feel any emotion when a goal is scored as you know the spoil sports are looking for ways to disallow it.

Bump.
VAR needs to be binned off.

VAR-decided-not-to-give-a-penalty-against-Rodri-1572516.jpg

I genuinely believe we have the worst referees in European football right now and VAR is just making things worse. It’s a disgrace and needs to be scrapped.

Hate it it’s shit. Ruins celebrating goals. It’s shit.
That is my main issue with it. It has taken away the joyous spontaneity of celebrating a goal.
Before VAR, in some cases, you would have quick glance to see if the linesman had his flag raised.
Now you can't be sure and it can take ages after a perfectly looking goal, for the ref to signal that VAR are looking in to it. A classic recent example was Kane's offside goal when we were 2- 1 up against Man City. I was jumping around the living room, then VAR, in what seemed like ages, decided to look in to the goal and disallow it.

There was potential there for an unfair result, but let's be serious, they don't get VAR decisions right when they do have it

The game was better to watch for not having it.
I'd suffer all the VAR downsides if it was accurate and used sensibly (ie not drawing fucking lines on the pitch to try and chalk off goals)
But they can't get decisions right so we're best off without it

For me if your in an offside position you should be given offside. As for this bollocks about not interfering with play what's he doing on the pitch then. The law makers have fucked about with the offside rule many times but, the best rule is if the attacking side has a player in an offside position then your offside. That would make the rule clear to everyone.
Calm down Cloughie, It's not 1987 anymore

No.

Chelsea, Man City and Newcastle have done more damage to football than VAR with their economic ruining of the game.

I would also add that VAR isn’t to bad in European competition. It’s us who fuck it up, in the prem their is no common sense, offside for example, VAR should only ever get involved when there is a clear error because the game has always been about giving the benefit of the doubt to the attackers, we have turned it into his pube was offside.

There are issues with VAR, but it’s how we use the technology more than the technology itself, we don’t conduct anything in the spirit of the game rather than exact letter of the law and even then as per the Everton missed pen we fuck up.

Really it’s the governing of the game that is the biggest issue from the owners we allow to buy our clubs to the jobsworth match officials.

Ref's do less now. They just meander around the pitch waiting for the voice in the earpeice.
Slows the game down to a crawl, lowers the standard of onfield refs and sucks the life out of it for us fans.
It was always going to be the case, it's not just the PL every league has issues.

VAR takes away more than it gives

Back
Top Bottom