Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Shit rule and embarrassing that the referee forgot Lucas was fouled before he handled ball. Also shocking he missed the arm from Norwood into Son's face. Clear as yellow as you can see, but guess what VAR doesn't look at yellow card incidents. The whole system is flawed, either review everything and turn football into NFL with constant breaks or even better bin it.

Yep, if it takes longer and 57 views from 86 cameras it is most defiantly NOT clear OR obvious. Last nights decision was either farcical or just down right cheating. I still believe we played awful and got our arses served on a plate BUT it was still an incredibly bad bad decision.
The International Football Association Board (IFAB) has updated the Laws of the Game for the 2019/20 season.

Handballs

Any goal scored or created with the use of the hand or arm will be disallowed this season even if it is accidental.

The handball rule now has extra clarity because it does not consider intent by a player.

Another big change is to do with the position of a player's hand/arm.

If the ball hits a player who has made their body "unnaturally bigger" then a foul will be awarded.

IFAB says that having the hand/arm above shoulder height is rarely a "natural" position and a player is "taking a risk" by having the hand/arm in that position, including when sliding.

It is, however, considered natural for a player to put their arm between their body and the ground for support when falling, so long as the arm is not extended to make the body bigger.

Moura was falling and extended his arm for both protection and support. He wasn't even looking at the ball.So he wasn't trying to make himself bigger but unfortunately the first statement wipes all that out. It was accidental but that still counts.

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) has updated the Laws of the Game for the 2019/20 season.

Handballs

Any goal scored or created with the use of the hand or arm will be disallowed this season even if it is accidental.

The handball rule now has extra clarity because it does not consider intent by a player.

If the ball hits a player who has made their body "unnaturally bigger" then a foul will be awarded.

IFAB says that having the hand/arm above shoulder height is rarely a "natural" position and a player is "taking a risk" by having the hand/arm in that position, including when sliding.

It is, however, considered natural for a player to put their arm between their body and the ground for support when falling, so long as the arm is not extended to make the body bigger.

Moura was falling and extended his arm for both protection and support. He wasn't even looking at the ball.So he wasn't trying to make himself bigger but unfortunately the first statement wipes all that out. It was accidental but that still counts.
We were the first to benefit the crap rule away at City... Even though it helped us could see it was shit.

How the hell has Fernandes free kick been allowed. Matic heel looks offside.

They didn't even show the lines on VAR. The use of the pictures is just as inconsistent.

Rugby have used TMO the best. The one thing that ABSOLUTELY needs to come in is the transparency between on pitch officials and the VAR official. If we can hear how they come about with the decision then it enhances transparency and the VAR official can be held accountable for enforcing the rules as they are written.

At the moment the VAR official can make a decision and nobody knows how they came to that conclusion. When another VAR official can make a different decision for a similar scenario.

Handballs

Thanks for the laws Hagrid thats cool but could you tell for sure if Moura's arm touched the ball because I couldnt and there lies the problem and as you stated, if it was accidental it wipes out everything else, daft eh?

Thanks for the laws Hagrid thats cool but could you tell for sure if Moura's arm touched the ball because I couldnt and there lies the problem and as you stated, if it was accidental it wipes out everything else, daft eh?
When I was watching it looked like the ball was kicked against his arm, he knew nothing about it. Nevertheless as the stupid rule states, such contact technically constitutes 'handball' and if a goal results immediately from that then it must be disallowed.

I have just watched 2 matches where the ball hit a arm but VAR decided it wasn't handball. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY THEY CAME TO THIS DECISION given that our goal was chalked off ?

I have just watched 2 matches where the ball hit a arm but VAR decided it wasn't handball. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY THEY CAME TO THIS DECISION given that our goal was chalked off ?
If a goal was scored they decided it didn't hit their arm.

If it was a defender its not the same rule, it's unnatural position

Did a goal directly result from the incident ? (Not a penalty awarded but a goal scored from immediately after the contact took place ?)

No matter what the circumstances if the ball deflects off a player's arm and the result is that a goal is scored by his team as a direct result of that contact then the goal is disallowed. You have to seperate that from a penalty award incident , completely different scenario.

I don't understand why you disagreed with me earlier to be honest. Those are the rules.

Last edited:
Did a goal directly result from the incident ? (Not a penalty awarded but a goal scored from immediately after the contact took place ?)

No matter what the circumstances if the ball deflects off a player's arm and the result is that a goal is scored by his team as a direct result of that contact then the goal is disallowed. You have to seperate that from a penalty award incident , completely different scenario.

I don't understand why you disagreed with me earlier to be honest. Those are the rules.
Sorry I was disagreeing that it should be disallowed.
First we have a ball 3 feet over the line at Manure and now this !!

So in other words they use it (or not) when they see fit and can manipulate a result, or decide to slow down or quicken up the frames and create some line to suit a decision, like the Son disallowed goal against Leicester.
They can explain away anything as it's all horses for courses.

Back
Top Bottom