Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Im pretty sure by next year or the year after everything will be ironed out and its fine.

It is a big change, and people like a good moan. It needs time to settle in.

The benefits are massive for a club like us. One that never gets the big decisions against more successful teams. We would not have got to the CL final without VAR. We would not have beaten city had that goal been overturned last week. The Chelsea goal also got over turned. You wouldnt get those decisions normally. Football seems much fairer.

EoGlwZQW4AArhPa

People actually think this is good, that has enhanced the game.
Whats daft is, Watkins was pushed into the offside position.
I've been saying for ages...if we must have this rubbish, make it the players feet.

I dont agree. Tired of being on the receiveing end of shit decisions. I now have more confidence that we get the results we deserve (bar newcastle)

Every decision was the right decision in the Liverpool game.

Im talking about being in the ground and not knowing if I can celebrate 100% because some dick a hundred miles away has seen a non foul. It stopped me wanting to go to games pre lockdown because the fun of celebrating was removed.

The problem is that if you bring in VAR you have to be precise, then people complain about 1mm decisions. Even if you have a 10cm buffer people will still complain that it's 1mm over the 10cm buffer. You can't draw measurement and not have a specific number in the rule... you can't leave this open to interpretation as it'll cause all the same problems. Oh you let that one go but you pulled up this one... waaah...

We can all look at a call which was clearly 1 yard off, and one which was a toenail off, but it's the ones in the middle that are, say 1ft off. Do you let that go? What about the one that's 6 inches off... where's your tolerance for saying go with the on field call? No matter which way you look at it you're going to have to draw a line, figuratively and literally.

If you move it to feet only then that would be a positive move, as then we don't have the issue of leaning forward, where does the shoulder stop and the arm start etc., that would be an improvement. But you will still get 1mm offsides and disallowing goals.

They should also return to allowing the on field officials to call it live, rather than telling them to keep the flag down until the play resolves. I get what they're trying to do but you can't go with the onfield decision when the onfield decision has been suppressed by the VAR looming!

Whats daft is, Watkins was pushed into the offside position.
I've been saying for ages...if we must have this rubbish, make it the players feet.
But even with players feet where is the advantage gained for the attacker when it's this marginal? The defender has no idea if the attacker is offside, so he is still trying to do his job and defend, the attacker doesn't have the advantage here as he also doesn't know he's offside (impossible for either of them to know) so he continues to play.

The only people this benefits are for those who wash and iron their rubbish before they fold it into exact 6 inch by 6 inch squares before they put it into the bin.

The problem is that if you bring in VAR you have to be precise, then people complain about 1mm decisions. Even if you have a 10cm buffer people will still complain that it's 1mm over the 10cm buffer. You can't draw measurement and not have a specific number in the rule... you can't leave this open to interpretation as it'll cause all the same problems. Oh you let that one go but you pulled up this one... waaah...

We can all look at a call which was clearly 1 yard off, and one which was a toenail off, but it's the ones in the middle that are, say 1ft off. Do you let that go? What about the one that's 6 inches off... where's your tolerance for saying go with the on field call? No matter which way you look at it you're going to have to draw a line, figuratively and literally.

If you move it to feet only then that would be a positive move, as then we don't have the issue of leaning forward, where does the shoulder stop and the arm start etc., that would be an improvement. But you will still get 1mm offsides and disallowing goals.

They should also return to allowing the on field officials to call it live, rather than telling them to keep the flag down until the play resolves. I get what they're trying to do but you can't go with the onfield decision when the onfield decision has been suppressed by the VAR looming!

Just have to accept it. Decisions are now miniscule. Because we have the tech to do it.

Doesnt bother me. As long as its the right decision.

Its offside. i dont see what the problem is?

People were moaning about mendes from the halfway line. Now every decision is accurate and people are still moaning. What do you actually want?
There is no advantage gained by the attacker. There is no advantage gained by the defender. BOTH of them have absolutely no idea if it's onside or offside, so both are continuing to play, the attacker wins the duel and scores.

No one can celebrate the goal, the spontaneous joy that only a goal can bring. We wait for minutes for a forensic measurement that the naked eye can't spot.

I am deep worried for anyone who actual wants this, who actually thinks this is great for the game.

Mendes ruled out goal has NOTHING to do with VAR. We have goal-line technology in play for that now, which is absolutely fine with me as it is immediate.

We work out what the margin of error is with the technology and offsides given camera angles, frame rates ect. We then return to the linesman giving his opinion. If the offside is within the margin of error, we use linesman's call.

hzj3xHx.png

The Offsides Rule should be based on the position of the feet, IMO. None of this "your elbow/shirt sleeve was off by a millimeter".

A poacher should be able to hang off the back of a defender. In my world this would be on-side and not even worth talking about.

EoGlwZQW4AArhPa

People actually think this is good, that has enhanced the game.

This so a good opportunity to ask the question that they haven't answered.

At what point when the player passes the ball is the "offside" to be looked at? Is it when he 1st makes contact with the ball? When the ball is no longer in contact woth the player?

If you're going to measure millimetres then the split second difference between when you pause the image will make all of the difference.

This so a good opportunity to ask the question that they haven't answered.

At what point when the player passes the ball is the "offside" to be looked at? Is it when he 1st makes contact with the ball? When the ball is no longer in contact woth the player?

If you're going to measure millimetres then the split second difference between when you pause the image will make all of the difference.
Many have been asking just this question for a while. The other ridiculous thing is, if VAR is taking this much detail into the line drawn at the point of offisde then you simply have to to the same when the ball is kicked (and as you said have a ruling as to what constitutes the measurement of contact with the ball). If a player can be 1cm offside the that 1cm is totally inaccurate if there is no measurement taken at the kick of the ball.

AND...............we haven't even got into the speed of frame rate yet.

Basically for all the pant and sock ironers out there, who want this, you would suspect that they feel totally conned that the measurements used are bogus.

Get rid of the fucking thing, it's taking the piss out of fans who want it AND those that don't.

I think there is no way of implementing VAR for offside decisions. You can resolve the accuracy issue with faster cameras, and more of them. You can resolve the armpit issue with a rule change. What you can't resolve is that it is slow, and this kills the "moment of joy" when scoring.

The only resolution would be an automated system like the goal line tech, which gives an instant decision.

In the mean time, I think VAR has a lot to offer in terms of penalties and red cards, but it should stop there. There are a number of rule improvements needed here but it feels like we could get to a fair system, especially if it had a "coach's challenge" limitation.

I think there is no way of implementing VAR for offside decisions. You can resolve the accuracy issue with faster cameras, and more of them. You can resolve the armpit issue with a rule change. What you can't resolve is that it is slow, and this kills the "moment of joy" when scoring.

The only resolution would be an automated system like the goal line tech, which gives an instant decision.

In the mean time, I think VAR has a lot to offer in terms of penalties and red cards, but it should stop there. There are a number of rule improvements needed here but it feels like we could get to a fair system, especially if it had a "coach's challenge" limitation.

I'm not in favour of VAR with the current setup, but I'm even less interested in coachs challenges. We've seen this in other sports and its ridiculous. Teams have to make certain challenges because even though the offside is exceedingly minimal or unlikely, they have to at least try. It's not something we need.

All of these VAR applications (across sports) are weird. Before we had them, I was for sure onside. I thought that they would make the games better because the officiating would be fair and better. That's not what's happened at all. It's made sport worse. You can't celebrate goals, or if you do, you get that bitter disappointment that someones shoe lace was undone. Or heaven forbid the player pointed to where he'd like the pass to go!

I wouldn't have believed it myself, but eh way to better games is less review and less perfect officiating. Of course that's infuriating at times, and there should be an obvious mechanism for when a player is 10 feet offside and somehow the linesman misses it. So give the VAR official two looks at half speed and if they can't make the call based on that, it's not enough to worry about.

Leeds v West Ham last night.

Penalty retaken because Fabianski's feet were 2 inches in front of the line when the kick was taken.

It's a shame they didn't take his arse into account. It was 100% legal.

Back
Top Bottom