VAR

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has VAR Ruined Football?

• Total voters
I still think some one completely un-associated with the on field officials should be on VAR, calling them out for it. Absolutely no buddy club and no way for anyone to pull rank.

I also think if the on field refs keep missing things that VAR give, then ultimately the ref isn't up to it and needs to be dropped.

I still think some one completely un-associated with the on field officials should be on VAR, calling them out for it. Absolutely no buddy club and no way for anyone to pull rank.

I also think if the on field refs keep missing things that VAR give, then ultimately the ref isn't up to it and needs to be dropped.
Who manages when the VAR doesn't give something it should have though?

If they don't say the decision is wrong within a few seconds then the original decision should stand.
But the referees in England are deliberately trying to sabotage VAR.

It is the death of the sport and must be eliminated root-and-branch.

Come back when an offside can be alerted to the referee instantly via wristwatch a la goal line technology. The tech is not at a place yet where it doesn't make a mockery of the game.

It is the death of the sport and must be eliminated root-and-branch.

Come back when an offside can be alerted to the referee instantly via wristwatch a la goal line technology. The tech is not at a place yet where it doesn't make a mockery of the game.
I get what you are saying but offside should not be decided by inches.
The whole point of offside is to deter "goal hanging"
The rule was not introduced to rule out goals by centimetres.

I get what you are saying but offside should not be decided by inches.
The whole point of offside is to deter "goal hanging"
The rule was not introduced to rule out goals by centimetres.
I absolutely agree, any technological imposition of the offside rule is not justly imposing the intent of the law (nevermind some technical notion of "precision") if there is not a significant margin for human judgment imposed.

And by the way, all of this is mediated by the television presentation of the game, which carries on with the the scientifically false notion that these questions can be accurately discerned by a freeze-frame image.

This all flows from a forgetting of the reality that the game is an entertainment product for which the fans are the patrons. Start from a firm grounding there and the right answers reveal themselves very clearly.

It should have done a great job stopping the likes of Man U and Liverpool constantly getting refs favours. But it's just made the game unenjoyable to watch

I want to know why City didn't have that penalty overturned yesterday. Grealish is a diving, leg trailing cunt. The same tactic got Romero a second yellow the other week.

At least it sounds like Howard Webb is trying to approach it differently. He spoke the other Saturday on sky about not having to use it as much. Trouble is, when there’s human error (intentional or not) it just proves the current implementation of it doesn’t work.

At least it sounds like Howard Webb is trying to approach it differently. He spoke the other Saturday on sky about not having to use it as much. Trouble is, when there’s human error (intentional or not) it just proves the current implementation of it doesn’t work.
It's not just human error though.

There still the human so there's still bias. That could be for/against a team or even for/against the on field referee.

And worse than that even is the human's idea of how to implement the rules. Offside should never be decided in inches.

It should have done a great job stopping the likes of Man U and Liverpool constantly getting refs favours. But it's just made the game unenjoyable to watch
People thought it would stop diving but its encouraged it, ref blows and let's var decide and any contact on var justifies refs decision.

It's shit and always will be imo

People thought it would stop diving but its encouraged it, ref blows and let's var decide and any contact on var justifies refs decision.

It's shit and always will be imo
Ref's do less now. They just meander around the pitch waiting for the voice in the earpeice.
Slows the game down to a crawl, lowers the standard of onfield refs and sucks the life out of it for us fans.

Ref's do less now. They just meander around the pitch waiting for the voice in the earpeice.
Slows the game down to a crawl, lowers the standard of onfield refs and sucks the life out of it for us fans.
It was always going to be the case, it's not just the PL every league has issues.

VAR takes away more than it gives

Back
Top Bottom