Video Assistant Referee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So in other words they use it (or not) when they see fit and can manipulate a result, or decide to slow down or quicken up the frames and create some line to suit a decision, like the Son disallowed goal against Leicester.
They can explain away anything as it's all horses for courses.
Yes, but like the handball in scoring they are also changing rules to suit VAR (making them black and white) not the good of the game.

Expect more rule changes that suit VAR but are detrimental to the game in the future. I can't see them admitting it's shit but will keep trying to improve it, but make the game worse.

Aside from the absurd handball rule, the worst thing about VAR in England is that we don’t insist on the referee making the final decision. It is insane that 99% of decisions in a match are made by the person with the whistle and the most important 1% are made by a completely different person.

The only function of the VAR should be to alert the referee to a potential mistake and recommend that they view a replay on the monitor. The VAR should not be making refereeing decisions of any kind, every referee applies the laws differently and you can’t have two different interpretations applied to one game. I agree with what Poch used to say, the referee should be the boss on the pitch and not have decisions made for him by someone else.

The way it worked in the CL last season was just fine. There were still contentious decisions but at least it was the referee who was making every single one.

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) has updated the Laws of the Game for the 2019/20 season.

Handballs

Any goal scored or created with the use of the hand or arm will be disallowed this season even if it is accidental.

The handball rule now has extra clarity because it does not consider intent by a player.

Another big change is to do with the position of a player's hand/arm.

If the ball hits a player who has made their body "unnaturally bigger" then a foul will be awarded.

IFAB says that having the hand/arm above shoulder height is rarely a "natural" position and a player is "taking a risk" by having the hand/arm in that position, including when sliding.

It is, however, considered natural for a player to put their arm between their body and the ground for support when falling, so long as the arm is not extended to make the body bigger.

Moura was falling and extended his arm for both protection and support. He wasn't even looking at the ball.So he wasn't trying to make himself bigger but unfortunately the first statement wipes all that out. It was accidental but that still counts.

Completely understand the rules - as bonkers as they are. However my issue in this case is the eyesight of the VAR official. There is no way on this planet he can be 100% certain that the ball actually hit Moura's arm...and if he says he is certain, then he's a liar. With the frame rate on the available footage, I thought it only hit Moura's back/back of his shoulder, and not his arm - but I could not be sure. Therefore the overriding rule in this case is "clear and obvious error by the on-field officials". Its not clear and obvious, goal stands.

Last edited:

What's even the point then?

We're not just talking about three different decisions we're talking about three different officials making those incorrect decisions. The system is completely broken.

I just... I don't get how it can be this bad. They could do better just by flipping a coin.

Back
Top Bottom