VAR

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has VAR Ruined Football?

• Total voters
Had a look for a threat about VAR specifically but didn't see anything.

Merge with another thread if I've missed it but this is about VAR across the board not just in our matches.

Yesterday against Leicester the ref didn't give the first penalty to Leicester despite looking right at it and it being blatant. VAR took 1-2 minutes to stop play and award it. Similar to the City one a few years ago. This is unacceptable. What if a player gets his leg broken in the dead space between the incident and the penalty.
Then the ref immediately blew for a penalty for the 2nd one when it wasn't a penalty in a month of fucking Sundays. Yet VAR didn't over rule it. Hmm.
Then a Leicester player pushes the ball out for a corner with his arm depriving Moura a potential tap in, VAR doesn't even check it.
Kane handles in the build up to a goal, goal given. Can't complain but had it been disallowed, can't see any complaints.

Then we go to the Leeds and the Villa matches. Kane has a fantastic goal ruled out for offside using an image that obscures the ball completely when it was played but they can tell he was a mm offside? Let's not forget either the frame rate is so poor they have no idea when a ball is kicked but they're making offside calls on mm margins. Fuck sake stop it.

Against Villa in contrast, the linesman incorrect flagged Son offside, uphold by the referee when Son was in acres of space to score. Also flagged Bale offside when he wasn't and we should have had a corner.

The introduction of VAR was meant to make the game fairer but it's got worse than ever. The on field officials don't know what they're doing and the VAR plebs are the same bunch of idiots.

I'd like to use this thread to highlight all the ludicrous decisions going forward.
I'd also love to the fans to be given a voice with VAR as it hasn't worked and it's spoiled the game beyond anything I could have imagined. I can no longer feel any emotion when a goal is scored as you know the spoil sports are looking for ways to disallow it.

There was another thread, think it was called video assistant referee. Var is shite. I've said it's good for red cards/off the ball incidents. Not much else, should only be used for offside if the linesman has a Stevie wonder moment for an offside, but that never happened in the past either

There was another thread, think it was called video assistant referee. Var is shite. I've said it's good for red cards/off the ball incidents. Not much else, should only be used for offside if the linesman has a Stevie wonder moment for an offside, but that never happened in the past either
It's almost as if the fundamental attraction of football has been lost on the VAR team.
We want MORE goals, not less. We don't want them ruling everything out.

We absolutely DON'T want to have the enjoyment of scoring a goal sucked out of us because we know it'll be checked. And this can't just affect the fans. The players look less overjoyed when they score these days.

Bin it off for offside, sort the linos out. Have 4, 1 on each quarter of the pitch. Both flag - offside. Any less, onside. And live with the outcome.

You need to make this into another poll!
Do people think VAR has made the game better or worse?
For me, waaay worse. Mostly for that celebrating reason. Yesterday I actually celebrated a goal and then they looked at the handball. I didn't bother then celebrating the fourth goal. This wasn't part of the plan

It's poison. There is no reforming it, as it springs from a fundamentally false notion of what the game is.
I don't agree, but I do believe that they have proved that they have zero appetite for reform, or even introspection on any fucking level whatsoever. I've said before that when VAR was first introduced I seriously thought that the rules were so bad that they were honestly self-sabotaging VAR so they could be justified in retracting it. Then it just kept going and they never learned anything or tried to improve anything.

The league has more or less adopted the position that they invent the rules for VAR on the fly, and to suit the attitude of the on-field referee.

VAR in this league is run by a pack of clowns.

I don't agree, but I do believe that they have proved that they have zero appetite for reform, or even introspection on any fucking level whatsoever. I've said before that when VAR was first introduced I seriously thought that the rules were so bad that they were honestly self-sabotaging VAR so they could be justified in retracting it. Then it just kept going and they never learned anything or tried to improve anything.

The league has more or less adopted the position that they invent the rules for VAR on the fly, and to suit the attitude of the on-field referee.

VAR in this league is run by a pack of clowns.
Exactly. The people who are misusing the VAR system are bringing about this condemnation of the part it has to play in modern football.

VAR was never intended to either work or not work, it is simply meant to provide referees with an alternative viewpoint of an incident from which they can (hopefully) make a better judged decision. If supporters think that decision is wrong then the blame should be directed at the match officials for making it, not a monitor. I cannot count the number of times I have watched a ref stick to his original decision despite overwhelming contrary evidence from the pitch side screen simply because he doesn't want his reputation tarnished or pride hurt.

The only problem I have with it is the manner in which offside is assessed. When you are watching at home and seeing 500 frames per second and then having the ref look at the same incident at 50 frames per second you realise what a false impression such images project. Far too much attention spent on where the attacking player is rather than the exact moment that the pass to them was executed.
That part of it's deployment certainly needs re-assessing and the recording of such moments need to be to the highest technological specifications available. Watching those lines being drawn and dragged across to a players toe or elbow to determine whether a vitally important goal should stand is pure farce.

If VAR is here to stay it has to ref the games itself with the Referee just implementing where the ball sits for a foul and to give out cards because at the moment the ref is relying on VAR to bail them out and VAR cannot interfere with a Referee decision .
Surely the ball in and out of play should be a VAR decision to make sure its correct?

Vardy diving and winning pens all season shows what a disaster VAR has been
That second penalty yesterday was just ridiculous. The fact that they didn't even question the initial call is just ridiculous. Sanchez didn't even put in a challenge! They should have pulled that one back and booked Vardy for simulation.

It's just remarkable. I thought VAR would at least be useful in discouraging simulation, but how wrong I was.

Some players are just getting clever with it. But even on a second viewing you could see Vardy instigate "contact" by grabbing Sanchez's arm before throwing himself. Disgrace.

It will never be taken away now as it allows FIFA/UEFA the opportunity to micro-manage corruption and match-fixing in games

Not sure how VAR allowed Bale's first goal but didn't allow Fulham's goal against us for the exact same thing.
More time between the hand and the goal gives the option not to give it.

"Immediately after touching the ball with the arm, even accidentally, the player scores a goal or creates a goal-scoring opportunity."

Lots of grey in immediately

It's so inconsistent. A goal can be disallowed if there's a foul in the build up. But a corner is awarded when it should be a goal kick, if a goal is scored from the corner it's not checked.
It's a fucking disaster

Goal line technology, yes VAR no. It’s killing the game. Better to let the occasional fine line decision go against you than ruin each and every game.
Used to be that when a goal went in I would take a quick look at the linesman and if his flag was down that was it. The game flowed, as it is meant to do and the crowds went wild at a goal, as they are meant to do.
Now, the excitement is just being taken out of the game, so, VAR is killing the game.

Goal line technology, yes VAR no. It’s killing the game. Better to let the occasional fine line decision go against you than ruin each and every game.
Used to be that when a goal went in I would take a quick look at the linesman and if his flag was down that was it. The game flowed, as it is meant to do and the crowds went wild at a goal, as they are meant to do.
Now, the excitement is just being taken out of the game, so, VAR is killing the game.
Exactly. If you can't celebrate a goal is there even any point in football?

Some players are just getting clever with it. But even on a second viewing you could see Vardy instigate "contact" by grabbing Sanchez's arm before throwing himself. Disgrace.
Vardy fouls Sanchez if anything then throws himself over he does it all the time. Even the Toby one he sees Toby's leg coming out an makes sure he goes over it

That second penalty yesterday was just ridiculous. The fact that they didn't even question the initial call is just ridiculous. Sanchez didn't even put in a challenge! They should have pulled that one back and booked Vardy for simulation.

It's just remarkable. I thought VAR would at least be useful in discouraging simulation, but how wrong I was.

They don’t even have retrospective action. The level of cheating was such he should have got a 3-5 game ban starting next season but nothing happens. VAR doesn’t solve the problems it was suppose to but instead creates other problems.

The implementation has been a shitshow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom