VAR

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has VAR Ruined Football?

• Total voters
The trouble with VAR is that the people viewing it and making decisions are the same lot of useless cunts who run around on the pitch with a whistle up their arse

Exactly. The guy who fucked up in the palace brighton game is the same guy who was the ref in our game on new years day against Villa and was utterly useless that day. Some of them are just terrible officials.

I still think all referees should be foreign.

British refs declare their teams to prevent them having any conflicts when officiating teams games.
But there's direct bias and indirect.
You'd expect an Woolwich fan to be classed as conflicted. But a West Ham fan would also be inclined to do our rivals a favour.
You also get inexplicable hatred. A Leicester fan could hate us and no one would know why.

VAR!
In the Bundesliga they could actually demand entertainment tax from the spectators!
Apparently former referees who have a damp apartment at home were taken on!

Of course you could work with VAR - but those who are currently working (here in the Bundesliga) can't do it!
Apparently that doesn't seem to be different in the PL either?!

And if it doesn't work, then it should be abolished.

VAR!
In the Bundesliga they could actually demand entertainment tax from the spectators!
Apparently former referees who have a damp apartment at home were taken on!

Of course you could work with VAR - but those who are currently working (here in the Bundesliga) can't do it!
Apparently that doesn't seem to be different in the PL either?!

And if it doesn't work, then it should be abolished.
Just wanted to highlight this as people think it's PL only (often pointing to BL as who we should copy)

VAR costs more than it gives

The goal canceled by Vlahovic, by tenths of a millimetre. Shit semi-auto offside
Dusan-Vlahovic-ofsajd-Juventus-Fiorentina.jpeg

We want to see more goals, not ones disallowed because the attacker's little toe nail is off side.
If the officials on the pitch aren't up to the job, then get officials trained up properly so that they are.
I appreciate that the game is fast and there's cameras everywhere, so every decision is analysed to death. How about a ref in each half? Anything has to better than VAR.

We want to see more goals, not ones disallowed because the attacker's little toe nail is off side.
If the officials on the pitch aren't up to the job, then get officials trained up properly so that they are.
I appreciate that the game is fast and there's cameras everywhere, so every decision is analysed to death. How about a ref in each half? Anything has to better than VAR.
You know what is the kicker, there was never a groundswell for var. Mostly people were against but one had it 55ish positive and that was the change.

Just move it back and at least we can enjoy live, errors are happening regardless.

VAR has significantly reduced my enjoyment and interest in football. I don't think it's something I will ever learn to live with.

It's ruined the sport.

The goal canceled by Vlahovic, by tenths of a millimetre. Shit semi-auto offside
Dusan-Vlahovic-ofsajd-Juventus-Fiorentina.jpeg

I think what all this shows is what kind of personality referees have.
They're narcissistic and want to impose strict rules. They want o be seen to be in charge.
Any fan. Any player. Any coach. Anyone other than referee's will say that we DON'T want goals ruled out for limbs. Or for inches.
The player is not getting any advantage.
The only thing that is happening is games getting slowed down, fans joy being taken away, players being left irritated and demotivated.
Take offside out of VAR or use a simple "if I need to draw a line to see if some one is offside, give the goal, move in" tactic.
If it doesn't immediately look offside, it's onside. I would bet the vast majority of football fans would agree that is best. For or against. Just to let us celebrate a goal again. Quite often, we, even at the back of the south east upper can tell when there "might" be an offside. Let's not wait 5 minutes for a few mm to check.

Of course, we the paying fans who make football a world wide money making business have no fucking say!

I think what all this shows is what kind of personality referees have.
They're narcissistic and want to impose strict rules. They want o be seen to be in charge.
Any fan. Any player. Any coach. Anyone other than referee's will say that we DON'T want goals ruled out for limbs. Or for inches.
The player is not getting any advantage.
The only thing that is happening is games getting slowed down, fans joy being taken away, players being left irritated and demotivated.
Take offside out of VAR or use a simple "if I need to draw a line to see if some one is offside, give the goal, move in" tactic.
If it doesn't immediately look offside, it's onside. I would bet the vast majority of football fans would agree that is best. For or against. Just to let us celebrate a goal again. Quite often, we, even at the back of the south east upper can tell when there "might" be an offside. Let's not wait 5 minutes for a few mm to check.

Of course, we the paying fans who make football a world wide money making business have no fucking say!
Refs get marked, if they don't follow the rules strictly they have to explain why and probably get marked down - that's also why they follow strict rules, if we want it changed need to update the assessment of them to produce those results

Exactly. The guy who fucked up in the palace brighton game is the same guy who was the ref in our game on new years day against Villa and was utterly useless that day. Some of them are just terrible officials.

No surprise the other fuckup with Woolwich was Lee Mason, a legendarily bad referee. Shit referees should not be demoted to VAR-only duty, they should be told to find another line of work.

Refs get marked, if they don't follow the rules strictly they have to explain why and probably get marked down - that's also why they follow strict rules, if we want it changed need to update the assessment of them to produce those results
I appreciate that, but they're following rules set by the ref association(s)

They're the ones that need to be told what fans what to see. They're the ones that need to say enough is enough, fans don't want goals being disallowed for tiny fractions, that's not what the rule was intended for. Offside was only ever intended to stop teams leaving a man in the penalty box all match goal hanging.

And still the issue remains that there is no reliable way to tell the exact moment the pass was played, IE, the actual touch on the ball. So if we're measuring a player as being an inch offside, to go to that narrow of a margin, you HAVE to be able to say, without any doubt, when the ball was kicked.
The only time that may not apply, is if the offside player was previously further offside and was attempting to run back onside when the ball was kicked.

I appreciate that, but they're following rules set by the ref association(s)

They're the ones that need to be told what fans what to see. They're the ones that need to say enough is enough, fans don't want goals being disallowed for tiny fractions, that's not what the rule was intended for. Offside was only ever intended to stop teams leaving a man in the penalty box all match goal hanging.
Absolutely.

VAR hasn't eliminated incorrect decisions, it's just shifted them from the clear & obvious mistakes to the marginal errors - but the errors are still there. So let's just go back to the old mistakes and get rid of the life-sapping hold-ups.

Back
Top Bottom