VAR

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has VAR Ruined Football?

• Total voters
It is the death of the sport and must be eliminated root-and-branch.

Come back when an offside can be alerted to the referee instantly via wristwatch a la goal line technology. The tech is not at a place yet where it doesn't make a mockery of the game.

It should have done a great job stopping the likes of Man U and Liverpool constantly getting refs favours. But it's just made the game unenjoyable to watch

At least it sounds like Howard Webb is trying to approach it differently. He spoke the other Saturday on sky about not having to use it as much. Trouble is, when there’s human error (intentional or not) it just proves the current implementation of it doesn’t work.
It's not just human error though.

There still the human so there's still bias. That could be for/against a team or even for/against the on field referee.

And worse than that even is the human's idea of how to implement the rules. Offside should never be decided in inches.

The goal canceled by Vlahovic, by tenths of a millimetre. Shit semi-auto offside
Dusan-Vlahovic-ofsajd-Juventus-Fiorentina.jpeg

We want to see more goals, not ones disallowed because the attacker's little toe nail is off side.
If the officials on the pitch aren't up to the job, then get officials trained up properly so that they are.
I appreciate that the game is fast and there's cameras everywhere, so every decision is analysed to death. How about a ref in each half? Anything has to better than VAR.

I think what all this shows is what kind of personality referees have.
They're narcissistic and want to impose strict rules. They want o be seen to be in charge.
Any fan. Any player. Any coach. Anyone other than referee's will say that we DON'T want goals ruled out for limbs. Or for inches.
The player is not getting any advantage.
The only thing that is happening is games getting slowed down, fans joy being taken away, players being left irritated and demotivated.
Take offside out of VAR or use a simple "if I need to draw a line to see if some one is offside, give the goal, move in" tactic.
If it doesn't immediately look offside, it's onside. I would bet the vast majority of football fans would agree that is best. For or against. Just to let us celebrate a goal again. Quite often, we, even at the back of the south east upper can tell when there "might" be an offside. Let's not wait 5 minutes for a few mm to check.

Of course, we the paying fans who make football a world wide money making business have no fucking say!

If a goal is given then i dont think VAR should be checking CM's for offside, maybe they should just use it for if a goal is ruled out by the Lino but the player is on, then VAR should overrule it and allow the goal?
They also need to mike up the VAR officials and play the conversations they are having with the ref to everyone!
I honestly think VAR is corrupt as fuck! It really is a case of VAR checking club badge over anything else!
Problem is the Lino's have been instructed not to flag.

If they do flag an argument could be raised that the defence stopped in the belief that the whistle would be blown. (Play to the whistle, I know)

It was a good idea in theory but it's become unworkable now

Absolutely.

VAR hasn't eliminated incorrect decisions, it's just shifted them from the clear & obvious mistakes to the marginal errors - but the errors are still there. So let's just go back to the old mistakes and get rid of the life-sapping hold-ups.

Problem is the Lino's have been instructed not to flag.

If they do flag an argument could be raised that the defence stopped in the belief that the whistle would be blown. (Play to the whistle, I know)

It was a good idea in theory but it's become unworkable now

I actually like the new rule whereby the lino doesn't flag and stop play.
Before this rule, I used to get irritated that play was stopped when a player wasn't offside. People talk about goals being ruled out, but they don't talk about the times goals were prevented in the first place.

The problem with it, is, like everything else at the moment, it's being implemented in a daft way. If a player is blatantly offside, flag ffs. It should only ever be used in tight situations. If they're not going to flag when a guy is obviously 10 yards offside, don't even bother having a lino.

I appreciate that, but they're following rules set by the ref association(s)

They're the ones that need to be told what fans what to see. They're the ones that need to say enough is enough, fans don't want goals being disallowed for tiny fractions, that's not what the rule was intended for. Offside was only ever intended to stop teams leaving a man in the penalty box all match goal hanging.

Abso-fucking-lutely.

This pouring over pixel perfect lines and shit is just sapping the spirit and fun of the game. Ruling out goals on technicalities, and spending ages over finding a reason to overturn them - what does this actually add to the game? If it's so close that you need to draw lines on the pitch then it's onside. IMO it should only be offside if there's a clear gap between the attacker and defender. Bodyparts don't count, it's fucking absurd micromanaging of a rule which is being distorted into something it's not meant for.

Football is meant to be fun, it's why we pay so much to see it. Measuring a players nosehairs on extreme closeup might be fun for the guys in the VAR room, in the stadium sitting around waiting to see if we're allowed to celebrate isn't.

VAR is a good addition to the game to weed out the cheating ref’s and stop them backing the team they support. But when you give the job of VAR operator to the same dumb biased ref’s you clearly have a problem.
I think this week we have made a step forward, by punishing the VAR man after an almighty fuck up on the weekend.
They clearly have a pact to back each other and their decisions to stop them looking like they made a balls up, but by making them accountable they may think twice now and give the correct decision despite upsetting their mates or the team they support.

Easy ways to make VAR better:

1. A completely distinct set of officials who work only on VAR. It is not right that the same pool of officials rotate between being on the grass and being in the VAR room.

2. 30 second time limit to decide whether to send the referee to the monitor. Let the referee decide how much time to spend analysing a decision, not the VAR.

3. We should be able to hear all communication between the referee and the VAR and stadium screens should show replays like on TV.

What I hate most about VAR is that we get assistant referees taking 5 minutes to decide something while the actual referee is standing on the pitch doing nothing. If an official is going to re-referee the game, it should be the actual referee and not the VAR. I feel bad for the referees on the pitch because once a VAR has taken 5 minutes just to send the referee to the monitor, there is huge pressure on the referee to make a quick decision just to get the game restarted. The VAR should be making lightning fast interventions on clear and obvious errors, asking the referee to confirm their original decision. Not taking 5 minutes to re-referee the decision the other way and then forcing the ref to agree.

I didn’t want to piss and moan in a perfectly good game thread, so I thought I’d go here.

VAR is garbage. I’m convinced that Richarlison is onside and that’s one of the dumbest calls we’ve seen. But im also flabbergasted that they gave a penalty for the Kulusevski handball. Like one week we have a clear shout for a handball where a player cuts a pass out for a scoring chance and they review this and decide it’s not intentional, so no penalty. This week it’s a penalty, but clearly not intentional.

And using this for offsides has just been so stupid since day one. I don’t know if it should a rolling video they have to use, and no-freeze frame, or what the solution is at this point. I’d settle for the officials making a call, making mistakes and just eliminating VAR though. It’s not like it’s fixing anything.

Honestly, it’s a complete disgrace. Just farcical.
My hope would be that since the introduction of VAR there should be some realisation by now that certain rules in football are about interpretation, which by its very definition means there is a possibility for inconsistency when giving a decision. It should also now be established that humans make mistakes on offsides etc that on occasion an offence is committed that they might not have seen it. But VAR should have by now highlighted that it hasn't fixed this, that VAR is also run by humans, so those exact interpretations of law will still mean there are inconsistencies and that they still get decisions (offside etc) wrong.

The hope is VAR has educated people that even tech hasn't solved these issues. If I wanted to prove to people that mistakes and interpretations happen in football then I would have invented VAR as part of the exercise to prove this theory and call it a success.

Apologies should be given for the waste of time experienced by fans, especially those paying to be at the stadiums. But the experiment should be called off. Let us still rage at decisions officials get wrong, even the ones they get right, but at least the game goes on, no stoppage for 5 ludicrous minutes, no-kill joys taking out the euphoric feeling and that joy when your team scores.

The technology isn’t good enough
This is my biggest issue with it. They are trying to measure down to the millimeter when the freeze frame can be blurred across inches. You are taking a subjective guess and making it an objective data point. There's no benefit in that over using your eye to judge in a situation such as Richy's one. It's farcical and creates ill feeling among fans watching on the TV as well as in the staium.

Cant believe that pen decision looking again, zero contact. Southampton player flying in like a clown
And it's not overturned.

Thinking back to last week, I've seen stills of that richarlison goal and he's clearly onside, behind the play, level at the very worse but var rules it out .

Something very corrupt going on in this League, not sure if it will ever get exposed unfortunately
Would be nice to hear the views of some ref´s on this forum, we should have some!

I don´t know the rules, but can you actually get a penalty for intention??? Because there were no touch at all in that situation!

I´m fucking fuming, aren´t these people fucking ashamed of themselves? Because it must be know to the F.A., PGMOL, and SKY by now that we fans now know they are corrupt. Will anyone do ANYTHING about it???

I don't care enough to check what happens with other teams. But are other teams getting fucked badly on a weekly basis too?

Seems to be every week or at least every other week when it comes to us. Whether it's decisions that are given as offside when they're not. Or things not given as offside. Penalty decisions that shouldn't be given and penalties that should. Fouls in build ups that aren't given etc.

There's been way too many decisions for other teams which were clearly incorrect. West Ham have got away with a couple of blatant penalties, Woolwich have scored a couple of goals with offside players, United scored with Rashford interfering with play, and so on. Woolwich have also been robbed themselves a couple of times. Howard Webb came out and said two decisions were wrong, costing one ref his job in the process.

I'm not sure "currupt" is right though. Don't forget that Romero should have gone for pulling Cucarella's hair...

I think the use of it is ultimately incompetence more than anything, and highlights how poor the refereeing is. It's hard not to make the case that we are being stitched up though with how much it goes against us!

Back
Top Bottom