Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I just watched the replay of the England v. Argentina under 20 WC game and saw that the Referee employed video replay to send of an Argentine player for an elbow that was initially not deemed a foul by the referee on the pitch.

It's an interesting concept. I thought the elbow was a foul and I thought it was likely a red card. I can just see this having a significant impact in important games going forward. Will be interesting to watch.

SpursNole

From 2-0 to 1-1. It was the correct decision but I don't want it.

I don't want the intervention, the fucking about. Football is human, it's played and officiated by humans who all make mistakes. Take away the human element of the game and it's changed for the worse. It becomes very different, the pandemonium after a goal is scored will be diluted as all heads turn to the ref, is it safe to celebrate yet? Takes all the spontaneity out of the game, the only feeling felt after a goal will be relief not joy and even more anger if you've had a decision overturned.

If you've been wronged by a decision the game still becomes etched into your history (Medes from the half way line), had it gone in it wouldn't be talked about as much as the goal that should have been.

I hope this thing falls on its arse. We should be looking to speed the game up, not slow it down. The faster it becomes the more mistakes, the more mistakes the greater the excitement, the more excitement the better the game will be. Mistakes are caused by humans.

It can be a good thing but I don't want them to start analysing every decision / goal like its starting to in cricket or rugby. I just want it for the controversial stuff. Also, I can't remember the game, it was preseason, where the video ref made a complete hash of the decision, imo. You have to remember they're only human, influenced by the big club monopolies, or open to bribes.

I don't want the intervention, the fucking about. Football is human, it's played and officiated by humans who all make mistakes. Take away the human element of the game and it's changed for the worse. It becomes very different, the pandemonium after a goal is scored will be diluted as all heads turn to the ref, is it safe to celebrate yet? Takes all the spontaneity out of the game, the only feeling felt after a goal will be relief not joy and even more anger if you've had a decision overturned.

If you've been wronged by a decision the game still becomes etched into your history (Medes from the half way line), had it gone in it wouldn't be talked about as much as the goal that should have been.

I hope this thing falls on its arse. We should be looking to speed the game up, not slow it down. The faster it becomes the more mistakes, the more mistakes the greater the excitement, the more excitement the better the game will be. Mistakes are caused by humans.

If that had happened against Spurs, and the technology was available and not used I would be fucking livid. As much as mistakes = excitement, they also cost points. I personally don't think that the instance here has spoiled the game at all. It hasn't improved the spectacle, but it has got the right result..

If that had happened against Spurs, and the technology was available and not used I would be fucking livid. As much as mistakes = excitement, they also cost points. I personally don't think that the instance here has spoiled the game at all. It hasn't improved the spectacle, but it has got the right result..
Being livid about a wrong decision is part of the game. I was livid when Mendes's goal wasn't given, ghost goal given vs the Chavs in 2012 FA Semi, Moses dive last year and countless others. Football is a game of mistakes, forcing them and taking advantage of them, or reducing them.

I'd far rather not stop the game, keep it flowing, do away with stopping the game for injuries and calling on doctors, allow them on just keep playing. After every incident players swarming around the ref screaming for the use of VAR.

It will never end, stop for pens, then offsides, shirt pulling, inactive/active offsides, red cards etc. And after a couple of years when it becomes the "norm" we will cut to a commercial brake whilst waiting for the decision, brought to you by PaddyPower, shown on the telly or on the big screens in the stadiums, offering odds of 20-1 with wi-fi in the stadiums 60,000 people with their heads bowed in their phones placing instant in game bets, then raging when they lose, taking that rage out on the next player to make a mistake, fans screaming for VAR, players screaming for VAR and so the circle will go. I give you the future of football.

The controversies are part and parcel of the game, IMO. When a decision goes against us, yes of course I get annoyed, but as long as it's the same for everyone, I'm OK with that. The only thing I would introduce is automatic time keeping.

I'm not sure that it needs to lead to the dystopian footballing future of your prophecy. However I do see the risk that once it's in it's unstoppable. But whatever way you look at it it's coming. There's no way it isn't. I hope those in charge strike an acceptable balance for it's use. But using the current example in isolation I think it played out perfectly today.

The game didn't stop until the next natural break. It didn't take an inordinate amount of time to review it. The correct decision was made. Everyone got on with the game, content that the right outcome was reached. I know this won't always be the case, but the more it gets used the better | think it will get.

Stick your VAR up your fucking arse. I've always been against it and now having witnessed the cunting thing in the flesh it's far, far worse than I even thought imaginable. Absolutely no fucking idea what is going on, score a goal, best not celebrate it, best wait for 5mins before it's given or not. Surely those that are in favour of it have to admit it's a pile of wank. Accept football is about mistakes, mistakes forced, mistakes unforced, mistakes from the ref, from the players, from the managers, it's what football is.

Just a load of old cock.

Last edited:
I HATE it. Destroys the flow of the game. And checking every goal to see if it's 100% legitimate is utter bollocks as you can only half-heatedly celebrate for fear of being bitterly disappointed.

Apparently 8+ mins should have been added to that half. Notice how only 5 were added because the refs don't wanna embarrass themselves by whacking the real number on the board. It's pathetic.

Last edited:

This .

Mostly the inability to celebrate properly for all concerned

Prescient indeed

First time I've seen this clip. My reaction to it was that if there was no VAR the ref would have most likely had the confidence to immediately call for the penalty and avoided this totally absurd situation. Which is a huge issue with the system. It either undermines refs, makes them less confident in their decisions or just lazy. It's going to lead to a huge lowering of standards the longer it's a part of the sport.

First time I've seen this clip. My reaction to it was that if there was no VAR the ref would have most likely had the confidence to immediately call for the penalty and avoided this totally absurd situation. Which is a huge issue with the system. It either undermines refs, makes them less confident in their decisions or just lazy. It's going to lead to a huge lowering of standards the longer it's a part of the sport.
Less a problem of the system and more a problem of the refs, who shouldn't need VAR to make easy decisions. Today was a joke. VAR should be consulted on difficult decisions, not moment to moment to second guess everything.

Less a problem of the system and more a problem of the refs, who shouldn't need VAR to make easy decisions. Today was a joke. VAR should be consulted on difficult decisions, not moment to moment to second guess everything.
The problem is that, as far as I can tell, it's not really clearly defined where the ref defers and the VAR kicks in. On the commentary tonight they said the VAR reviews every decision, which in my opinion is a terrible way to implement it as it means for everything the ref has to wait for the okay before clearing it. But then if it's set at the ref only asks when he's unsure otherwise the VAR doesn't interfere how do we (and the ref) know when he's 100% sure? If he has a system on standby it becomes a lot easier to just rely on that.

I don't know how this can be worked out. Some people say that each team should have a set number of appeals per match. But I just see that being used for gamesmanship and managers slowing down the last few minutes by using appeals then, a bit like making substitutions in the 90th minute. Keeping VAR away from player and manager appeals seems necessary to me.

It is also really boring that half-time and post-match analysis now is almost entirely about VAR. This isn't what I find entertaining about football.

Video referee isnt necessarily the problem but the way they're using it is beyond ridiculous. Until they sort that part out, it needs to be left out.

Or just use it for things that the referee didn't see.

I HATE it. Destroys the flow of the game. And checking every goal to see if it's 100% legitimate is utter bollocks as you can only half-heatedly celebrate for fear of being bitterly disappointed.

Apparently 8+ mins should have been added to that half. Notice how only 5 were added because the refs don't wanna embarrass themselves by whacking the real number on the board. It's pathetic.
So you rather have shocking cheating (Henry vs Ireland) and ridiculous offside goals instead?

Back
Top Bottom