VAR

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has VAR Ruined Football?

• Total voters
The real shame is, that fantastic goals (like Richarlison's yesterday) are being chalked off for marginal decisions that take MINUTES to decide...
Whereas tiny deflections that may or may not be on/offside due to whether the attacker shaved that morning, or cut his fucking toenails ARE being given!

I'm not saying give a goal because it's a well taken goal.... but fuck me, Richie's DESERVED a goal, as opposed to some freak deflection off of someone's outstretched leg, surely?

Whatever happened to the hi-tech graphics that were supposed to eliminate all offside mistakes forever?

You know, this shit that they used in the World Cup...

YZ72YHE.png

Is it coming to a Kart Track near us?
You just wanna scream until you bust a blood vessel that absolutely nobody in the game wants these ruled out. We don't even want them being looked at unless the lino flagged (after the goal) to then 100% definitely award this as onside.
The more this goes on, the more we're made to hold back celebrating goals, the longer they spend on trying to rule them out, the more damage is done to the game IMO.

I find the use of lines for offside decisions confusing. Yesterday decisions the lines were drawn from under the armpit of the defender (the rest of his arm further forward) and Richarlison's shoulder. How can that be right.
For me they change the rules based on the colour of the shirt. We all know that decision goes for Liverpool, Woolwich and man utd. Corruption is alive and well in the EPL.

You just wanna scream until you bust a blood vessel that absolutely nobody in the game wants these ruled out. We don't even want them being looked at unless the lino flagged (after the goal) to then 100% definitely award this as onside.
The more this goes on, the more we're made to hold back celebrating goals, the longer they spend on trying to rule them out, the more damage is done to the game IMO.
My hope would be that since the introduction of VAR there should be some realisation by now that certain rules in football are about interpretation, which by its very definition means there is a possibility for inconsistency when giving a decision. It should also now be established that humans make mistakes on offsides etc that on occasion an offence is committed that they might not have seen it. But VAR should have by now highlighted that it hasn't fixed this, that VAR is also run by humans, so those exact interpretations of law will still mean there are inconsistencies and that they still get decisions (offside etc) wrong.

The hope is VAR has educated people that even tech hasn't solved these issues. If I wanted to prove to people that mistakes and interpretations happen in football then I would have invented VAR as part of the exercise to prove this theory and call it a success.

Apologies should be given for the waste of time experienced by fans, especially those paying to be at the stadiums. But the experiment should be called off. Let us still rage at decisions officials get wrong, even the ones they get right, but at least the game goes on, no stoppage for 5 ludicrous minutes, no-kill joys taking out the euphoric feeling and that joy when your team scores.
I still maintain that the best solution, and 'protest' at VAR would be for EVERY football fan inside the ground to greet EVERY goal with absolute silence.... UNTIL VAR DEEM IT OK FOR US TO CELEBRATE!

A bit petulant, I know, and it would take every ounce of restraint, and go against every instinctive gutteral passion... But IMAGINE them trying to sell THAT silent, non reaction product to the world!?

VAR are trying to apply the letter of the law to everything which is impossible. They are human and judging things with a bit more info than the ref and assistant which just leads to inconsistency.
Also they don’t listen to what fans wanted.
We have goaline technology which works just fine and everyone is happy with.
All we wanted was to eliminate obvious errors in the offside. Ones where a lad was a foot offside and the assistant didn’t see it.
Goals like Richie’s the other day should be given. If it takes longer than ten seconds to judge then it should be given.
Keep it simple and keep the game going.

Cant believe that pen decision looking again, zero contact. Southampton player flying in like a clown
And it's not overturned.

Thinking back to last week, I've seen stills of that richarlison goal and he's clearly onside, behind the play, level at the very worse but var rules it out .

Something very corrupt going on in this League, not sure if it will ever get exposed unfortunately

I don't care enough to check what happens with other teams. But are other teams getting fucked badly on a weekly basis too?

Seems to be every week or at least every other week when it comes to us. Whether it's decisions that are given as offside when they're not. Or things not given as offside. Penalty decisions that shouldn't be given and penalties that should. Fouls in build ups that aren't given etc.

Cant believe that pen decision looking again, zero contact. Southampton player flying in like a clown
And it's not overturned.

Thinking back to last week, I've seen stills of that richarlison goal and he's clearly onside, behind the play, level at the very worse but var rules it out .

Something very corrupt going on in this League, not sure if it will ever get exposed unfortunately
The corruption is so obvious it makes prince Andrew look above board.

Don’t seem to get the same
Problems with Rugby which is a lot harder to ref
I think it’s the way it’s used. In rugby, the on pitch official is genuinely asking for assistance for something he isn’t sure about, and needs a hand in seeing what happened. In the PL, they’re only verifying that the right decision is made.

Basically, rugby officials are using VAR to get the decision correct. But we’re seeing it used to proper up the ego of the officials on the pitch. I agree this seems like a fine line, but it’s an enormous difference in practice.

It's not the first time a Spurs player has conceded a pen for trying to kick the ball but ended up kicking an opposition player in the back of the leg cos they came charging in from behind to take the ball. Aurier suffered that fate more than once.

This is however the most eggregious instance of that style of penalty.
But he isn´t kicking him in the back of the leg, he isn´t kicking him at all! He misses the ball and kicks in the air

I don't agree, but I do believe that they have proved that they have zero appetite for reform, or even introspection on any fucking level whatsoever. I've said before that when VAR was first introduced I seriously thought that the rules were so bad that they were honestly self-sabotaging VAR so they could be justified in retracting it. Then it just kept going and they never learned anything or tried to improve anything.

The league has more or less adopted the position that they invent the rules for VAR on the fly, and to suit the attitude of the on-field referee.

VAR in this league is run by a pack of clowns.
Exactly. The people who are misusing the VAR system are bringing about this condemnation of the part it has to play in modern football.

VAR was never intended to either work or not work, it is simply meant to provide referees with an alternative viewpoint of an incident from which they can (hopefully) make a better judged decision. If supporters think that decision is wrong then the blame should be directed at the match officials for making it, not a monitor. I cannot count the number of times I have watched a ref stick to his original decision despite overwhelming contrary evidence from the pitch side screen simply because he doesn't want his reputation tarnished or pride hurt.

The only problem I have with it is the manner in which offside is assessed. When you are watching at home and seeing 500 frames per second and then having the ref look at the same incident at 50 frames per second you realise what a false impression such images project. Far too much attention spent on where the attacking player is rather than the exact moment that the pass to them was executed.
That part of it's deployment certainly needs re-assessing and the recording of such moments need to be to the highest technological specifications available. Watching those lines being drawn and dragged across to a players toe or elbow to determine whether a vitally important goal should stand is pure farce.

It's so inconsistent. A goal can be disallowed if there's a foul in the build up. But a corner is awarded when it should be a goal kick, if a goal is scored from the corner it's not checked.
It's a fucking disaster

Goal line technology, yes VAR no. It’s killing the game. Better to let the occasional fine line decision go against you than ruin each and every game.
Used to be that when a goal went in I would take a quick look at the linesman and if his flag was down that was it. The game flowed, as it is meant to do and the crowds went wild at a goal, as they are meant to do.
Now, the excitement is just being taken out of the game, so, VAR is killing the game.

Some players are just getting clever with it. But even on a second viewing you could see Vardy instigate "contact" by grabbing Sanchez's arm before throwing himself. Disgrace.
Vardy fouls Sanchez if anything then throws himself over he does it all the time. Even the Toby one he sees Toby's leg coming out an makes sure he goes over it

That second penalty yesterday was just ridiculous. The fact that they didn't even question the initial call is just ridiculous. Sanchez didn't even put in a challenge! They should have pulled that one back and booked Vardy for simulation.

It's just remarkable. I thought VAR would at least be useful in discouraging simulation, but how wrong I was.

They don’t even have retrospective action. The level of cheating was such he should have got a 3-5 game ban starting next season but nothing happens. VAR doesn’t solve the problems it was suppose to but instead creates other problems.

The implementation has been a shitshow.

Last edited:
VAR what is it good for
absolutely nothing
say it again

VAR ain’t nothing but a heartbreaker
VAR friend to footballs undertaker
Matches are to short to have VAR everyday
VAR can’t bring joy it can only take it away

I’m talking about VAR VAR VAR

Last edited:
Any VAR decision including offsides should have a maximum of 30 -45 seconds to make a call , if you can’t decide in that time it’s not clear and obvious. Better still bin it
Nah that'll just lead to even more contentious decisions.

VAR can be good it's just that the FA/Premier League don't want to bring in the transparency to make it effective.

Make refs accountable. Let us listen to their discussions. Maybe even make the video ref an ex-player (although that would probably lead to instances of bias being accused).

I still celebrate all goals as if they're fine. If they're ruled out, then they're ruled out but I don't wait to see. I go mental as usual and then deal with any aftermath.

Any VAR decision including offsides should have a maximum of 30 -45 seconds to make a call , if you can’t decide in that time it’s not clear and obvious. Better still bin it

Doesn't need that.
Have a look at the replay - if you need to draw a line on the screen to see if some one is offside - don't -give the goal immediately.
That's how the linesmen did it for decades.

Also - they have started advising lino's to leave their flags down until the play has finished. At that point they check VAR if a goal was scored.
Against Burnley (and many other times) we have been through on goal only to get flagged immediately and incorrectly. Our chance was stopped because of a bad lino flagging an onside player offside too soon.
IMO, they should check those and, if a team was in on goal and the chance was stopped, bring it back and give a direct free kick. It's not as good (especially for us) as a one on one, but you can't have good chances being blocked by bad refs.

Back
Top Bottom