Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Still the worst thing about that wasn't even the handball. It was the push in the back, a foul on him whilst jumping, that caused him to raise his arm and for the ball to hit it. Incredible whilst VAR was reviewing if it should be a pen that they fail to spot the foul!!!!!
The VAR team controls the video that the referee sees on the sideline, and they only showed the moment of ball to hand. If the referee had been shown the longer tape he might have seen the push that sent Dier's arm upwards. From what the referee was shown, and based on the rules at the time, he didn't have a choice but to give the penalty. The failure was firmly on the VAR team not showing him enough to make the fuller decision

Pr
Problem is they wont admit theyre wrong so keep doubling down on VAR
You're right; in trying to create respect for referees they've done the opposite by taking away any accountability. I'm not saying they should have to go on camera to explain their decisions (as much as I would love that) but managers and players should be allowed to say when they think the referee has made a wrong call without fear of a disrepute charge.

The VAR team controls the video that the referee sees on the sideline, and they only showed the moment of ball to hand. If the referee had been shown the longer tape he might have seen the push that sent Dier's arm upwards. From what the referee was shown, and based on the rules at the time, he didn't have a choice but to give the penalty. The failure was firmly on the VAR team not showing him enough to make the fuller decision
Is that a VAR official being biased? If i was sat there i know id be thinking twice bout giving woolwich dippers or chavs anything. Are these guys vetted

No, the problem is that almost every decision is ridiculous. Despite the authorities pretending otherwise, there's no recognizable consistent policy.

For every game that's stopped every ten seconds to consult with VAR, there's another of equal controversy where they just wave play on despite clear possible foul play.

They make up the rule book as they go, stopping play for three minutes at a time while they draw fake lines to determine if a player's sleeve is offside.

They've somehow come up with literally the worst imaginable implementation of VAR.
Agree almost totally. My only caveat to your post is that I'm totally in favour of VAR when it helps us - as it has done recently.

Spent a little bit of time reading exactly how VAR is supposed to be implemented by The FA and PGMOL.

It is quite clear that it's intended use is:

- To aid the on field officials with missed incidents. Example - Brighton penalty on Saturday - however soft it worked well in this example.

- To make factual decisions such as offside and whether a foul is inside or outside the area. In this respect it is true to say that, by and large, this leaves it open to question when people are judged offside on the basis of an armpit or whatever. The rules have to, in my opinion, be changed for offside as by The FA's own admission there is no room for wiggle on how they implement offside using VAR.

It is a positive step that the referee can now go and take a look at the monitor as well, though we've already seen, against Brighton that pride comes before a fall.

I've slavered on enough but I basically hate VAR for the most part and would sooner get it to fuck.

However, in the event that we're likely stuck with it, the laws themselves have to change and be absolutely clear for it to work properly.

It's a fair point but even in those replays, he could have seen the push surely?

I know that he's also just reviewing the handball, just like the Lucas handball when he was pushed to the ground but it's just yet another farse that VAR presents us with.

It's a fair point but even in those replays, he could have seen the push surely?

I know that he's also just reviewing the handball, just like the Lucas handball when he was pushed to the ground but it's just yet another farse that VAR presents us with.
No I noticed at the time, the part the referee was shown on the video was after the push only. They showed repeatedly the ball hitting his arm but nothing of the contact with Lascelles.

EoGlwZQW4AArhPa

People actually think this is good, that has enhanced the game.

It was funny at the weekend because Liverpool were finally getting their comeuppance but ultimately it’s shit and as bad as the officials were before this it was better then. It will be even worse when we are back in the stadiums not knowing whether we can celebrate goals or not.

I dont agree. Tired of being on the receiveing end of shit decisions. I now have more confidence that we get the results we deserve (bar newcastle)

Every decision was the right decision in the Liverpool game.

Back
Top Bottom